What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs FAQ

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I upgraded my jailbreak to 6.1.2 and I just downloaded Tinyumbrella 6.12.0

but Tiny Umbrella is still not detecting My IPad 4 or Ipod 5 (Windows7) (I allowed the firewall warning)

Any ideas why not, I googled it but I can't find an answer

And thanks for all your help

Guy

ps : I just downloaded Ifaith v.1.5.4 but it doesn't support Ipad4 or Ipod5

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try using RedSn0w. You'll need to download the iOS IPSW for your device and point RedSn0w to that iOS IPSW. But if your device is jailbroken, Cydia should be saving your blobs automatically. You can use TinyUmbrella or any other utility that deals with blobs to retrieve and save them onto your computer if that's what you're looking to do

cesaaraugusto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question for you. I have an iPad 3, currently with 5.1.1 jailbreaked. I have my shsh for 6.1.2 in Cydia server, as well in my PC. Now that 6.1.3 is out, and I'm no longer able to upgrade it to 6.1.2 in iTunes, then jailbreak with evasi0n. what is the procedure now? Can I update it to 6.1.2 somehow and then jailbreak it with Evasi0n? Do I have to wait until 6.1.3 is hackable? I'm not sure because I read somewhere that something would prevent upgrading A5 chips when out of iTunes. I'm confused so If you could please shed some light I would appreciate.

Regards,
Cesar

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Cesar, as 6.1.2 is no longer being signed by Apple, you won't be able to update to it, if you update to 6.1.3 then you will lose your jailbreak, the only option open to you, if you want to remain jailbroken is, wait till the next iOS is jailbreakable and update to that one.

P.S I wouldn't hold your breath on a quick release!!

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an iPad 2 , 5.1.1 I tried TU and the log file showed a lot of "can not work apple not signing" but the last entry said success and it saved a shsh.

My question will this be a good blob ?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The last entry said successful for iOS 6.1.3 I'm assuming. You can't save 5.1.1 blobs anymore as it's no longer being signed. The only way to retrieve them is if they're already saved and hosted onto Cydia

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks willerz2 , I am new to TU , it's confusing as to why it saves a blob on my pc from 6.1 , I thought these blob things where machine specific ?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope. They're device specific. If you have 6.1 blobs, you should host them onto Cydia for safekeeping and so that you can access them if you need to from any computer. Check to see what blobs Cydia has already. Open up Cydia, and scroll down to the TSS center and see which iOS' are listed at the top. I'd say that iOS 5.1.1 would probably be there if you're looking to re-restore. Remember that you can't selectively restore the iPad 2, so even with blobs, you still can't restore to a non-6.1.3 iOS unfortunately

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Um, sorry, but have to correct this:

For an iPad2 ONLY - If you are on iOS 6.x, you can selectively restore iOS 5.x onto an iPad2 IF you have SHSH blobs from both iOS 4.x (any version) AND iOS 5.x (any of the jailbreakable versions). Oh, and you can't have put iOS 6 onto the iPad2 via the over-the-air method. If all those conditions are met, you can downgrade an iPad2 to iOS 5.x from iOS 6.x.

This is only for the iPad 2, which you have, Sun King. The iPad 3 and higher can't do this (they never had iOS 4, so can never have the blobs required to downgrade).

Also, for any iPad - if you are still on iOS 5.1.1, you can re-restore iOS 5.1.1 using the methods outlined here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92572, thus getting a "clean" install of iOS 5.1.1, ready for re-jailbreaking.

Just so's you know.

Marilyn

santic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very useful article! i have a question: why if my JB iPad 2 currently has iOS 4.3.3, after i used tiny umbrella it says that i have SHSH for 4.3.5, 5.1.1 and 6.0.1? i can use them or im screwed?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very useful article! i have a question: why if my JB iPad 2 currently has iOS 4.3.3, after i used tiny umbrella it says that i have SHSH for 4.3.5, 5.1.1 and 6.0.1? i can use them or im screwed?

I'm 99% sure you can use those blobs to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. The uncertainty is that I'm pretty sure you cannot go to iOS 6.0.1 - you can only go to iOS 5.1.1.

For more info on how to go to iOS 5.1.1, please see this link: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html

Good luck. Holler back if you need more.

Marilyn

nikola987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 (gsm) is currently on iOS 5.0.1 and its JB, and I have been saving blobs since version 6.0.1...

Now, large number of apps are requiring al least iOS 5.1, so i have decided to upgrade my iPad to iOS 6.1, but I cant restore (always gives me error)..
Anyway, what good are saving blobs now when they can not be used for restoring? Or is it just problem with my iPad?
I have followed every tutorial here with no luck (i have tried restoring with dfu mode also, and it gives me different error number but the problem is the same).

Can anyone please help me? :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad 2 (gsm) is currently on iOS 5.0.1 and its JB, and I have been saving blobs since version 6.0.1...

Now, large number of apps are requiring al least iOS 5.1, so i have decided to upgrade my iPad to iOS 6.1, but I cant restore (always gives me error)..
Anyway, what good are saving blobs now when they can not be used for restoring? Or is it just problem with my iPad?
I have followed every tutorial here with no luck (i have tried restoring with dfu mode also, and it gives me different error number but the problem is the same).

Can anyone please help me? :(

The problem is that the newer iPads (with the A5 chip) can not use the SHSH blobs. Apple changed the way they worked when they released iOS 5.x. So, really, we just save blobs in case someone in the jail break community figures out a way to use them. Essentially, they are useless to us, now. Sorry.

That means that you cannot selectively upgrade your iPad 2 to a specific version of iOS 6. The only version you can upgrade to is iOS 6.1.3. This version, the only one being signed/authorized by Apple, is not jail breakable (and probably will never be).

So, my suggestion: leave your iPad jail broken on iOS 5.0.1 and wait for the release of iOS 7. We all hope that a jail break for that iOS is found and released soon after it is officially released by Apple (but, no one knows when that'll be). But, if you want to maintain a jail broke iPad, this is your only option.

Sorry to bring such bad news - but, it is what it is.

Marilyn

Most reactions