What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TVOut with J/B

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Ok, so finished jailbreaking the iPad with RedSn0w and then followed the instructions to the letter. Yeah, the iFile cost four bucks, but whatever. Totally negligible given how much easier it was to get where I wanted to get within the iPad than with Fugu.

Everything was precisely where you said it would be so I found everything likity-split. After sliding "on" the display-mirroring capability that I created (boolean, of course) and then getting rid of the extra k4ap.plist file that showed up and rebooting... still nothing. :(

I tried connecting to the old boob-tube and still did not get my apps to display on the screen. Did I maybe miss a step or something?

Maybe this only works with the vga connector or the hdmi connector.......
I know display out will work with the component connector.

fredsmith219

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to try this hack out later today with the composite video connector. Since this appears to turn on the video out functionality permanently, is there a hit on battery life?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fredsmith219 said:
I'm going to try this hack out later today with the composite video connector. Since this appears to turn on the video out functionality permanently, is there a hit on battery life?

There is an on/off switch in settings for display out. So, extended use, not much of a hit. I haven't noticed a difference.

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an on/off switch in settings for display out. So, extended use, not much of a hit. I haven't noticed a difference.

Where? Perhaps this is why I have not managed to get the hack to work....

I did slide the function on in the k4ap.plist file, but I did not know there was a slide in the setting to be slid on as well....

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
YoungOne, I'm going to call you out on attention to detail! Read your instructions again. They are fatally flawed! Every time you mention "that file" you get the name wrong! You should really check it! File names in instructions are important!

Also, has anyone ever got that hack to work? Did you have it working YoungOne?
Personally, I have used DisplayOut all the time so no point in me testing it, however EVERY place I have seen the K48AP.plist ;) editing trick suggested, nobody has got it working.

Can anyone else confirm that they used this hack and it worked?
I am just very interested... :D

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
YoungOne, I'm going to call you out on attention to detail! Read your instructions again. They are fatally flawed! Every time you mention "that file" you get the name wrong! You should really check it! File names in instructions are important!

Personally, I have used DisplayOut all the time so no point in me testing it, however EVERY place I have seen the K48AP.plist ;) editing trick suggested, nobody has got it working.

I did it and it works. I used to use display out but the k48ap.plist hack works better. How are they flawed? I left out the 8. Big deal.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Where? Perhaps this is why I have not managed to get the hack to work....

I did slide the function on in the k4ap.plist file, but I did not know there was a slide in the setting to be slid on as well....

I meant slider on display out. :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I did it and it works. I used to use display out but the k48ap.plist hack works better. How are they flawed? I left out the 8. Big deal.

Well, I think it's a big deal if you give folks instructions to edit a file and get the name of the file wrong in the instructions (twice). Maybe I'm just old skool like that :)

Good to hear it works for you. I've always been interested to know.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:

This is disrespectful. You are not talking to a classmate, Grayson. Tread carefully.

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it did not work for me, but knowing that I'm not the only one does at least give me some peace of mind that it was not operator error on my part.

No worries, GreyWolf. :) You took the time to try to help me and for that I am appreciative.

I did finally simply install the TVOut2 app to get the wished-for effect. The video quality is a bit rubbish, but that may also be an artifact of the size of television I have (monstrous) which is not going to be overly forgiving given how big I am blowing up the display.

Has anyone compared TVOut2 vs. Display Out to know if one has a better screen output than the other?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Well, it did not work for me, but knowing that I'm not the only one does at least give me some peace of mind that it was not operator error on my part.

No worries, GreyWolf. :) You took the time to try to help me and for that I am appreciative.

I did finally simply install the TVOut2 app to get the wished-for effect. The video quality is a bit rubbish, but that may also be an artifact of the size of television I have (monstrous) which is not going to be overly forgiving given how big I am blowing up the display.

Has anyone compared TVOut2 vs. Display Out to know if one has a better screen output than the other?

I really don't know. Haven't tried tvout2.

Most reactions

Latest posts