What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will iPad 3G purchased in USA work in UK?

andy p

iPF Noob
Reaction score
US ipads in Uk

I purchased my iPad in the US and I recently was in England and I am now in France.

While in the UK, I went to an O2 store and obtained a Microsim card from O2 AT NO COST. Once I connected the iPad to a computer with Itunes (a real pain while traveling without another computer) I had to set up an account and a system of paying (again not easy without a UK credit card), my iPad became a UK iPad -- using the O2 network for 3g connection at the local rates.

I'm still trying to work things out in France. Orange has fair rates, but they will not set up an account without you having a French bank account. Fortunately, I have a French friend who opened the account today -- and will eliminate the month to month coverage after I leave France. Of course, I paid for the actual charge as a payment between friends.

My current problem is the orange microsim card (again provided without charge) is locked, and I am clueless as to how to unlock it -- I will contact my friend to see if a password was set at the time the account was set up.

I hope that this helps.

Gilberto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Account o2 uk

I was wondering: how did you open an o2 account in uk without an uk credit card. I am also travelling and had the same kind of problems you had. In italy i was able to open a vodafone account paying cash. Thanks

alexjames93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad in the US and I recently was in England and I am now in France.

While in the UK, I went to an O2 store and obtained a Microsim card from O2 AT NO COST. Once I connected the iPad to a computer with Itunes (a real pain while traveling without another computer) I had to set up an account and a system of paying (again not easy without a UK credit card), my iPad became a UK iPad -- using the O2 network for 3g connection at the local rates.

I'm still trying to work things out in France. Orange has fair rates, but they will not set up an account without you having a French bank account. Fortunately, I have a French friend who opened the account today -- and will eliminate the month to month coverage after I leave France. Of course, I paid for the actual charge as a payment between friends.

My current problem is the orange microsim card (again provided without charge) is locked, and I am clueless as to how to unlock it -- I will contact my friend to see if a password was set at the time the account was set up.

I hope that this helps.

Hi, This all sounds great,
can you confrim that:

1. It definatly works in the UK with no issues
2. That you had to wait until you got back to the UK to turn the ipad on

Thanks!

Hopedm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Olympics bound

I do not have a 3G ,so how can I use my iPad in London? I have a 4.2.1, 14 GB model.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopedm said:
I do not have a 3G ,so how can I use my iPad in London? I have a 4.2.1, 14 GB model.

You could invest in myfi personal hotspot as soon as you get here. Lots of hotels have wifi available as do places like Starbucks and I've no doubt there will be a lot of wifi networks opening up in and around the Olympic site......at a price!

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of free and pay-for WiFi hotspots in London; you'll have no trouble at all, as the previous poster suggested. Most franchises - Starbucks, MacDonalds etc have them, hotels, public libraries, public buildings, trains, some buses, airport departure lounges, malls, the list is endless. In fact, I'd be surprised if there's anywhere in London where you *can't* pick up WiFi - though now I'm going to be deluged with posts telling me I'm wrong......

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts