What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the last movie you saw?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Sonos soundbar speakers on here? Our tv hasn't got good speakers so our films aren't very loud and just wondered whether anyone can suggest a new sound system for it? I was told these Sonos speakers are wireless.

Haven't tried the Sonos system, Hayles, but we have a dealer locally. I'll take a look next time I'm in there and report back. There are also several models of soundplate. These things sit under your TV and contain extra speakers. I was just talking to my parents this morning about theirs. They have one made my Denon, but I've seen them by Bose and others.

Trouble with today's skinny TVs is there is no room in the case for speakers.

Here's a review by CNet. Doesnt look too good.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sonos-playbar/

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Kevin. My mum bought the Sonos 1 and absolutely swears by it as does my brother who has 3-4 around his lounge. It doesn't look like its worth the money does it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Kevin. My mum bought the Sonos 1 and absolutely swears by it as does my brother who has 3-4 around his lounge. It doesn't look like its worth the money does it?

I had a listen to quite a bit of Sonos stuff today. It blew my socks off. The sound is incredible, but you are going to pay for it. The soundbar and subwoofer cost $1500 between them, and extra speakers are up to $450 each.

I've recently bought an AV system, so I'm out of the market, but I'd definitely consider Sonos if I was starting from scratch. Expensive but well worth it.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really? Wow. That review didn't seem to agree. Thanks Kevin. When I get the money I will go and listen too.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Considering that comment would you mind expounding on it?

It starts with a remarkable script. The characters define themselves through their own words, freeing the actors from having to guess who they're supposed to be, and letting them focus on their characters' development and interaction. The fact that the writer is also the director surely helps him realize his vision. The seldom-filmed location adds a beauty of its own.

I found the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to be perceptive and accurate, supporting the film's 98% rating. Oh, the story? It's about boys becoming men, loyalty, a vanishing culture, and lots of other stuff. Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, Sam Shepard, and Reese Witherspoon. No spoilers from me, just see it.

Last night, we watched Grand Canyon, a 1991 film with Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Steve Martin, Mary McDonnell, and Mary-Louise Parker. Steve Martin did not tell a single joke, nor play the banjo. Who knew?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Coyote Waits, a made-for-TV movie based on the Tony Hillerman novel of the same name. I had seen all three of the excellent Hillerman mysteries when PBS originally broadcast them about a dozen years ago, but it was past time to revisit them, and I spied this DVD at my local library. It's slightly different than the novel, but just as good. If you love the American Southwest, and especially if you know at least a couple words of Navajo, these movies are irresistible.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp. Most critics panned this film, but I think they missed the point of it entirely. If you're looking for a retelling of the original legend of radio and 1950s TV, or anything remotely resembling historical accuracy, this is not your movie. But as an over-the-top spoof of Hollywood westerns, it's pretty entertaining for the whole 2.5-hour running time. There's plenty of outrageous stuntwork, one deadpan sight gag after another, and Depp's exaggerated eye movements and anachronistic dialog work fine in this context. There's also interesting camera work and some of the west's best scenery. It ain't art, it's a summer fun movie.

Favorite quote: "Tonto, do you know what your name means in Spanish?"

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp. Most critics panned this film, but I think they missed the point of it entirely. If you're looking for a retelling of the original legend of radio and 1950s TV, or anything remotely resembling historical accuracy, this is not your movie. But as an over-the-top spoof of Hollywood westerns, it's pretty entertaining for the whole 2.5-hour running time. There's plenty of outrageous stuntwork, one deadpan sight gag after another, and Depp's exaggerated eye movements and anachronistic dialog work fine in this context. There's also interesting camera work and some of the west's best scenery. It ain't art, it's a summer fun movie.

You know Lanny, I just wasn't interested in this movie at all....but after reading your take on it, I may just get it next time I'm looking for something light to watch!! ;)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I totally agree. It was a surprise to us too. We liked everything about it. I never listen to reviews because what you like, others don't. We are all different and movies try to cater to everyone but some escape the mould. I loved it.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We bought the DVD of The Lone Ranger to watch over Christmas as I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan, Honestly its hilarious, That man can turn his hand to anything.

Most reactions

Latest posts