What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 UK launch

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am going to buy the IPad 2 when it comes out next week. Unfortunately I am not able to get to an apple store on the Friday release. I am a bit of a newbie to apple releases so I need a bit of advice. I can either order online at home as soon as it becomes available (does anyone know when this is likely to be! I would guess Friday morning at midnight but I am probably wrong) or go to an apple store early Saturday morning. I asked in the apple store today and the guy I spoke to today said they were expecting 1500 people to queue and that I should arrive 1-2 hours early. If I where to do this I would arrive a little earlier than 2 hours before as he would have been telling everyone 2 hours. I am happy to do this but I am not sure if they would even have any stock if I did get to the front of the queue. I am wondering if they will be receiving stock daily.

So do you think I am better of ordering online and waiting for it or risking it and going in store (this is my preferred choice if I could get one there as I am eager to get one ASAP)

P.S to any american who went early the next day to buy an ipad 2 - was there much/any stock available the day after release and were there many people queuing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

chazmink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jameswilby5 said:
Hi everyone,

I am going to buy the IPad 2 when it comes out next week. Unfortunately I am not able to get to an apple store on the Friday release. I am a bit of a newbie to apple releases so I need a bit of advice. I can either order online at home as soon as it becomes available (does anyone know when this is likely to be! I would guess Friday morning at midnight but I am probably wrong) or go to an apple store early Saturday morning. I asked in the apple store today and the guy I spoke to today said they were expecting 1500 people to queue and that I should arrive 1-2 hours early. If I where to do this I would arrive a little earlier than 2 hours before as he would have been telling everyone 2 hours. I am happy to do this but I am not sure if they would even have any stock if I did get to the front of the queue. I am wondering if they will be receiving stock daily.

So do you think I am better of ordering online and waiting for it or risking it and going in store (this is my preferred choice if I could get one there as I am eager to get one ASAP)

P.S to any american who went early the next day to buy an ipad 2 - was there much/any stock available the day after release and were there many people queuing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here is one American's experience. I successfully queues up for a couple of iPhone launches but chose not to do that this time. I did venture out a few hours after launch to a couple of Apple stores as well as two Best Buys, Walmart and two Targets, all big box stores.......all to no avail. I am not aware of any stock that was available for the rest of the weekend. Since then, I have made many phone calls, queued up at the Apple store before opening time and I still don't have one. I am looking for a black 64gb wifi. I could have had one yesterday or today but it was 40 miles away. I ordered on line on 15 March and expect it to arrive in a week or so.

Bottom line- if I had to do it again I would simply order online from Apple. In the eastern time zone we could have done that 0400 whereas the store launch was 1700.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Charlie
Mount Laurel, NJ

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the comments! I am still undecided though. I really want to go on the saturday morning as I am very eager to get an IPad 2! However it is a very big risk as they may not even have any. Especially the way things are in America with stock being so low and the Japan earthquake/tsunami meaning parts are low. I think I will end up playing it safe and ordering online.

Any other opinions/experiences would be great :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jameswilby5 said:
thanks for the comments! I am still undecided though. I really want to go on the saturday morning as I am very eager to get an IPad 2! However it is a very big risk as they may not even have any. Especially the way things are in America with stock being so low and the Japan earthquake/tsunami meaning parts are low. I think I will end up playing it safe and ordering online.

Any other opinions/experiences would be great :)

Without knowing what stock levels they have on the Friday it's impossible to know but best guess is that they will all be gone on the same day......if new stock arrives the day after then you will be in luck.....it's a gamble!

The Archangel

chazmink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jim,
Order online and go to the store on Saturday. If you are lucky at the store, cancel the online order. No harm, no foul.
Charlie

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Gabriel - yer I was gambling on the fact that they would get stock in but am hesitant because of the situation in America and that some countries have had the release date delayed by a month.

@chazmink - that is a very good plan I might try that. However if I were to buy online it would be a soon as it becomes available which is most likely midnight friday morning. So I am wondering if they would dispatch it Friday. However I am going to be getting 2, one for me and one for my dad. But he is in less of a rush to get one so I could order one online and get one in store. Whichever one arrives first I keep. :D

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Hasty. Good to know everything is on track. It always amazes me how apple products are always understocked on launch. There is always massive queues to get the latest product. Why they can't just make enough. :D

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
UK Pricing has just been released and prices have dropped. :)

Pricing will be as follows: £399.00 inc VAT (£332.50 ex VAT) for the 16GB model, £479.00 inc VAT (£399.17 ex VAT) for the 32GB model, £559.00 inc VAT (£465.83 ex VAT) for the 64GB model. The iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of £499.00 inc VAT (£415.83 ex VAT) for the 16GB model, £579.00 inc VAT (£482.50 ex VAT) for the 32GB model and £659.00 inc VAT (£549.17 ex VAT) for the 64GB model

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tbh I think that Apple has released iPad2 a little earlier than they would normally do to preempt the competition. As a result they don't have the level of stock they would have preferred.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Pricing will be as follows: £399.00 inc VAT (£332.50 ex VAT) for the 16GB model, £479.00 inc VAT (£399.17 ex VAT) for the 32GB model, £559.00 inc VAT (£465.83 ex VAT) for the 64GB model. The iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of £499.00 inc VAT (£415.83 ex VAT) for the 16GB model, £579.00 inc VAT (£482.50 ex VAT) for the 32GB model and £659.00 inc VAT (£549.17 ex VAT) for the 64GB model

Thanks for the news - it's great to finally have the prices confirmed.

It will be interesting to see if we get the queues they've had in the US.

Tim
Scotland

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys are them prices confirmed, I have just spoken to Apple store again yes they expecting stock but not launching until 5pm Friday what a bummer...

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score

is this definate mate

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks for the news - it's great to finally have the prices confirmed.

It will be interesting to see if we get the queues they've had in the US.

Tim
Scotland

Hmm, I ordered £440 worth of vouchers for Currys/PCWorld at a discounted rate so seems I will have £40 left over. I'm still refusing to buy a smart cover.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

is this definate mate

As definite as can be expected. Also had a couple of people in the retail industry confirmed the prices this afternoon. One guy on AVForums last night said there would be a pleasant surprise regarding UK pricing but couldn't say any more until today so clearly he was privy to this information. :)

iPad 2 UK launch time, pricing announced - Digital Lifestyle - Macworld UK

Most reactions