What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Charging Problem

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive had my iPad since launch a week ago, and the first charge was fine, but I've had to charge it twice since then, and I have to go through about 5-10 outlets before it'll even start charging (it usually makes the plugged in noise then just says 'Not Charging') and even then it only charges to about 80%. Is anyone else having this problem or know what to do?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, you aren't using an iPhone or iPod charger, are you? iPads need a lot of juice and their chargers are specifically designed for them...
The "Not Charging" message usually means you are using lower powered chargers or USB ports...

OP
Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, you aren't using an iPhone or iPod charger, are you? iPads need a lot of juice and their chargers are specifically designed for them...
The "Not Charging" message usually means you are using lower powered chargers or USB ports...

Nope, using the charger that came with the iPad. And never had any problem powering anything else. I don't know what to do lol

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read about this problem, sounds like a fault with the iPad, id return it and get a replacement. Have you had an iPad before? If so did it charge ok?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before going to the apple store or or returning the iPad,try running the battery all the way down,then charge it fully.It's possible that the charge indicator needs calibrating.If the problem remains,then by all means return the iPad or go to the apple store for a possible exchange.

LeonKaiser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@yakuza, you were using an original ipad charger, but were you using an original ipad cable, the one that came from your package? I had the same problem, & i was using my original ipad 3 charger with a third party cable. It only charged up to 88%. I used my original ipad 3 cable with my original charger, & i was able to charge up to 100%, without the "not charging" message being displayed.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You definitely should not be getting the "Not Charging" indicator with the official charger. It means either the iPad, Charger, or your home power supply has a problem. Since the 3rd is unlikely, I would take a trip to your nearest Apple Store and get them to look into it for you. They will likely replace it right away.

OP
Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@yakuza, you were using an original ipad charger, but were you using an original ipad cable, the one that came from your package? I had the same problem, & i was using my original ipad 3 charger with a third party cable. It only charged up to 88%. I used my original ipad 3 cable with my original charger, & i was able to charge up to 100%, without the "not charging" message being displayed.

That actually makes sense, I might have mixed my iPhone and iPad charger cable. I'm gonna try that next time, thanks. If this doesn't help I guess I'm gonna head to the Apple store and see what they say.

OP
Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well I'll be damned, that worked lol staring at a pretty 100% right now and didn't have a problem getting it to start charging. Thanks!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
Well I'll be damned, that worked lol staring at a pretty 100% right now and didn't have a problem getting it to start charging. Thanks!!

I'm really pleased you got your problem sorted. It's also a lesson in being accurate and sharing all the details to help folks resolve your problems! :D
When you'd said to me you were using the iPad charger its a natural assumption you are also using the cable. If you'd said, I'm not using the official cable, that would have been a dead giveaway! :)

OP
Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really pleased you got your problem sorted. It's also a lesson in being accurate and sharing all the details to help folks resolve your problems! :D
When you'd said to me you were using the iPad charger its a natural assumption you are also using the cable. If you'd said, I'm not using the official cable, that would have been a dead giveaway! :)

That's the thing though, I didn't know I wasn't using it lol I'm guessing I got the iPhone and iPad cord mixed up when I set up the iPad through iTunes and then also backed up my iPhone. I didn't even think about the cord until it was said lol

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's the thing though, I didn't know I wasn't using it lol I'm guessing I got the iPhone and iPad cord mixed up when I set up the iPad through iTunes and then also backed up my iPhone. I didn't even think about the cord until it was said lol

IME, it doesn't matter which cord I use. Maybe you have a defective cord.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts