What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you reset all settings and data on the iPad so it is back to factory settings?

I didn't have to. Problem was I was unzipping the file from a new folder which I read from other forums that this helped other people on Vista. I assumed that was the problem and just unzipped my normal way and presto. It's funny where some tips like this help most people, but for others hinders the process.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kostnkost said:
I didn't have to. Problem was I was unzipping the file from a new folder which I read from other forums that this helped other people on Vista. I assumed that was the problem and just unzipped my normal way and presto. It's funny where some tips like this help most people, but for others hinders the process.

It's been noted quite a few times that you have to reset all settings, then start the JB from afresh, this way no one has had any problems. Up to you though.

jubinell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update: i just did another restore to the ipad2(cdma) but didn't restore my backup after it reloaded ios 5.0.1. I reran the JB and it took about 60 seconds to go through all the windows. Then another 60 seconds for Cydia to perpare the filesystem. After all that was done, i restored my ipad with my settings and all is running smoothly! - i did notice after the restore Cydia did say "22" updates" which is what i had when i did my backup from going from 4.3.3. to 5.0.1. So maybe backup with cydia from 4.3.3 did something screwy when trying to do the JB the first time. Anyways after clicking in Cydia the "22" went away since i didn't have those mods added anymore.

Hi afternoonshift,

Could you explain a bit more what you did? Do you mean you did a backup in iTunes before installing 5.0.1 and just restored to that backup?
I'm already on 5.0.1 and have no back-up data. Do I back-up what I have now then reset to factory settings then JB then restore my backup?

Thanks for your help!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's worth saying to folks, since the latest jailbreak relies on pwning the iTunes backup and restore process, the less stuff you have on your device the better to avoid potential issues. Best results will likely be achieved from a clean restore of IOS 5.0.1 and then an immediate jailbreak as soon as the setup wizard is complete. This should only take a few minutes since there will be little to backup and restore. Once the jailbreak is complete, you can then get your apps etc. back on the device.
Note however, this advice is only good whilst Apple is still signing IOS 5.0.1. Once 5.1 is released you will no longer be able to do a fresh restore.

justjb5776

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heed This Warning

It's worth saying to folks, since the latest jailbreak relies on pwning the iTunes backup and restore process, the less stuff you have on your device the better to avoid potential issues. Best results will likely be achieved from a clean restore of IOS 5.0.1 and then an immediate jailbreak as soon as the setup wizard is complete. This should only take a few minutes since there will be little to backup and restore. Once the jailbreak is complete, you can then get your apps etc. back on the device. Note however, this advice is only good whilst Apple is still signing IOS 5.0.1. Once 5.1 is released you will no longer be able to do a fresh restore.
I was running into the same problem that other users were facing; stalled jailbreak after clicking on Absinthe icon. I backed up my data, restored the device to factory settings, jailbroke in under 90 seconds, and then restored my data. Everything is right as rain and I see Cydia on my iPad2. Thank you to all who worked tirelessly on this jailbreak.

AfternoonShift

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi afternoonshift,

Could you explain a bit more what you did? Do you mean you did a backup in iTunes before installing 5.0.1 and just restored to that backup?
I'm already on 5.0.1 and have no back-up data. Do I back-up what I have now then reset to factory settings then JB then restore my backup?

Thanks for your help!

I started off with my JB 4.3.3. Loaded up iTunes and iTunes did a backup before I upgraded to 5.0.1. Then I restored my backup and ran absinthe. That's where I got into my problem. After sometime, windows said absinthe stopped responding. Closed it out and then absinthe got stuck in that "recovery" mode loop. I loaded iTunes back up and did a restore of JUST the iOS 5.0.1 and did NOT restore my backup. I reran absinthe and the JB took a quick 60 seconds. Click on the absinthe icon cydia installs and sets up the file system. After you see cydia is all running, restore ur backup from iTunes to get all ur settings back. :)

So I would just do a backup of what you have now so you can keep all ur settings after JB is completed.

Last edited:

jpro80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe how simple and easy this was. I recall soft modding my Wii a few years ago and it took days... This took under 5 minutes. Great tutorial, amazing program, and props to the devs...Outstanding job! Question... Is that it? Is there anything else I have to do now? Any open ports to close? Any files to save or backup? Anything?

It can't be THAT simple... Right? :p

Thanks for posting it fatboy.

Are ere any good Tutorials I should read as a first timer to iPad jail breaking and using Cydia?

jpro80

Last edited:

indeana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been noted quite a few times that you have to reset all settings, then start the JB from afresh, this way no one has had any problems. Up to you though.

Stupid question: If I do reset to factory settings (erasing everything) do I then immediately connect to the computer via USB cable and run Absinthe without resetting up the iPad? And if so, I guess this means I restore from my last back up after Absinthe finishes?

Thank you.

kbost90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, was able to get through jailbreaking (after factory restore), got jailbroken, restored settings from backup, restored previous installed apps etc., I then ran cydia and afterward I seem to have lost cydia, mail, and app store icons as best i can tell. Any thoughts should I have ran cydia before restoring apps etc??

flamey112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well everything was working fine, i was downloading a few tweaks from cydia then i connect my ipad to my pc so it can backup my files and all of a sudden it says itune could not connect to the ipad bla bla..some error...any help?? do i have to restore and if so how???it wont connect to itunes -_-

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but we will need a few more details than "bla bla." :)

What's the error you got from iTunes? What tweaks had you downloaded from Cydia?

Give us a bit more information and I'm sure we can help straighten this out.

Marilyn

rachuko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having te same problem when i try to Connect to iTunes. I must say that the jailbreak when Well. I even dowloaded a few apps from cydia. It seems that iTunes some how checks for a jailbreaked device and is trying to force You to restore .

jubinell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started off with my JB 4.3.3. Loaded up iTunes and iTunes did a backup before I upgraded to 5.0.1. Then I restored my backup and ran absinthe. That's where I got into my problem. After sometime, windows said absinthe stopped responding. Closed it out and then absinthe got stuck in that "recovery" mode loop. I loaded iTunes back up and did a restore of JUST the iOS 5.0.1 and did NOT restore my backup. I reran absinthe and the JB took a quick 60 seconds. Click on the absinthe icon cydia installs and sets up the file system. After you see cydia is all running, restore ur backup from iTunes to get all ur settings back. :)

So I would just do a backup of what you have now so you can keep all ur settings after JB is completed.

Thanks! I followed what you said. Basically what was essential for me was that I wipe everything out of my ipad before the JB (hence the backup was necessary). Another place where I got bogged down a bit was that after the Ipad was reset, I have to finish setting it up before JB-ing else it will get stuck. Finally, when I'm ready to click the green absinthe button I got the server request error that everybody has been talking about, plus my wifi stopped working. I restarted the Ipad and that took care of that. So basically here are the rules that worked for me:

1) Need to wipe all data and settings before JB
2) Need to initialize ipad before JB
3) When in doubt, restart iPad and continue / do it again

Thanks to all the devs for the great piece of software.

flamey112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but we will need a few more details than "bla bla." :)

What's the error you got from iTunes? What tweaks had you downloaded from Cydia?
Give us a bit more information and I'm sure we can help straighten this out.

Marilyn
"iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000001)" I downloaded Activator, Barrel, CyDelete,Move2Unlock, and winterboard, ifile, remove background, xbackup, aptbackup, and a built in tweaks like gpower pro

Most reactions

Latest posts