What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the last movie you saw?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with you on 3D......last time I watched one, I did hurl! ;)

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

When I started feeling queasy at 3D Avatar, I took off the glasses and watched without them. Not optimal, but no hurling.

Iriana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen a 3-D movie since I was a teenager. They come to this little town on an occasion.

I don't understand, what is it about a 3-D movie that would make a person hurl or give them a queazy stomach?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't seen a 3-D movie since I was a teenager. They come to this little town on an occasion.

I don't understand, what is it about a 3-D movie that would make a person hurl or give them a queazy stomach?

The 3D effect can cause motion sickness. For many people, their sense of equilibrium depends on the stability of horizontal sight lines. Three dimensional movies causes you to sense the changes in these sight lines which can make you feel dizzy and this can make you feel like vomiting. This is my very simply explanation. Here is a more detailed explanation from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They film them with two lenses set so far apart. If your eyes fall into a narrow range of distance between them you are ok, otherwise your brain is trying to adjust to an image separation that is not quite right based on a lifetime of training with your eye location.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
They film them with two lenses set so far apart. If your eyes fall into a narrow range of distance between them you are ok, otherwise your brain is trying to adjust to an image separation that is not quite right based on a lifetime of training with your eye location.

'Into Darkness' is worth hurling for. :D

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3D effect can cause motion sickness. For many people, their sense of equilibrium depends on the stability of horizontal sight lines. Three dimensional movies causes you to sense the changes in these sight lines which can make you feel dizzy and this can make you feel like vomiting. This is my very simply explanation. Here is a more detailed explanation from Wikipedia: Motion sickness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This sounds like a possibility for me and 3D queasiness:

<< The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the human brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and mass vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[7] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness. >>

Because I don't get motion sickness otherwise -- I can read during long car trips, ride roller coasters, sky dive, take long car and plane trips, etc., all of which make my husband queasy. The weird thing is, he has no trouble watching 3D movies or playing video games.

One time in Hawaii, we took a helicopter ride and then were picked up by car for a very winding drive that lasted about 1.5 hours. He ended up spending the whole ride with his head in a bag. Meanwhile, I was enjoying the scenery and snacks (though I felt bad for him). I even ate his share, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts