What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why does people dont interested in Verzion Ipad 2?

burntice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was close to getting the iPad2 VZ as well. After doing extensived research and getting over my indeciveness between Att vs VZ data plan, I'm so glad I went with 3G Att version. First, I am already an exceptional ATT customer and second I want to have my iPad/iPhone in one bill. Asides from that, I saw the YouTube on Att vs VZ's speed data and Att's speed is way faster. I don't really care for the gsm thing since I don't go overseas. You are probably asking why I don't do hotspot with my iphone instead. Main reason is I want to protect from losing my unlimited data for my iPhone. And convenience is priceless to me. My first iPad was just a wifi and my experienced with wifi was just a mediocre experinced because it was wifi dependent whereas my 3G iPad now, I am more excited and motivated to take it along with me. Knowing that I can connect anywhere with it and not having to rely to go to a coffee shop and wifi places is the biggest part and more enjoyable iPad experience I ever had.
You sound like me....I got a feeling AT&T is going to find a way to boot us off our Iphone unlimited somehow....

Also GSM devices have a much higher resell value on the open market!!!

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was close to getting the iPad2 VZ as well. After doing extensived research and getting over my indeciveness between Att vs VZ data plan, I'm so glad I went with 3G Att version. First, I am already an exceptional ATT customer and second I want to have my iPad/iPhone in one bill. Asides from that, I saw the YouTube on Att vs VZ's speed data and Att's speed is way faster. I don't really care for the gsm thing since I don't go overseas. You are probably asking why I don't do hotspot with my iphone instead. Main reason is I want to protect from losing my unlimited data for my iPhone. And convenience is priceless to me. My first iPad was just a wifi and my experienced with wifi was just a mediocre experinced because it was wifi dependent whereas my 3G iPad now, I am more excited and motivated to take it along with me. Knowing that I can connect anywhere with it and not having to rely to go to a coffee shop and wifi places is the biggest part and more enjoyable iPad experience I ever had.
You sound like me....I got a feeling AT&T is going to find a way to boot us off our Iphone unlimited somehow....

Interesting, do you have any documentation for this?

A quick check at the eBay shows both versions of the iPad 2 selling for the same price. The same is true for the ATT and Verizon versions of the iPhone 4 on eBay.

Last edited:

burntice

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A quick check at the eBay shows both versions of the iPad 2 selling for the same price. The same is true for the ATT and Verizon versions of the iPhone 4 on eBay.

Don't need documentation. I have been selling GSM devices for years. Most of those listings on Ebay are locked to USA only folks don't want the hassle with international shipping when they can bring profits from the black market in the US. Believe me when everyone is ready to dump their Ipad2's for ipad3's those who decide to ship international will make buckets.
I am on my 4th gen of Iphone's from At&T and everyone that I have used for a year I have been able to sale for more that I paid 12 months prior...

Its simple... is my device available to the world or limited to the US?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GSM delivers data twice as quickly as CDMA

as is born out in countless studies. That alone was more than enough for me to choose AT&T time and again for my iphones and ipads as well. That you can also use it in Canada and most of Europe where Verizon's CDMA does not work at all is the tipping over the edge feature.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Don't need documentation. I have been selling GSM devices for years. Most of those listings on Ebay are locked to USA only folks don't want the hassle with international shipping when they can bring profits from the black market in the US. Believe me when everyone is ready to dump their Ipad2's for ipad3's those who decide to ship international will make buckets.
I am on my 4th gen of Iphone's from At&T and everyone that I have used for a year I have been able to sale for more that I paid 12 months prior...

Its simple... is my device available to the world or limited to the US?

The non-GSM iPads and iphones have only been available for months. How would anyone have years of experience in the relative value of the devices? The only documentation would be sites like at eBay, everything else is conjecture.

International travel is probably one of the lesser consideration for most people buying an iPad in the US. Of the 12 people I know who own iPads none of them plan to take them abroad. But for those who need international capability the ATT iPad would be best.

burntice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are obviously missing the point. I have sold gsm devices to buyers in many countries. Those who reside in the US have nothing to do with my point. There are tons of folks in the US anxiously waiting for an iPad imagine those in other countries if you care to see you will. Have a wonderful weekend!

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real reasons are that IOS devices were offered to AT&T customers almost 5 years before VZW customers got it, so the loyal AT&T customers stayed with the AT&T IOS Ipad 2, whereas, IOS is new to VZW customers, so they haven't been as quick to grab one. Because of the exclusivity to ATT, there are a lot more ATT IOS customers, and they chose to stick with their carrier, which makes sense. Also, ATT's data is a little faster than VZW's on average. It's funny how people say " 2 times as fast", which isn't true. And again, as has been noted, the ATT version has a sim card and can be used overseas. I am a customer of both ATT and VZW, but I don't go overseas very often, so that doesn't matter to me.

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 3G iPad for the simple fact that it has a GPS chip in it; wifi versions don't. I plan to mount it in my jeep in the summer and use a map app that utilizes stored maps for back-country navigation. When I showed up at Best Buy on iPad day at 5:00pm, I grabbed one of the very last iPads available - it happened to be a 64g Verizon. Will I ever actually activate the 3G services? Most likely not.

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DevinB - off topic, but how will you mount your iPad and which gps app will you use that uses pre-stored maps?

The GPS function of the iPad is one of my main reasons for ordering it... and I want to use it off road and even hiking... seeing maps on that large screen should be an experience. I'll also need to find a good cover -- I'd like one that protects and also is rain proof... preferable closes so drizzle/rain won't get the iPad wet.

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to grab a Verizon 3g model the other day as that is all that is available locally right now. But when the salesman told me that it costs $20 a month for only 1gb where ATT costs $20 for 2gb, I passed. Is this true? It would be nice to have the option of 3g on rare occasion and the GPS feature would be nice to have.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prices

I was going to grab a Verizon 3g model the other day as that is all that is available locally right now. But when the salesman told me that it costs $20 a month for only 1gb where ATT costs $20 for 2gb, I passed. Is this true? It would be nice to have the option of 3g on rare occasion and the GPS feature would be nice to have.

Here’s the 3G data plans AT&T and Verizon offers:

AT&T Domestic US Plans
250MB $14.99
2.0GB $25.00

Verizon Domestic US Plans
1.0GB $20.00*+ $20 per GB over
3.0GB $35.00*+ $10 per GB over
5.0GB $50.00*+ $10 per GB over
10.0GB $80.00*+ $10 per GB over

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The salesman wasn't being truthful. ATT does not have a 2gb plan for $20.

Check how much data you actually use so you're not paying too much. I had never checked my ATT data usage on my IPad 1 since I had the unlimited plan. When I checked, I had never gone much over 800mb per month (and never over 1gb) even with what I thought was fairly heavy data use per day. The Verizon $20 per month 1gb plan was more than I would need, and it's cheaper than the unlimited plan I had on ATT.

It's important to make these kind of decisions based on personal usage and research. Never trust a salesperson for critical information.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's funny how people say " 2 times as fast", which isn't true.

It is true, where I live. But you left out an important part of my quote which I have stated clearly in my posts, "where I live." This seems to be perceived as some kind of attack by ATT users, it's not. I had an ATT iPad for almost a year and switched to Verizon only because of slow network data speeds due to network congestion, "where I live."

Let me ask, what would you do if you found that ATT was VERY slow during peak business hours, and Verizon was almost twice as fast due to higher local network capacity where you live and work. Would you stay with ATT?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who freakin' cares but the iPad owner? Isn't this like asking "which is better, Coke or Pepsi?"
It's all what works for the individual owner. Not everything is about resale value or international usage. I don't care what resale value my minivan can get, I only care if it works for me & my family. I don't care what channels I can watch in London since I have zero plans on going there.
Point is this: we make choices. We make choices based on many things important to the INDIVIDUAL. Verizon vs AT&T. Does my choice matter to anyone else but me? Should it? Nope. To each his own. Choice is a beautiful thing.

You are my new BFF.:D

Most reactions

Latest posts