What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA iPad 2 AT&T

fatwallet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, This my 1st post, I have a colleague at work who's son is nearly always in America with the Airforce and I've asked him to pick me up an iPad2 32/64 GB 3G/Wifi model. The little bit of research I've done, seems to says that I can put any UK micro sim into it and it will work fine? I understand that it can't be a Verzion iPad as they Verzion use a different 3G system to the UK.

Can any one please confirm if this is true?

Thanks in advance.

Fatwallet aka Adrian.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, This my 1st post, I have a colleague at work who's son is nearly always in America with the Airforce and I've asked him to pick me up an iPad2 32/64 GB 3G/Wifi model. The little bit of research I've done, seems to says that I can put any UK micro sim into it and it will work fine? I understand that it can't be a Verzion iPad as they Verzion use a different 3G system to the UK.

Can any one please confirm if this is true?

Thanks in advance.

Fatwallet aka Adrian.

That's correct. The AT&T iPad will work fine on a UK microSIM. You'll see there's some discussion in this Forum as to whether the iPad needs to be initialised on the AT&T network first in the US before returning it to the UK. Some Members have found difficulty if the iPad was not first used in the US on AT&T while others have suggested that this is not necessary. There doesn't yet seem to be a definitive answer but, for sure, the iPad works just fine in the UK.

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just received 4 more US iPads in Malaysia and just installed a local SIM. Nothing special required.

This makes 22 iPads configured without initializing with the AT&T SIM first.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - thanks - I'll remove the caveat now about initialising in the US and assume that those Members who have had difficulties were experiencing a problem unrelated to this issue. Thanks.

Tim

jaxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to install local (Malaysia) SIM?

I just received 4 more US iPads in Malaysia and just installed a local SIM. Nothing special required.

This makes 22 iPads configured without initializing with the AT&T SIM first.

-t

Hi t,
Thanks. I will be traveling to Malaysia with my non US activated ATT IPAD2, and will need to use the 3G in Malaysia. What's your step-by-step to insatll local SIM? Would this work for IPAD2? Thanks much.
J

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Push in the pin to eject the AT&T sim and replace it with a local SIM that's activated with a data plan.... Done.

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts