What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CSi forensics and use of the ipad in real life

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i been takeing class part time on CSI Crime Scene Forensics photos ..basically it teaching me how to take crime scene photos and the set up of the takeing the photos for plotting out the crime scene in the grids or patterns that we are learning to shoot in or the CSI effect as it know in the school ..

the person who teachs the class is a former FBI crime scene tech and he really very good about letting us use the diff digtal media devices in class ..

i have the standard 35mm digtal camera that use the standard s.d. card for storeing the pictures on the card along with all the lens and other goodies for takeing pictures in a hardshell case along with a extra 32.gb apple ipad with power cord and slip cover to use only for school work that keeped in the case with the camera plus it pre loaded with the camera manuls and textbooks on the CSI forensics photograhy ..

we do basic crime scenes reconstructions photos with diff people in the case doing the bodys prostions on the floor and in the house along with he plants things in the background shot and we are to pick it up or not ..

most of us use a apple ipad and a couple have the mac notebook units there for use in class for we take the pictures then go home and use the itunes account and load the photos into the ipad and come back to class room and talk about the pictures and what did we miss in the shot along with stuff he had planted in the shot and did we pick it up in the shot after viewing it on the ipad ..

he said the other day in class that the ipad is the perfect crime scene tool for a CSI photograher to use in there work in the field ..for he give this reason behind the statement the laptop is great for heavy duty work but in the field the ipad can not be beat in the area of long battie life and easly to use as it need and easly to carry around plotting out the photos grid with the new software applications comeing out in the future ..right now we are useing a basic note takeing applications but there is to be two new CSI applications here in a couple of months that was in the newletter that came out a few week ago from the software maker of police CSI software....

do think you see it in the future with the police and fire depts or other agencys out there ..

CHT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This post is very hard to read and comprehend :confused:. From what I could gather from it, I would agree. In my month of using it, the iPad is definitely a nice device for viewing photos.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be a valid replacement for those laptops the Police have in their vehicles.... if they used a keyboard attachment it would be handy.

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I definitely see the iPad as just beginning to get into all the places that would be perfect for it. Replacing the current patrol car units, as cited above, is an excellent example. It is the best at looking at photos of any device out there, including laptops, however, as the original post pointed out, getting those photos into the iPad is still a bit of a challenge. Another thing to consider is the smartphone. With the tech on these devices continuing to get better and better, when you marry the two, smart phone and iPad, I think you get a very powerful combination - the phone for instant data transfer from crime scene to lab, and the iPad for looking at the scenes captured via video or digital stills.

StarLog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
only a matter of time, before the cops see the benifit of ipads in the squad cars.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as the one person put it one day in class the real world application of the ipad is just begining in the world of law enforcement ..when the couple of times i have gone to a real crime scene with a person who does CSI work in the field as a Forensics personal for the county ..

i notice how the other personal interact with the ipad and how it beening used as a device in the real world of application of the tablet system to the world of law enforcement

the best part is that you can log onto the dept website and go through the interdeptment email system you can download the photos and notes to the ipad that was taken in the field that have been emailed to you on the dept email system and when a detective or investigator goes out to do interviews in the field he can carry the ipad in a folio looking case to use as he can write them on the ipad screen for field note take at the interviews to be bought up at a later time to refresh his memory of the one interview who caught his eye dureing the field interviews with the person ..

or as one detective said i can look at the screen and look at the person and go home boy you in a lot of trouble so it now a good time to come clean in the matter that we are talking about for this little machine here has everything about you and we have the truth so it time for the talk and how we are going to help each other right now ..

Most reactions

Latest posts