What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overnight 8-hr Charge stopped at 65%

OP
L

Lunar

Do people recommend running the battery completely flat then do a full charge? Or just stick it on charge at night regardless of percentage of charge in the battery?

Apple themselves on their website http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html recommend that once a month you run it down till it cuts off and then give it a full charge, according to them it also has the effect of recalibrating the battery percentage level. I had a small issue at the start of this thread where my iPad would stop charging partway through it's charge which turned out to be due to not using the original iPad charger and lead. So to give it a good test it was allowed to run right down till it cut off, so I could check it wasn't cutting out while charging, and are pleased to say it's been fine over the last few days. However after giving the battery that discharge and full charge cycle, I noticed a good improvement in the battery running times.. certainly a good hour extra. so yes it is worth doing occasionally even with Lithium-Ion batteries.

I know the rule about external links, so if the above link is inapropiate, which has only been included so users can see Apples own guidance regarding care of their iPad batteries for themselves, if it's inappropiate please remove. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Plan B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deep discharging batteries is usually not good for them, regardless of type. No, Lithium batteries don't have "memory", but deep discharging is very rough on all batteries.

But in Apple's case, since they recommend we do run it down to zero periodically, I would bet that there's circuitry in there that cuts the battery off while there's sill a 10% or 20% SOC left. They might have the battery programmed to cut off before SOC drops so low that the unreported "reserve power" must be used. That allows a battery that the user thinks is "dead" to not have to pay the deep discharge penalty (reduced life expectancy) or even to lie in a not-so-totally-discharged state for a few weeks or even a month with no ill effects that usually come from having a battery go down to "true zero" SOC.

It's just an educated guess of course.

OP
L

Lunar

Deep discharging batteries is usually not good for them, regardless of type. No, Lithium batteries don't have "memory", but deep discharging is very rough on all batteries.

But in Apple's case, since they recommend we do run it down to zero periodically, I would bet that there's circuitry in there that cuts the battery off while there's sill a 10% or 20% SOC left. They might have the battery programmed to cut off before SOC drops so low that the unreported "reserve power" must be used. That allows a battery that the user thinks is "dead" to not have to pay the deep discharge penalty (reduced life expectancy) or even to lie in a not-so-totally-discharged state for a few weeks or even a month with no ill effects that usually come from having a battery go down to "true zero" SOC.

It's just an educated guess of course.

Your guess is actually not far from the truth, they are indeed designed to cut out at a set level which does not harm the cells. These type of batteries can be totally ruined if allowed to drain completely, and in fact will often not charge properly afterwards and in the worst case not at all. So yes.. they do cut out well before that point is reached, However, I have proved numerious times with various equipment that even Lithium-Ion batteries do benefit from the occasional full charge.

When lithium-ion manufacturers and also Apple say they benefit from say a monthly full charge then why should I not believe them... especially as by doing so as given me at least an extra hours running time from my battery. So yes I for one will be running it down every few weeks and giving it a full charge... but that's just me.. there's certainly no need to, as any memory effect is so minor, manufacturers can claim they have none!. However, I certainly don't think a full drain/charge once a month or even 2 months will cause any harm, but I do believe it may be beneficial.. I also suspect the battery manufacturers and Apple techs are likely much cleverer and smarter than I... so who am I to think I know better..lol.. especially as I believe them to be correct. IOW.. despite their no memory efffect claims for lithium-ion cells, it probably is 98/99% true, but likely not 100% true.

OP
L

Lunar

Strangley we also had my wifes's iPad 1 stop charging today at 45%, she put it on charge early this morning, so expected it to be fully charged this afternoon.

Now this was with the original genuine charger and cable that came with my iPad3, and is also the same charger and cable I've successfully charged my iPad 3 with 2 or 3 times over the last week.

In a way.. this at least confirms my suspicion that there was no issue with my iPad 3 when it also did the same thing last week and thought it was down to a iffy charger or cable. I'm trying another cable now to see how that gets on. I've had the iPad 1 for almost 18mths and it's the 1st time it's done it.

One thing I should mention, which I'm wondering may be the cause... where we live out in the sticks.. although the properties are only 5yrs old, we and our neighbours do seem to get the odd power cut.. sometimes it will only show up as a quick flicker, other times it will cause my PC to switch off.. it's not a frequent occurance but I know it does happen because I've had to reset the time on bedside electronic clocks. So I'm now wondering is this may be to blame.. though I've tried flicking the power off and on quickly to test this theory and it just continues charging ok, but I suppose it cannot be ruled out. (Only last friday the whole village had a power cut for 1hr due to workmen upgrading cables)

Certainly very strange, The cable I'm using now is the same larger diameter cable and is definately for the iPad 3 as I purchase 2 spare cables from Apple online, certainly wierd.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've noticed my iPad stop charging when connected, for no apparent reason. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it resumed charging. I'm not using the apple charger or cable when I noticed this. No clue as to why. I've seen this same gear charge it to 100%. I'm wondering if perhaps the cable was not seated well when the charging stopped. I'm not fond of the 30 pin connector as it can tilt when connected to the iPad.

OP
L

Lunar

Curious, what does Apple charge to replace batteries...for any of their devices?

So are you suggesting Apple have no desire for their batteries to last too long.. so they can make money on fitting new batteries ?, which BTW according to a UK Apple store tech cost's £199 to be replaced in the UK... one very expensive battery would'nt you say, though I suspect most of the cost is due to the fact the whole screen/digitizer assy and main board has to be removed, as the battery is glued to the rear of the case.. so quite a major job to replace the battery. IOW may not even be a viable option.

OP
L

Lunar

I've noticed my iPad stop charging when connected, for no apparent reason. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it resumed charging. I'm not using the apple charger or cable when I noticed this. No clue as to why. I've seen this same gear charge it to 100%. I'm wondering if perhaps the cable was not seated well when the charging stopped. I'm not fond of the 30 pin connector as it can tilt when connected to the iPad.

Searches reveal a few other users are reporting the same thing... probably like yourself I'm really careful when inserting that connector.. I certainly don't like the fact they don't push in very far on the iPad 2 and 3 due to the rounded edge... but AIS it's just happened on our iPad 1 today also. I wouldn't be surprised to discover it's a bug in the last iOS 5.1 update. ;-)

TBH I thought I'd got it down to a iffy cable.. as the last 3 or 4 charges on my iPad3 have been fine, but this then happens on the iPad 1 with same charger/cable... so not so sure now...lol

The wife just removed and reinserted the connector, it then charged okay from the 34% it stopped at right through to 100%, so I haven't a clue whats going on., though it was with a different cable, but AIS that other cable had been working okay too..

No doubt we'll get to the bottom of it eventually, no big deal for me as I'm retired, so easy enough to get it going again. However if one charged it overnight ready for a day at work and you find its stopped after a short time , I think some people are not going to be too happy.

I certainly don't think our 2 different iPads are faulty, and I suspect except in a few cases it's very unlikely other peoples iPads are faulty either... I'm tending to think it's a iOS 5.1 issue... or I and others all have iffy chargers/cables... most unlikely in my book.. Have more chance winning the lottery..lol

Davedlb26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 64gb/4G seemed to throw a wobbly during the night, in that.. I thought I'd give it a good charge cycle by running it right down, and give it a full recharge.

So at 1% I put it on charge using the proper 10watt charger, expecting to see it fully charged when I got up 8-hrs later, but when I just came to check, it strangly was displaying the 'Not Charging message' and was only showing 65% charged... so why did it stop at 65% ? mine doesn't normally get very warm at all, and it's pretty cold here in the night so I doubt it's temperature related. I'm hoping it was just a poor connection..

As soon as I unplugged the connector and re-inserted it again the 'Not Chargng message' went off and it's now charging again.

It may have just been a poor connection during the early hours, as unlike the iPad one which is sensibly designed around the edge, the thinner rounded edge iPads leave a bit to be desired I think, with regard to how well the connectors fit, as half 30way charging connector never goes into the iPad at all due to the rounded edge. When pushed in, it seems as though it only just about makes a connection... the square shape of the iPad 1 edge was more practical and sensible with regard to it's connectors IMO.

I've no idea what caused it... all I can do is hope there's not a charging issue.. after re-inserting the plug its charging okay and has now reached 70%.

Anyone else had any weird charging issues where it stopped charging part way through a full charge.?

I had the same problem today I have bought a cable from ebay ipad4 was on 35% and it only went to 85% tried different chargers no change. Need to try on different device to see what happens. Personally I think there is a high resistance in the new cable.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same problem today I have bought a cable from ebay ipad4 was on 35% and it only went to 85% tried different chargers no change. Need to try on different device to see what happens. Personally I think there is a high resistance in the new cable.
Apple recommends using cables certified by them. It's possible that third party cables don't charge your device, and in some cases they can even damage your iPad.
Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

Most reactions

Latest posts