What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading to iOS 10 iPads - What you need to know !

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple will release the latest operating system iOS 10 on Tuesday 13th September (USA time) To avoid issues I have put together some information that may make it easier for you to upgrade
I understand many of you have done this before however even the most experience can learn by reading the following. Over the years I receive many requests from users both clients and online in the forums whom mainly have problems upgrading their devices. Hopefully this will stream line the procedure and you can sit back and enjoy this long awaited operating system.

Here is a complete list of the devices that are supported with ios10 :
• iPad 4th gen
• iPad Air
• iPad Air 2
• iPad Pro
• iPad mini 2
• iPad mini 3
• iPad mini 4
• iPod touch 6th
• iPhone 5
• iPhone 5c
• iPhone 5s
• iPhone SE
• iPhone 6/6 Plus
• iPhone 6s/6s Plus
• iPhone 7/7 Plus (Shipped with iOS 10)
• Sixth -gen iPOD Touch

DO NOT attempt this upgrade if you do not have at least ADSL 2, NBN or Cable Internet and or if your internet is patchy and or slow.

BACKUP YOUR DATA
Before you do anything major such as upgrading your device you need to make sure that you have a backup just in case things don't go smoothly. You can either back up your data to iCloud, or if you don't have enough space you can take the old-school road and connect your iPhone or iPad to a Mac or PC and do the backup through iTunes. ( Down load latest version (12.4.3.1)of iTunes before proceeding Do not forget to back up your PC or Mac after you complete the device back up.

You can upgrade your iCloud storage plan from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, and you can choose a total of 50GB, 200GB, 1TB, or 2TB. After you upgrade, we'll bill you monthly.
Prices vary depending what country you live in

DO I NEED TO DELETE APPS TO MAKE SPACE FOR THE UPGRADE?
Not if you are on iOS 9 or above, because the operating system will handle clearing space for you (even if that means deleting and re downloading apps If you are short on space then use option 2 via iTunes to perform the upgrade. Remember you can delete any Apps you own and reload those Apps at no charge. Be care full with music as that does not Apple. Just make sure your device is back up.

IS IT BETTER TO UPGRADE OR WIPE A DEVICE AND START FROM SCRATCH?
It's a lot less hassle to just upgrade a device because you get to keep all your apps and settings.
However, devices that I have wiped and reloaded a new iOS onto, and then installed and re-setup all my apps and such feel faster and seem to suffer from fewer problems (such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi issues. However, wiping and reloading the apps and data is pretty big hassle, and probably more work than most want to undertake.

KNOW YOUR PASSWORDS AND LOG IN CODES
Following the upgrade you’ll need to enter your iCloud password and your 6 or 4 code security numbers in order to be able to reconnect to all your data and photos. If you don't have this close to hand -- remember, having it on the device you're upgrading isn't all that convenient -- then this might be a good time to do that.
There are 2 ways to upgrade

Option 1) OVER THE AIR VIA WIFI ( this is the fastest and easiest)
Over the Air via Wi-Fi and connected to your internet Router - Requires power connected plus 50% charged and at least 4 gb clear ( pending on model)
Go to Settings> General> Software Update > iOS 10 and then tap on the install now option. Follow the instructions.

Option 2) iTUNES (Connect your device to your computer)

2) Via iTUNES This will take longer however it is ideal for backing up any iOS device that has only 16gb of memory and or has limited space plus it wipes the device and installed the new system then restores from back up. It can take along time depending again on internet speed and if net work is not overloaded. Again timing is the issue as Apple’s servers will be busy
Encrypted backup ( option) ideal for business users and any one whom has sensitive information on there device .

WHY SHOULD I ENCRYPT MY BACKUP.
Encrypting your backups means that you’re taking security of your personal information such as email account passwords or contact information one step further. It won’t be enough for someone to simply get hold of your computer and look through your iPhone or iPad backups, since they’ll need a password to use them. (This is only available via iTunes )
Issues to be aware of :
1) Server traffic will be heavy and in some cases you may find the update may stall or you cannot connect to Apple’s servers (Millions are down loading this upgrade so don’t panic. If it stalls give it a couple of hours and try again if not try next day.
2) After the down load is complete you may find the device is slow this can be due to the device is indexing and updating I highly recommend performing a soft reset.
3) Remember that almost all your Apps will need to be upgraded so if something crashes it is most likely not updated and is the developers problem NOT Apple.
Just launch the App Store and begin updating…. Over night is best time to do this.
Perform a soft reset :
Performing a soft reset is pretty simple. This basically clears most issues you may have such as wifi not working, data missing etc after you have installed the new iOS.

Just press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. You can let go of both buttons after the Apple logo appears.
1 Your phone will go through the usual process of starting up.
2 You’ll be back in your home screen.

Keep in mind if you own a Mac Computer that qualifies, Sierra OS is due Wednesday week so you are in for yet another upgrade.

Regards Colin Filshie

Administrator
www.iphoneforums.net
www.ipadforums.net
www.applewatchforum.net
www.Appleforums.net

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In iTunes, you'll have to enable encrypted backups. This happens automatically when you backup to iCloud. So encrypted backups are not only available in iTunes.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Slightly off subject, but reading the above reminds me of something: On backups, I noticed that the info I have had about the new version of Acronis 2017 for a PC will backup an iPad and iPhone. I haven't upgraded to it yet but if it is similar to the PC backups, it may well backup to one big file, rather than lots of little files as I think iTunes does.

Edit: wrt Acronis 2017, as far as I can see from the info, the back up is limited to areas of data and not, as I had hoped, a full backup. (I had wondered how Apple would let them access a full backup....) Back to iTunes.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Col. That is very helpful and says it just right. And I did like the bit about upgrading Over The Air, Easy and fast, provided one has reasonable RAM to go and does not do it it when the rest of the world is attemting it at the same time. (Not hard to wait a day or two) I've always downloaded OTA and never had a problem.
Andrew

OP
col.bris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Joanna, I missed that about encrypted backups on icloud. I will edit the post and add it. Funny really Others I know whom back up to their computers hardly use encrypted backup Just goes to show how far we have come.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The main reason (beyond security) to use encrypted backups is so that your Health Data gets backed up on you iPhone. Because it's considered sensitive information, it does not get backed up (in iCloud or iTunes) unless the backup is encrypted.

Yeah! Looks like my iPad just finished updating. Guess I'll go get some brunch, then decide if I'm going to update my iPhone or wait. To be honest, the only reason I'm in a hurry with the iPad is that I've been wanting to play with the new Playgrounds app every since it was announced.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is in recovery mode. iTunes is downloading the software, just a few seconds remaining.

Edit: up to date and working. :)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The available storage capacity of a 128GB iPad was 113.62GB on iOS 9 but the available capacity jumped to 121.75 on iOS 10. That's just over 8GB of storage space that's been returned to the user.

Most reactions

Latest posts