What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

pupuek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

Please help me.. here is my setup:
1. Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
2. Ipad 2 16GB wifi
3. absinthe v4
4. ipad 2 erased data and reset all settings then fresh force update to iOS 5.0.1
5. bluetooth is off; passcode lock is off; auto-lock is set to never

I've been trying to jailbreak my ipad for 3 days now and to no avail. here's what i do:
1. run absinthe v4
2. it will detect my ipad 2 and i will press jailbreak
3. the absinthe application will run for less for approx. 5 mins (less) until it tells me to unlock my ipad and run the absinthe app in the ipad
4. i run the absinthe in the ipad and it will go to a black screen. the greenpoison logo will display together with two ads banner (top and bottom). then the text "wait for absinthe to complete"
5. after approximately 2 minutes, a message will display "Didn't work? Try this: 1. Tap 'Jailbreak' to open the Settings application and turn on the VPN named 'Jailbreak'" together with a green button with label Jailbreak. clicking this will display a popup message that reads "Cannot Open Absinthe, Absinthe could not be opened. The error was: "The URL can't be shown'" with buttons close and retry. Clicking retry will only re-display the said popup while clicking close will close the absinthe app. this exits to the springboard.
6. Going to settings\network\vpn. The jailbreak vpn is present in the list. The ipad will process a little while (approximately less than 1 minute) when I try to turn on the VPN. however, a popup message will be displayed with text "VPN Connection. A configuration error occured."

- re-running the absinthe app in the ipad will yield the same result as #5
- re-running the absinthe v4 program will inform me that "Looks like you've tried jailbreaking this device and it failed. Will fix that now..". Then after unplugging and plugging the ipad back to the computer, rerunning the absinthe v4 program will run as usual except that it appears that the ipad is not in sync with the program. no sync in progress. the ipad will not reboot on its own and the absinthe program will wait indefinitely.. when i try to reboot the ipad manually, the absinthe v4 program will continue until the message "unlock ipad and ruin absinthe" then it yields the same result as #5

This is really frustrating and would really love to get some help.

Thank you!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try running Absinthe in compatibility mode for "Windows XP SP2" and as an Administrator.

jasminz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm am trying to perform 'Jailbreak' as per step given on my Ipad2 IOS 5.0.1, it is unsuccessful, the jailbreak won't start but it indicated 'ERROR:consistency check failed, could not find required file'. The last step i did is 'reset my ipad2 to factory setting' but still unable to recognize my device. Any idea, Thanks.

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jasminz said:
Friends,

I'm am trying to perform 'Jailbreak' as per step given on my Ipad2 IOS 5.0.1, it is unsuccessful, the jailbreak won't start but it indicated 'ERROR:consistency check failed, could not find required file'. The last step i did is 'reset my ipad2 to factory setting' but still unable to recognize my device. Any idea, Thanks.

i believe when you did reset your ipad to factory setting it automatically upgraded your IPad2 IoS to the latest firmware which is 5.1 .. currently there is still no jailbreak available for 5.1 ... More over you can not downgrade your ipad IoS back to 5.0.1 now .. so at the moment you are stuck with greatness of IoS 5.1

Last edited:

twol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If this is in wrong section let me know - you mention VPN in your tutorial, so I guess that absynthe uses that to hook. I broke my IPAD last month successfully except that I can no longer change my previous VPN setup - it is still there (if I enable VPN it switches connection) but cannot setup a new VPN
Any way around this?????

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running XP SP3 and am experiencling the same problems as reported in #110. Absinthe falls at the last fence and an error is reported when I attempt to enable the VPN. I have rebooted the iPad and starting from scratch but the issue repeats itself.

I have my corporate email account linked to my iPad, and this makes the use of a passcode mandatory and I suspect this to be related to my problem. I cannot disable it. So I am now left with a half complete jailbreak and, just for my own peace of mind, I would like to clarify the best way to continue...

I made a backup before starting this procedure so.... From reading post #88, I think I need to reset, erase all content and settings (thus removing my corporate email account and the passcode). Then jailbreak again, then restore from backup, then sync my iPad and i should get all my files and settings back....

Or should I sync and THEN restore from backup?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running XP SP3 and am experiencling the same problems as reported in #110. Absinthe falls at the last fence and an error is reported when I attempt to enable the VPN. I have rebooted the iPad and starting from scratch but the issue repeats itself.

I have my corporate email account linked to my iPad, and this makes the use of a passcode mandatory and I suspect this to be related to my problem. I cannot disable it. So I am now left with a half complete jailbreak and, just for my own peace of mind, I would like to clarify the best way to continue...

I made a backup before starting this procedure so.... From reading post #88, I think I need to reset, erase all content and settings (thus removing my corporate email account and the passcode). Then jailbreak again, then restore from backup, then sync my iPad and i should get all my files and settings back....

Or should I sync and THEN restore from backup?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Personally, I am not comfortable giving advice when your device has, from what I gather, enterprise provisioning for your company. Your organisation wants added security because your device is being used for work purposes. Jailbreaking, whilst safe, has the potential for you to make the device less secure (e.g. by adding OpenSSH and leaving the password unsecured). Sorry if that sounds pompous, but everyone's principles are their own!
I certainly would not recommend you go the "Reset all content and settings" route if that helps :)

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem, I understand. :) Though i would always retain the passcode regardless, and often wonder if having access to corporate email 24/7 is more of a hindrance than a help! The thing I'm not entirely clear about is whether I should sync before or after restoring from backup.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a passcode set should in no way interfere with a jailbroken device. I have one on mine and it worked OK, but I think I disabled it for the actual jailbreak :)

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the device was connected, Absinthe reported that passcode would 'probably' prevent the jailbreak from working. That's the reason that I'm going down this route now.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts