What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teaching iPad 101 class

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been recruited by my local library to conduct a basic introductory class about the iPad. While I may know quite a bit about the iPad, I have never actually taught a class.

Has anyone done this? Do you have a PowerPoint or some other presentation that you use?

All suggestions welcome... please!

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would make a copy if the iPad manual ,and use it to reference to.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheater! Make your own powerpoint lazy bones!! Haha you know I'm teasing. But it is a good idea.. make your own powerpoint and be sure to include some of those videos that your team has recently created and as has been suggested parts of the manual. IF we could get the ipad to just do a mirrored screen output we could do a cold walk through in setting up etc... but that's not happening..

Congrats by the way.

iKan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Albeit I have not the pleasure of giving iPad lessons at this time, however...
I have experience in giving 'in-house' tutorials to clients for software usage, along with demonstrating software at the 'Showbiz Expo' at LA convention center.

With that said...
Sounds like you may have enough knowledge with the iPad that you would do just fine giving this class (keep in mind you are commissioned to give a "basic introductory class).

All you need is a projector that reflects what is on the table. Not the kind that passes light thru. Sorry long forgotten the name of that type of projector. Many libraries either has one or can have one transferred from another branch.

Following are a few steps to get and stay in control of the class.
Remember to keep the communication going about your presentation.
1) Just warm up the class by demonstrating a few things you know very well. moderate to not necessarily advanced functions. (This will set the mood and get their interest heightened most likely gearing them up for easier Q&A's)
2) Then allow it to become a Q&A session. (before you know it, you will glide thru their questions with confidence 'til the bell rings)

Good luck and have fun

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
super moderator now a super teacher! woohoo!
wtg scott!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually default to the question answer format after a quick intro also (of course we're talking teaching and parenting classes not gadget classes) it usually makes for a more tailored presentation which results in a happier crowd... make a light-general agenda with flexibility... good advice iKan... one problem though is there is no way to mirror our ipads via projector (that I recall) but we can do some powerpoint presenting. and the projector with light pass we've always simply called "overhead"

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been recruited by my local library to conduct a basic introductory class about the iPad. While I may know quite a bit about the iPad, I have never actually taught a class.

Has anyone done this? Do you have a PowerPoint or some other presentation that you use?

All suggestions welcome... please!

The tutorials on Apple's website offer a good basic walk-thru of the iPad's abilities - you might try playing a couple for your audience. (You may also want to get a VGA-out dongle to use with an LCD projector for demostrations.) Remember to focus mostly on the OOBE (out of box eperience) of a bone-stock iPad rather than aftermarket apps and accessories, at least until the Q&A.

iKan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iKan

I usually default to the question answer format after a quick intro also (of course we're talking teaching and parenting classes not gadget classes) it usually makes for a more tailored presentation which results in a happier crowd... make a light-general agenda with flexibility... good advice iKan... one problem though is there is no way to mirror our ipads via projector (that I recall) but we can do some powerpoint presenting. and the projector with light pass we've always simply called "overhead"

PowerPoint presentations are great tools for most every kind of presentations with it's inherent drawbacks. One being structured, requiring detailed formats and not varying to far from a "script". Another being the possible loss of attention. Ever sat in a 2 hour siminar dominated by PowerPoint? Of course if plenty of supporting documents are given to each attendant in a binder, that would help with following along. Please, I am not bashing PowerPoint mind you. It will be difficult to keep control of timing and mood of several people with different learning levels. You may as well sell tickets to the PowerPoint movie LOL. (just my humor) :) I am assuming the class will have their iPads in hand to follow along

It's been near 15 years of my recolection of a type of "overhead" projector that eluminates onto the object (iPad in this case) reflecting a mirror image back and onto a screen.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google "Creating a Lesson Plan".

Do not hook your iPad up to a monitor and dilly it on a screen. You will bore the crap out of your audience. The use of a power pint to keep you on task and on schedule can be a powerful tour, but do not cause "Deat by PowerPoint". Google that terminology also. The power point slide is brief and generic to spark discussion. Don't just read the slide to your audience...they can do that on their own. They want to ask questions on every slide. Account for the q and a time for each slide when building the presentation. Your goal is to get the participants to participate. Hopefully they have many ipads in their midst and won't need to see yours anyhow. Get them to touch the screen as often as possible...that will make the memory kick in.

What are the general topics that frustrat average new users? You'll see those topics over and over on is forum, but don't forget that many non Hecht users never findnthis forum. How to pay bills on the net...how to print without an AirPrint printer (Javox tutorial), what is the cloud about, the difference between copy and sync...why sync to the cloud instead of a computer desk top, syncing photos with iTunes vs Dropbox or other could server, why the iPad charger and not the PC USB. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

I teach train the trainer so I could go on and on about various learning styles. Just be aware that some like to touch, some like to write some like to listen and some want to smell it. Watch the audience and make sure you don't have any dozzers. Ask questions to people who look lost...not tough questions. Don't put them on the spot. But get them involved so they are not afraid to ask silly questions.

Hope some of that helps.

Nate

Edit...how about a tutorial on how to review a long post on forums for spelling checker errors? (leaving them in this post for effect)

Last edited:

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot depends on the variety of your students. Your class could be just like the forum members.....I'm thinking of getting one (convince me I need it).......I have one (now what do I do with it)........It will not do what I want (why is it not a pc).

Have fun with this class. You're just having a conversation.

OP
I

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of great advice! Who knows, I might be teaching at the grad school level if this one works out!

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every one giving his thoughts, but no one is offering a simple link to download some Power point presentation. I am sure some one, some where did already such a presentation.
But you know what, it seems that it is not that simple to find it on the NET.
I admit to try and failed.
I dare you all to find something.

Most reactions

Latest posts