What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 UK launch

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So how bad do you think the queues will be in the UK? Were they big last year?
Im thinking of going down to my local apple store at maybe 6am, but I dont know if that'll be too early or too late.
Anyone else brave/crazy enough to be doing this aswell? My wife thinks Im totally crazy for wasting an entire day.

A bit early. They go on sale @ 5pm.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
That sounds like a good idea. Could you keep us posted on how that goes! :D

just spoke to them

they said you can get a refund at any time, but it's easier and faster to refund if you cancel your order before they've posted it out to you.

in the old days, when items were in stock, they'd quite often have a turnaround time between online ordering and shipping of as little as a couple of hours. i know this has dramatically slipped of recent times.

also, she couldn't tell me anything of ipad2 stocks, let alone shipping times.

so for me, i'm going to order online, and if the shipping says anything longer than 1-2 weeks then i'll go look in a shop within this time and cancel my online order if needs be.

bobbydrake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never having queued for an Apple product before what do people think the best options are? Go to an Apple store (or try Best Buy/PC World) and as not on sale till 5pm what woudl be a reasonable time to start queueing? I rang the local PC World and they said they would only have a few units in on Friday and then a lot more would be on sale next Monday so I suppose that could be a possible back-up...

lucasite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im thinking of going down to my local apple store at maybe 6am, but I dont know if that'll be too early or too late.
Anyone else brave/crazy enough to be doing this aswell? My wife thinks Im totally crazy for wasting an entire day.

Im not so sure. All we've heard about is mass queues everywhere. Cant really predict what turn out will be like, but it'll be big.

But Im gonna go to an Apple store in south London, Im sure it'll be just as manic!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Im not so sure. All we've heard about is mass queues everywhere. Cant really predict what turn out will be like, but it'll be big.

But Im gonna go to an Apple store in south London, Im sure it'll be just as manic!

Power to you if you are happy to queue for 11 hours. I think I would take my chance with some of the lesser retailers like Currys / PC World etc.

lucasite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Power to you if you are happy to queue for 11 hours. I think I would take my chance with some of the lesser retailers like Currys / PC World etc.

ooooh, hang on. I thought it only went on sale at official apple stores? But pc world wont have as much stock will they?
maybe I better phone the local stores beforehand. hmmm

bobbydrake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just asked in Comet and they said they will definately be getting them in but won't know untill tomorrow how many they will have. I will call in again tomorrow night to ask. Just don't know where to go! Town centre with the Apple store and John Lewis or retail park with Comet, Argos and PC World - oh quandry!!

lucasite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, just found out some interesting info.
Went to my local apple store in South London. Apparently they were taking instore preorders but stopped that a week ago because demand was too high. (i assumed a reservation thing than an actual order)
Although the guy suggested I still come and queue up at 5pm, sounds like there'll already be quite a preorder queue anyway (with reservations).

Went to PcWorld across the road. They also expect delivery tomorrow, and will be on sale at 5pm Friday.
Interestingly they did take my name, number, and model I was interested in. She seemed to indicate that would reserve me one, but obviously not a guarantee. And she did say there'd been alot of interest but she only had 5 or 6 numbers written down)

So, seems like Pcworld might be the better option right now. So I might look at going to queue up at around lunchtime...'ish.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would assume Apple stores will have larger quantities of stock so I guess it is either a case of get to one of their stores early and queue or phone around other retailers to gauge stock levels and get round to them nearer 5. I can't imagine the likes of Currys have large queues for hours on end and they wouldn't be fussed either way as it is Apple that will benefit from this coverage so don't think Currys etc. would encourage and organise queues. Just my thoughts.

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update sjleworthy.

I also called my local apple store (kingston) and they said some very interesting stuff. The guy said that because there had been problems with delivery the IPad will go on sale at 5pm instead of 9am and therefore there would not be another delivery that night. That means they will sell all of there stock Friday and the guy guaranteed me there would be no stock for the whole of Saturday. He also said this would apply for most other retailers aswell. So anyone hoping to get an IPad 2 instore on Saturday good luck! :D

He also told me about a couple of comet stores that are often forgotten about and therefore might have stock. I might check these ones out on Saturday morning but it is still unlikely they will have any.

So I guess I will order online and wait till Wednesday! Another weak of torture waiting for an IPad 2! ::(

OP
J

jameswilby5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yer sounds like a plan! That is what I am doing. Check out the apple website. The iPad 2 has now replaced the iPad.

Most reactions