What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saved SHSH Blob Restores almost at an end?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MuscleNerd has tweeted several messages in the last hour which signal that the golden age of SHSH Blob replay attacks may be nearing an end.

After iOS5 is released it looks as though it will no longer be possible to save new SHSH Blobs and play them back to iTunes to fool it into restoring a previous firmware which is no longer being signed.

Whilst restores of 4.x and 3.x should still work if you have saved blobs and a supported version of iTunes (e.g. 10.3), new 5.x blobs will not be of use if you save them away and try and use them later.

According to MuscleNerd Apple is introducing a "number used once" (nonce) to the signing window just as they do for the baseband at the moment which will defeat the replay attack which is currently exploited to allow saved Blobs to work.

Sad news indeed. This will make it even more important to take great care with your upgrades / restores / and installs when jailbroken OR when waiting for a jailbreak!

If you install something old / incompatible with your device and have to restore you could be in for a world of pain if the "current" firmware is not jailbreakable... :(

Last edited:

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good thing I saved my SHSH blob of 4.3.3 on my brand new iPad..I had a feeling Apple would try something sneaky like that

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you should certainly save the blobs you have just now because you will always be able to reinstall 4.3.3 because of this. It's just saving them after 5.0 is released looks as though it will be futile. But as Musclenerd said in the article, there may be ways to combat the new system, but before it is released is not the time to discuss it in the open!

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As one door closes another door opens. Hopefully that's the case anyway.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL I think geohot will be the saviour once again :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know very little about the iPad hack, but I think it's pretty stupid of apple to do this, considering all the competition of new tablets coming out soon. Things probably will never change until someone else is running the company. But that's just my opinion.

kenz0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I save my 4.3.3 blobs if im currently on 4.3 for the iPad 2?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts