What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Upgrade your iOS Jailbreak

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is Phonetipad

Phoneltipad is a tweak (application) that can turn your ipad like iphone, so you can make/receive phone call or sending message. But your Ipad must Jailbroken & also have 3G.

is it for 3g ones or wireless too? and how do u do that?

3G only. Install it from Cydia. But your 3G account must have a calling plan. So pretty much take the micro sim out of an iPhone, or buy one, and stick it in.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
San1967 said:
No, I used both Addressbook and Dropbox. When there's no internet, I can restore from Addressbook.

No you are misunderstanding how it works. You can't restore properly without the Internet. Pkgbackup does not store your apps in the address book. Just a reference for where to restore them from which is exactly the same as installing it through Cydia. You will get no benefit using it how you describe above.

Are you sure, phoneltipad not an application, it's a tweak. And I could see it at Pkgbackup from addressbook (restore section).
As you can see it in my picture. it's inside the 92 packages.

It just has the name. If you hit "restore" it is going to look for the Cydia server to redownload it.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
San1967 said:
But the main problem was I couldn't restore Phoneltipad, even internet exist.

Since it comes from a special repo, the repo must also be backed up and restored. PkgBackup restores repos first during a full restore operation, refreshes them, then restores the apps from them.

San1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Pkgbackup worked like that, it's true that's not the way I think of. I thought Pkgbackup could backup all the tweak and application like restoring from itune.
It's just like a Note on what we have already installed, and helped us with the Note to redownload. It's not really a Backup application.
Did Cydia have any application that can backup like itune, so when restore we don't have to connect to internet for redownloading.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
San1967 said:
If Pkgbackup worked like that, it's true that's not the way I think of. I thought Pkgbackup could backup all the tweak and application like restoring from itune.
It's just like a Note on what we have already installed, and helped us with the Note to redownload. It's not really a Backup application.
Did Cydia have any application that can backup like itune, so when restore we don't have to connect to internet for redownloading.

Couldn't you just download the .deb file for phoneit and save it to your var/mobile/media/downloads folder and use ifile to install at your leisure?
Then when wanting to un-install simply open terminal and type the following command:
"dpkg -r program.deb". Replace program.deb with the name of the deb file you wish to remove. Press enter and the deb file will be removed.....I think.....I hope so anyways..
OR
goto Cydia>installed> and it should also be located here where you can uninstall it.

Last edited:

ali_minavand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi . . is there diffrences between ipad 1 and ipad 2 for jailbreaking ?
i have ipad2 , and ios version is 4.3 . i downloaded 4.3.3 because jailbreak.com says i should have this version. but when i'm restoring ( updating ) to this version , i tunes won't allow me. i used redsn0w , it didnt work too. i used tiny umberlla and gave me some code that at end of each code is the following :
ipad2 3g 4.3.5
ipad2 3g 5.0b1
ipad2 3g 5.0b2
ipad2 3g 5.0b3
so what should i do ?
i want to jailbreak my ipad2.
is there a solution that can force itunes to let me update ?
thanks

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi . . is there diffrences between ipad 1 and ipad 2 for jailbreaking ?
i have ipad2 , and ios version is 4.3 . i downloaded 4.3.3 because jailbreak.com says i should have this version. but when i'm restoring ( updating ) to this version , i tunes won't allow me. i used redsn0w , it didnt work too. i used tiny umberlla and gave me some code that at end of each code is the following :
ipad2 3g 4.3.5
ipad2 3g 5.0b1
ipad2 3g 5.0b2
ipad2 3g 5.0b3
so what should i do ?
i want to jailbreak my ipad2.
is there a solution that can force itunes to let me update ?
thanks

Yes, there are differences between the two devices and how they are jailbroken. See our jailbreaking methods sticky in the hacking section for details.

You cannot install a version of IOS on any iPad unless you have SHSH Blobs for that version. You can only get blobs from Apple when that version of IOS is still current and you must then save them away if you want to use them at a later date. Because Apple stopped providing 4.3.3 some time ago, you are out of luck. There is no way you can install 4.3.3 now because there is no way to get the blobs from Apple. Sorry.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
so u r saying i sholud update to 4.3.5 and wait jailbreaking that version ?

No, I'm not saying that.

You can wait on 4.3 on the chance that a jailbreak will be released for that version, or upgrade to 4.3.5 and wait there. The choice is yours. Most people believe there is very little chance of a new iPad2 jailbreak for 4.3.5 before IOS5 is released. Most of the effort will be concentrated on that.

The general advice however is always to stay on the earliest possible firmware available to you to give yourself the best possible chance of a JB in the future.

Hope that helps.

ali_minavand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so u r saying i sholud update to 4.3.5 and wait jailbreaking that version ?

No, I'm not saying that.

You can wait on 4.3 on the chance that a jailbreak will be released for that version, or upgrade to 4.3.5 and wait there. The choice is yours. Most people believe there is very little chance of a new iPad2 jailbreak for 4.3.5 before IOS5 is released. Most of the effort will be concentrated on that.

The general advice however is always to stay on the earliest possible firmware available to you to give yourself the best possible chance of a JB in the future.

Hope that helps.

Thankyou man
I update my ipad2 to 4.3.5
and im waiting for jailbreaking that version.
i want thank you 1 more time , becuase some ppl in other web sites , answer questions by their policy , and advertising.
and actullay it takes 24hours or more to answer , but here i saw sth else, ill bookmark this website

mungman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my 4.3.1 jailbreak to 4.3.2 using sn0wbreeze. Several people have asked for a rundown of the process, and it should be applicable to upgrading any version of JB iOS to any other version (including the same version number):

Personally I use PkgBackup (a paid app in Cydia) to ensure I can backup and restore my JB configuration when doing minor OS upgrades. There are other free solutions which may work for you. I also use DropBox for backup storage as it is free and convenient.

Thanks for this post! Do you know any good free alternatives? also, when you say JB apps, do you only mean Cydia [Moderator edit: Removed reference to pirate app]?

mungman: You're new here, so you get a bit of a break (although, to be a member, you had to click on the button that said you had read our rules). However, keep in mind this forum does NOT condone piracy; it's illegal, it's theft and it's against the rules. To ensure you have no further trouble - read our rules!!! Thanks. Marilyn.

Last edited by a moderator:

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
could anyone help me? i have problem in backup using itunes. it takes forever to backup. i've also tried to search this problem asking google but there are too many solutions and unfortunately only some of them suited my ipad, maybe someone could show me the global solution? i do really want to upgrade my iOS but as long as this backup problem follows, i just don't know what to do. thanks...

Most reactions

Latest posts