What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Drosera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmm...no luck. Tried Redsn0w, tinyumbrella, iRev, watched a bunch of youtube vids on how to exit Recovery Loop and enter DFU and still not working. I just keep getting the Recovery USB to iTunes screen over and over again. Someone suggested letting the iPad's power die again and retrying.....any thoughts on this?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if you can boot it up in Safe Mode and see if we can work something out from there. The wipe without restore methods requires that you have access or a connection to your device, meaning your device must be in either Safe Mode or in the normal state.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm...no luck. Tried Redsn0w, tinyumbrella, iRev, watched a bunch of youtube vids on how to exit Recovery Loop and enter DFU and still not working. I just keep getting the Recovery USB to iTunes screen over and over again. Someone suggested letting the iPad's power die again and retrying.....any thoughts on this?

This indicates that a portion of the OS has become corrupted, and normally that means you are forced to restore. Safe mode won't allow you to bypass the recovery loop, and if TU and redsn0w can't exit then it means the corruption cannot be fixed by these tools. Sorry, but it sound like a restore to stock IOS, losing your option to jailbreak for the time being. :(

006r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have a iPad4 WiFi that is now stuck in recovery mode. Its never been jail broken and only updated when it said it should be. I followed the steps in the OP and it still gives me error 14. Any help would be appreciated. Bear with me as I'm new to apple!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a iPad4 WiFi that is now stuck in recovery mode. Its never been jail broken and only updated when it said it should be. I followed the steps in the OP and it still gives me error 14. Any help would be appreciated. Bear with me as I'm new to apple!

Honestly? With that being the newest iPad and not jail broken - I'd take it to the Apple Store and let the Geniuses there figure out what's wrong with it.

If you've followed the tutorial to the letter, using the correct iOS version for your iPad, IMHO that's the best solution. Why stress when it can be done at the store? :)

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Marilyn's advice above is absolutely valid, but Error 14 is more often than not an issue with your USB / cable, so make sure you have followed all the advice in the guide about trying different ports, cables, etc., don't use a hub, and if possible try a different PC!

Oh, and make sure you followed the advice about killing all other software which might interfere with the process temporarily.

Then head off to the store! :D

Last edited:

HunterGordon13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an iPad 2 and it has been stuck in recovery mode for about 2 months now. I've been trying everything you have been saying in this forum but still nothing works. Now all that happens is that it sits in recovery mode with iTunes saying "Waiting for iPad..." but will never leave from this location. Also, the iPad has the status bar but doesn't fill up even if I let it sit for hours. Does anybody know how I can fix this??

Thanks a bunch,

Hunter

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an iPad 2 and it has been stuck in recovery mode for about 2 months now. I've been trying everything you have been saying in this forum but still nothing works. Now all that happens is that it sits in recovery mode with iTunes saying "Waiting for iPad..." but will never leave from this location. Also, the iPad has the status bar but doesn't fill up even if I let it sit for hours. Does anybody know how I can fix this??

Thanks a bunch,

Hunter

If you have tried everything in this post then it sounds like a hardware fault, and the only thing you can do is take it back to Apple to see about a repair. Sorry :(

CORR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi HunterGordon,

did you ever get this issue resloved??? i have the same problem. have followed the failsafe to the t and nothing, just sits in the recovery mode with no movement on the progress bar

Hi everyone!

Thanks a bunch,

Hunter

manipulator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi HunterGordon,

did you ever get this issue resloved??? i have the same problem. have followed the failsafe to the t and nothing, just sits in the recovery mode with no movement on the progress bar

Hi CORR & HunterGordon,

Your ipad is in recovery mode or DFU mode? The both have big difference, you need to put your ipad in DFU mode in order to low-level writing the firmware into ipad using iTunes.

DFU mode the screen is totally nothing, blank screen as like that ipad is not powered up. If you saw icon and connect to iTunes text, you are in recovery mode, if your firmware is corrupted, you won't be able to re-write / upgrade firmware in recovery mode, you must go into DFU mode, refer to first post for how to enter DFU mode.

All the best.

winsonhao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guy

i got 1 ipad 1 wifi +3g i restore to 5.1.1 now cannot active , just going active auto restrat . .. what can i do ?? pls help fix this problem , me do DFU restore again , itunes come out -1 problem what happed is this ? pls help thank you very much

Corruptedlite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't seem to upgrade/restore to 6.1 as I'm getting error 3194. My Ipad2 (WiFi) is already in DFU mode, yet whenever I try to update I get the error.
I already cleared the hosts of any traces of gs.apple. However, I can't seem to do the TinyUmbrella method as the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" is grayed out. I really need the help.

Thanks in advance.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you cannot use this method to upgrade to iOS 6.1. In fact, you can't upgrade to iOS 6.1 any longer. The only iOS you can upgrade to is iOS 7 (and maybe iOS 6.1.3 if Apple hasn't closed the window yet ... but if you can, it won't be long).

Sorry.

Marilyn

Corruptedlite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you cannot use this method to upgrade to iOS 6.1. In fact, you can't upgrade to iOS 6.1 any longer. The only iOS you can upgrade to is iOS 7 (and maybe iOS 6.1.3 if Apple hasn't closed the window yet ... but if you can, it won't be long).

Sorry.

Marilyn

Well that sucks, guess I'll have to wait for an iOS7 jailbreak.

Esbioeng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried to update iPad 3 (GSM version) to IOS7; after 10 minutes or so, the 'plug into iTunes' prompt appeared. I plugged in and attempted to restore and got an 'unknown error(-1)'. Repeated (a dozen times) and kept getting the same message. Followed the steps in this post and now I am getting an 'unknown error(3)'. Can't find a reference to this error. Any thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts