What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restricting access to mail app??

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just doesn't bother me. I would never let someone use my iPad that I couldn't trust to stay out of my email. Doesn't mean I don't understand where you're coming from, it just doesn't matter to me.

1 reason I bought my wife her own....she will leave mine alone...

HAHA.

Matth3w: thanks for sharing your views. I'm a little surprised by the lack of response from anyone else but i guess it's not a big concern for many people.. I just hope that apple will add the option to lock this app in the near future for people like me.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prob will just keep the Email to the Droid for the time being. Or see how the Gmail page is rendered in Safari.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said earlier: There is an option to turn off email accounts in Settings. Although it isn't password-protected, the likelyhood of someone, especially someone unfamiliar with the iPad, finding that switch and turning it back on to read your email, is more remote than just clicking the icon and opening up the mail app.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up already but i can't find anything on it so i'm just gonna ask.

Why is there no option to restrict the mail app out of all the other stuff you can restrict access to? It makes no sense at all! Is there a way to get around this? Or has this been addressed for the next update?

I really don't think iPad was designed to be a multi user device.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figmo: yeah i suppose that is a decent point. No one will bother going through and turning the account on unless they intend harm. I do trust that the people who have access to my ipad have no such intention.. I just wasn't comfortable with the idea that it Can be activated easily if they wish. Maybe i'll re think that optioin for now.

Resputina: whether that is the case or not, that still is a poor reason not to have an option to lock your e-mail. Why even include the option to lock your youtube, safari and itunes app then? It makes no sense.

mamajag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't gotten mine yet. It's still at my MIL's awaiting my birthday...DH told me about it and now I have the wait.

I would like a way to block the email. I can tell you right now that many in my family are drooling over the ipads and it's very likely that there will be a bit of passing it around and such. I don't mind someone in my browser, but my email? Let's just say there's sensitive stuff in there. There should at least be the option, IMO.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can't trust someone with your iPad, don't give it to them. Or don't set up your email, log in from Safari. Or watch them while they use it.

I'm amazed at the families that will peruse your email. I could leave my email logged in with some incriminating email that I cheated on my wife (I never have nor ever will, just hypothetically) and anyone from my family would simply log off my email. No one would read my stuff.

mamajag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I had family I could trust that much. My mom I do trust that much. My inlaws? Not so much. Very conservative to say the least and just as nosy. I'll likely still use the Mail app, but I would be more comfortable with the ability to lock an account down.

While your suggestions would work, not setting up Mail just seems extreme for want of a simple thing like being able to lock an email account, KWIM? It's not a huge complaint, but it is something I wonder why they omitted.

Bpribil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am greatly bothered by this. We use the iPad as a speech device for one of my kids. Therefore it goes with him to school as well as being used by members of the family. I don't want paras reading my email yet I want access too. In addition, I'd love to put movies and such on it without my child being able to access without permission. You should be able to lock each app you want to. Please Apple!?

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
part of the downside to the ipad's iphone heritage (along with no builtin printing capability)... its not like multiple user access control is new technology or anything, or that Mac OS X is multi-user-challenged...

yes I'm bothered by this and have locked up my ipad when in fact family members *would* probably want to use it... for a while I didn't want to use the ipad's email client because of this (and because I've got so many other email clients lying around).

so I would probably just delete my email account info from the ipad first if I decided to let the rest of the family use it... either that, or buy the family a 2nd one... (which is probably half of what motivates Apple to not include such an obvious feature...)

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
part of the downside to the ipad's iphone heritage (along with no builtin printing capability)... its not like multiple user access control is new technology or anything, or that Mac OS X is multi-user-challenged...

yes I'm bothered by this and have locked up my ipad when in fact family members *would* probably want to use it... for a while I didn't want to use the ipad's email client because of this (and because I've got so many other email clients lying around).

so I would probably just delete my email account info from the ipad first if I decided to let the rest of the family use it... either that, or buy the family a 2nd one... (which is probably half of what motivates Apple to not include such an obvious feature...)

Maybe just use the Web browser version of the Email? Personally I use Gmail and this is what I will prob do over the actual app.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
iPad is not ment to be a multi user device.

If you dont trust a person to read your emails than dont let them use the iPad at all.

derektom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To prevent kids from accidentally deleting emails

I have a 2-year-old and 8-year-old and I'd like this feature to prevent my them (well, primarily my 2-year-old) from accidentally deleting my emails.

If I could just use the "Restrictions" feature on Mail, that'd be perfect.

No excuses for Apple... this feature should be added.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts