What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restrict access to Cydia apps

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am getting myself a new iPad and will be leaving the one I have home for the wife and kids to use.
It is an iPad3 64GB with iOS7.0.4, Jailbroken

I have installed iFile on it and want to leave it on there for the few times that I fiddle around with the iPad.
Though it is hidden away in an obscure folder, my little one has the tendency to fiddle around with apps.

Is there anyway that I can restrict access to iFile? The general-restrictions options does not allow me to add file to it.

Any help would be appreciated. My last resort is to uninstall iFile.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are tweaks that allows you to password protect folders and/or specific applications such as Lockdown or AppLocker. SBSettings has not been updated for iOS 7 support, and the "Poof!" feature hasn't been updated or released as a standalone tweak either, so you can't physically hide the icons.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks willerz2
Lockdown says that it is not designed for iPad. Will give AppLocker a go and see what happens.
Thanks again

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if you can find LockDown Lite iPad if you're looking for the free version of LockDown. The developer has differentiated the smaller form factors and the larger form factors

OP
P
Reaction score
I tried to install Lockdown Lite iPad. On the install page it said "for iOS 6". I tried it anyway. It does not work on iOS7+ It installs just fine but after the restart, starting any App causes the iPad to crash and reboot in Safe Mode.
Will shell out some money and try the paid version later. :eek:

Just to confirm, has anyone successfully used paid versions of Lockdown or Applocker on an iPad3 with 7.04?
All I want to do is put all "MY" apps in one folder and lock it so that my children can't access that folder.

Thanks for your suggestions willerz2

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am [successfully] using "Lockdown Pro iOS 7" ($1.99, USD) on my iPad Air (and my iPhone 5). It's not the iPad 4, but I'm figuring if it works on the Air, it'll work on the others.

It's very simple and effective, IMNSHO. And you have so many options to lock up apps, folders and apps within folders(if you lock a folder, you have an option to lock the apps, too ... or not). In addition to locking apps/folders, you can hide them. You can also lock the tweak's settings in the Settings app so that only you can change what you've done.

My favorite part is where it ties in with [Petrich's tweak] Activator. With an Activator gesture, I can globally turn on (and off) the protection. Of course, you have to use the password to do this, but this way, with it off globally, you don't have to keep putting in a password while you are using it. Then, when you are ready to hand it off to the young 'uns, you activate it with one password input and ta da! Protected iPad.

Whew. I just sounded like a commercial! :) The main point is, as far as I can tell, having Lockdown Pro on my iPad Air works fine and has no adverse affect. I must say, however, that I don't use the "hide locked apps/folders" option - so that I can't attest to. The rest is pretty cool...

Marilyn

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.
Commercial or not, was just what I wanted to hear :eek:.
Not interested in the "hide folders", just want to restrict access to apps like iFile, and access to entire folders.
Will get the Lockdown Pro and use it once I give my iPad to the kids.
Thanks again

Most reactions