What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overnight 8-hr Charge stopped at 65%

OP
L

Lunar

maybe something is wrong with the charger it self

I'm now using another Apple 10watt charger and cable, and will give it another charge later.. I hope it was just the charger or cable.. soon find out later..lol

The long nil to 100% charge has certainly done the battery some good, as it's been streaming live TV continously since 1.45pm and it's currently on 75% for 4hrs 30mins use, so not bad at all so far. I'm hoping it will charge normally when I come to try it later.. AIS.. it's a different charger and cable so if it plays up again.. it's obviously the iPad3 itself, and will have to be replaced.

OP
L

Lunar

Take it to the store and see what they say. If they say you can do an exchange, go for it. That's what I would do at least.

I will do if it does it again, but I dont want to waste half day and a round trip of 120miles for nothing, a couple days extra won't make much difference, at least until I've tried it again with a different charger and cable.
One things for sure, I certainly don't like the way the connector does'nt push in so far on these new rounded edge iPads, compared to the old iPad 1.

Would'nt life be boring if everything worked without any issue...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe you have yet to return it for one that charges normally. I have no such issues at all and mine easily hits 100% charge in much less than 6 hours. You can continue to complain, guess, diagnose, and discuss or simply get another that functions properly.

OP
L

Lunar

I can't believe you have yet to return it for one that charges normally. I have no such issues at all and mine easily hits 100% charge in much less than 6 hours. You can continue to complain, guess, diagnose, and discuss or simply get another that functions properly.

So does mine now. :)

Nonetheless.. I'm very pleased and ecstatic that your new iPad is functioning perfect... I'm ecstatic too now... :)) It's charging superbly with no probs at all.

btw I rarely complain unless I have something to complain about, and I rarely guess, but I do diagnose, and I do discuss, and on this occasion it paid off, it saved me
wasting a good half a day and money in fuel.

I appreciate your post... most helpful.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would like to point out that you need to use the cable included with your iPad 3. It's slightly thicker gauge than that of the previous 30 pin cables and can deal with the resistance of charging the bigger battery. It's pretty noticeable when you hold the two cables up side by side. I was having this problem but then I held the cables up to one another and saw the difference. Not only did the not charging icon disappear but it seems to be charging slightly faster.

Last edited:

Plan B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bear in mind that batteries are not precisely tuned energy containers.

It's actually quite difficult to correctly estimate the SOC (State of Charge) of any given battery.

To disappoint you even further, your particular battery may have an idiosyncrasy that makes it impossible for the battery's circuitry to represent rate of discharge in a consistent and 100% linear fashion. Most batteries do not behave this way anyhow, and that does not necessarily indicate a battery flaw.

The OP's issue when charging stopped in the middle of the night, well that might be another matter...that should not happen under normal circumstances. It's possible that the battery's circuitry stopped the charging so as to avoid a heat or perceived overcharge situation.

The OP's issue could lie at any point along the energy chain, from a brief power drop or spike from the electric utility, to misbehaving house wiring or a bad wall socket, to more likely culprits such as the 10W charger, cable, or connector port, or maybe even the battery or its built-in management circuitry.

A great resource for general battery info is the "Battery University". Google it and you will learn A LOT about battery behavior and good care and feeding of all the batteries in your life. The Battery University is on my all-time list of highly recommended reading.

OP
L

Lunar

Would like to point out that you need to use the cable included with your iPad 3. It's slightly thicker gauge than that of the previous 30 pin cables and can deal with the resistance of charging the bigger battery. It's pretty noticeable when you hold the two cables up side by side. I was having this problem but then I held the cables up to one another and saw the difference. Not only did the not charging icon disappear but it seems to be charging slightly faster.

I think the point you make is absolutely correct, I have checked that out regarding the cables, certainly makes sense. I have 4 or 5 cables and 3 Apple 10watt chargers here, and 1 of the chargers was purchased from Ebay a few months ago and is supposedly the genuine Apple product, same with 3 of the cables. The problem is because they all look identical I may have mixed 2 of them up. However I do know which is the charger and cable that came with my iPad3 and I definately wasn't using it at the time, I've now labeled it so I can easily tell in the future. I suspect it was the charger or cable combination that likely came via Ebay :-(( genuine or not.

At least I'm hoping it was as simple as that and nothing else, AIS it's charged twice okay since. One thing I have noticed during these last few days is that the length of battery time certainly improves quite a bit after 2 or 3 full charge cycles.

You are right though, as I wasn't using the charger and lead that came with my iPad 3 when the charging stopped 2 or 3 times before it got to 100%.
I thought I was using the charger which came with our iPad 1, but I wouldn't like to guarantee it's a genuine Apple cable, AIS they look the same, but I've run the battery down twice since and recharged with the proper iPad 3 charger and cable and it charged up to the full 100% without any problem at all.

Just to confirm.. does the cable that came with your iPad 3 have " Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China" printed on the side of the cable. ? like the original chargers have.
I have 3 cables with it printed on the side of the cable, 2 will be from our iPad 1 and iPad 3 and the other from my iPhone, the other 2 however are blank with nothing printed on them.. so I'm suspecting these 2 are the Ebay allegedly genuine Apple items. ;-)

Also, you are correct the iPad3 cable is indeed slightly thicker. :)

Thanks for the reply..I appreciate the input..

OP
L

Lunar

Just bear in mind that batteries are not precisely tuned energy containers.

It's actually quite difficult to correctly estimate the SOC (State of Charge) of any given battery.

To disappoint you even further, your particular battery may have an idiosyncrasy that makes it impossible for the battery's circuitry to represent rate of discharge in a consistent and 100% linear fashion. Most batteries do not behave this way anyhow, and that does not necessarily indicate a battery flaw.

The OP's issue when charging stopped in the middle of the night, well that might be another matter...that should not happen under normal circumstances. It's possible that the battery's circuitry stopped the charging so as to avoid a heat or perceived overcharge situation.

The OP's issue could lie at any point along the energy chain, from a brief power drop or spike from the electric utility, to misbehaving house wiring or a bad wall socket, to more likely culprits such as the 10W charger, cable, or connector port, or maybe even the battery or its built-in management circuitry.

A great resource for general battery info is the "Battery University". Google it and you will learn A LOT about battery behavior and good care and feeding of all the batteries in your life. The Battery University is on my all-time list of highly recommended reading.

Thanks for the comments, and certainly some interesting points.

Funny enough... prior to that strange incident where the charging cut out too early during the night, I noticed that when it was fully charged to 100%, it was only taking about 2 or 3mins use before it dropped to 99%, which I thought seemed quick, but since that charging issue occured when it took 3 attempts to get it up to 100%. Now it stays at 100% for ages before it falls to 99% .. so in a way.. it seems to have done it some good...lol The 2 full charging cycles seems to have done some good too, as the running time (mostly streaming live TV ect at 45% brightness) has risen from approx 10.5hrs use to around 11.5hrs to 12hrs.. certainly noticed a improvement.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lunar said:
Thanks for the comments, and certainly some interesting points.

Funny enough... prior to that strange incident where the charging cut out too early during the night, I noticed that when it was fully charged to 100%, it was only taking about 2 or 3mins use before it dropped to 99%, which I thought seemed quick, but since that charging issue occured when it took 3 attempts to get it up to 100%. Now it stays at 100% for ages before it falls to 99% .. so in a way.. it seems to have done it some good...lol The 2 full charging cycles seems to have done some good too, as the running time (mostly streaming live TV ect at 45% brightness) has risen from approx 10.5hrs use to around 11.5hrs to 12hrs.. certainly noticed a improvement.

Or the battery reporting is just whack.... You never can know for sure....

OP
L

Lunar

Or the battery reporting is just whack.... You never can know for sure....

Very true..lol.. but my clock on the the wall is correct so gives a good estimate of running time. ;-)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lunar said:
Very true..lol.. but my clock on the the wall is correct so gives a good estimate of running time. ;-)

Unless you are mad (you'd have to have been here to get this one). But yes, that should be a good check......

brunodjkj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do people recommend running the battery completely flat then do a full charge? Or just stick it on charge at night regardless of percentage of charge in the battery?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do people recommend running the battery completely flat then do a full charge? Or just stick it on charge at night regardless of percentage of charge in the battery?

Some people are recommending this. I think Apple recommends this to calibrate the battery level. Personally, I see little value in this activity..and with this larger battery, it will take a lot longer to recharge. No way I'd do this once a month. Babying a battery is not my idea of using tech.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do it every 15-20 days or so, and it's usually involuntary, as in I'm not near an outlet. These batteries aren't the type to develop "memory" but the charge down is helpful to keep your battery meter accurate. Same is true with laptops and most cell phones.

I tend to have it die late in the afternoon and just plug it in before work and it will be fully charged when I get off.

Last edited:

Most reactions