What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Jailbreak with Release 4 imminent?

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, the only reasons I've seen anyone cite for jailbreaking has been themes and multi-tasking. I've searched the Cydia store and most apps up there are utilities that still don't really unlock "new" potentials (like running a VM on the system or access the filesystem and being able to open files with installed applications)...

So with release 4 coming out in the fall (for iPad) which supports multi-tasking, why Jailbreak at this point?

I'm not seeing the significant value now, although I certainly did in the past for iPhone users...

Just trying to better understand the value proposition.

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I jailbroke my 3G was to tether it to my wifi iPad. At this point I am still on the 10 day trial and not sure what I am going to do yet!

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that is exactly my point. The most features I need the JB right now, which will come with 4.0. And unless somebody comes up with "the" killer-app, I don't see a reason for JB once 4.0 is out.

In regards to the iPhone, I've done the same, although my phone was jailbroken anyways. Now I loaded the trial and my MiFi-mouse just arrived yesterday in my office. Once I got it working, I'll give you a full update.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You answered your own question. I want it to multitask now...then in fall I'll update to 4 no loss only gain. It takes about 6 seconds to do...guess my question is why wouldn't you?

OP
M

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You answered your own question. I want it to multitask now...then in fall I'll update to 4 no loss only gain. It takes about 6 seconds to do...guess my question is why wouldn't you?

So (because I'm a jailbreak noob):
If I run Spirit now I can put the multi-task app on it now. When R4 comes out, iTunes will just run its update on my iPad like a regular, un-broken iPad, no harm, no fowl?

I didn't realize it was that easy.

And I can still buy/synch books, music, movies, apps from iTunes in the interim?

Thanks!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So (because I'm a jailbreak noob):
If I run Spirit now I can put the multi-task app on it now. When R4 comes out, iTunes will just run its update on my iPad like a regular, un-broken iPad, no harm, no fowl?

I didn't realize it was that easy.

And I can still buy/synch books, music, movies, apps from iTunes in the interim?

Thanks!

You can still use it as you normally would and when 4 comes out you will have to do a backup and restore instead of just install it. It adds one little step but other than that yes, no harm no foul.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5165750_unjailbreak-iphone-through-restore.html

Last edited:

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I am kinda confused. You act as if the jailbreak is permanent and there is no going back. Despite OS4 coming, it will not be perfect for everyone and people will still have their reasons for needing to jailbreak. Many folks like some of the Apps that Cydia offers, that will never be on the App store.

OP
M

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I am kinda confused. You act as if the jailbreak is permanent and there is no going back. Despite OS4 coming, it will not be perfect for everyone and people will still have their reasons for needing to jailbreak. Many folks like some of the Apps that Cydia offers, that will never be on the App store.

As an admitted Jailbreak noob, I'm not implying, just asking... I've seen horror stories of bricked iPhones and buggy, unstable stuff. I read something a week ago that said that the iPad isn't really as open to problems because there is no baseband software.

What Cydia apps will never be in the App store? That's what I'm asking as well - what (aside from multi-tasking) do people use?

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As an admitted Jailbreak noob, I'm not implying, just asking... I've seen horror stories of bricked iPhones and buggy, unstable stuff. I read something a week ago that said that the iPad isn't really as open to problems because there is no baseband software.

What Cydia apps will never be in the App store? That's what I'm asking as well - what (aside from multi-tasking) do people use?
I personally like GV Mobile +, SBsettings to name a couple but there are quiet a few good apps on Cydia. Alot of folks like to tether, so they use MyWi which is available on Cydia. OS4 does not support tethering does it? Sorry, I have only read a little on it.

Gazuga6176

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not?

If you have the sweetest, newest technology, why not exploit it to it's fullest potential? The most fun I've had with my jail broken iPad? Talking on skype while surfing the web. Tried to get pandora going while skyping and browsing.... A no go so far.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You forget those to whom no territory should remain uncharted or unexplored. Some can never be satisfied with an industrial product without personalizing it out of its boundaries.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen any steampunking yet...:p

michael reynaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blacktoaster.com
yeah jailbreak can be totally undone, takes less than a minute to do and is pretty idiot proof, just do a little looking around first.

there are lists all over the web telling you which JB apps work well and which will cause problems, just stay away from the problem apps.

OS 4 will not be available for the iPad until fall, I wanted multitasking now.

backgrounder, SBSettings, VOIP apps, those were the main reasons for me. Jailbroke my iPad as soon as I found out Spirit was available and have experienced absolutely no issues.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
backgrounder, SBSettings, VOIP apps, those were the main reasons for me. Jailbroke my iPad as soon as I found out Spirit was available and have experienced absolutely no issues.

Exactly the apps I use the jailbreak for. I love SBSettings and SBS-VPN-toggle.
And I haven't had no issues at all with Spirit. Foolproof.;)

U62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've JB my wifi 32GB for the following:-

1. SBSettings - I love the additional dock and quick switches.
2. ForceFull - Runs many (not all) iPhone apps in proper full screen.
3. Backgrounder - Multitasking
4. Categories - I like folders, and these ones are fully customisable.
5. Winterboard - Additional customisation.

That's about it for now. I doubt I'll be updating to 4.0 until the JB comes out for it.

Most reactions

Latest posts