What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Ipad-2 3g bought in USA work in other countries with their respective carriers??

sauravkeshan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not stay in US but im visiting SanFrancisco and I plan to buy a 3g ipad2..so can I use the sim of my carrier when I get back to my country???

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
sauravkeshan said:
I do not stay in US but im visiting SanFrancisco and I plan to buy a 3g ipad2..so can I use the sim of my carrier when I get back to my country???

According to Apple, yes, you just need to purchase a micro sim card from said carrier

I bleed in 6 colours

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

First of all, you need to purchase the AT&T model and not the Verizon iPad. The Verizon model will not work in most other countries.

Most - but not all - Members have found that they need to 'initialise' the 3G service on their iPad in the US before returning home. It seems as though the software on the AT&T iPad leads you through an initialisation process that is specific to AT&T. Once you've done that, for sure, it works just fine with any other microSIM. As to whether this US initialisation is absolutely necessary, we've received conflicting reports but by far the majority of Members who have purchased iPads in the US initialise them there and, for sure, we've had reports from Members who have not and have then been unable to get them working in their home country. But, to be fair, some apparently have been able to do this.

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The initialization is not necessary, however if you want to use it in the US you will need to call AT&T and give them your IMEI number when you dignity up for a plan. You can find this in the About section

I've done this with three different iPads now, purchased in the US, shipped abroad without activating in the US, then returning to the US and setting up with AT&T

-t

OP
S

sauravkeshan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The initialization is not necessary, however if you want to use it in the US you will need to call AT&T and give them your IMEI number when you dignity up for a plan. You can find this in the About section

I've done this with three different iPads now, purchased in the US, shipped abroad without activating in the US, then returning to the US and setting up with AT&T

-t

Thanks for the reply..When you went abroad did you use the ipad 3g with the microsim of the carriers in the respective countries you went to??

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. I'm currently in Malaysia with two iPads purchased in the US and never "activated" with the AT&T SIM.

When I return to the US for a month this summer, I will call AT&T and sign up for one month service, giving them the code to activate my SIM card.

Then when I return to Malaysia, I'll just swap SIM cards back.

-t

Sagittarii

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hello,
Did you managed to buy the Ipad2? Does it work with other carrier?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads are not carrier locked. They will work on any GSM network that supports data.

grapesx2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm living in Greece and have not been able to use another sim card in my iPad 2 (purchased in the US with ATT sim card) and, in fact Apple told me to check into an international plan with ATT (this advice came from a support call supervisor!) which made me laugh as they had just told me it's an unlocked device. However, I see on this forum that some folks have to initialize the iPad and I have seen other discussions talking about changing the APN settings a topic about which I'm not conversant.

I will be going to the States for a bit and plan to talk to Apple about this frustration but any thoughts or ideas or recommendations are appreciated!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Cosmote, many locations for SIM cards:

COSMOTE: Mobile Internet on your computer

AT&T iPads should be unlocked.

Carriers in some countries sell locked iPads, but those are sold subsidized, so they're locked so that the carrier can recoup its subsidy by locking buyers into a data contract. If you paid full retail for your iPad, it shouldn't be locked.

grapesx2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Cosmote, many locations for SIM cards:

AT&T iPads should be unlocked.

Carriers in some countries sell locked iPads, but those are sold subsidized, so they're locked so that the carrier can recoup its subsidy by locking buyers into a data contract. If you paid full retail for your iPad, it shouldn't be locked.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I have tried Cosmote twice and the tech inserting it says it is not working despite comparing it to his own iPad there in the store (so he knows what he's doing apparently); is there something else we need to do other than simply insert a new sim card--e.g. change some settings?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I have tried Cosmote twice and the tech inserting it says it is not working despite comparing it to his own iPad there in the store (so he knows what he's doing apparently); is there something else we need to do other than simply insert a new sim card--e.g. change some settings?

There are some settings that need changing sometimes, but I don't know which. I bought my iPad in one country and used it in another for the first time, and the guy in the carrier shop knew which settings to change. But I don't know whether that's necessary for all countries, because I've also gone to some other places and was able to use my iPad by just changing SIM cards. Maybe you should try another shop or another salesperson, because they might know different things. The guy whom you dealt with might not know to adjust settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts