What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adding mail contacts

bwhicher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 78 year old friend just bought a iPad (first computer)

I've set up gmail for him and set up MS exchange so his iPad syncs with the GMail account.

I don't have an iPad but I'm a wantaBe so my experience is limited to WINDOWS and my iTouch.

Problem is I can't figure out how to add contacts in the Mail app (Active Sync with GMail).

If I/we are in mail and compose a new email and the contact is in GMail it will list contacts already in contacts, no problem. However if I add a new email address on the To: line, it adds the contact but I can't find out how to enter names, addresses and such.

There MUST be a way and I just don't see it?

He will not have access to a computer so GMail account on computer is not an option

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You/he could easily log into his gmail account using safari on the ipad and edit/add contacts.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've set up gmail for him and set up MS exchange so his iPad syncs with the GMail account.

I don't have an iPad but I'm a wantaBe so my experience is limited to WINDOWS and my iTouch.

Problem is I can't figure out how to add contacts in the Mail app (Active Sync with GMail).

If I/we are in mail and compose a new email and the contact is in GMail it will list contacts already in contacts, no problem. However if I add a new email address on the To: line, it adds the contact but I can't find out how to enter names, addresses and such.

He will not have access to a computer so GMail account on computer is not an option

If you want to add names, addresses etc you can do this by using the iPad's separate 'Contacts' app, which is situated - usually - on the iPad's Home page. If you open that app, all your contacts will be listed (these are the local ones that are stored on the iPad, not any that are located on GMail) and here you can edit them.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if either this or the other poster's suggestion were not what you were looking for.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bwhicher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the "Contacts" app last night, and there is was, everything I couldn't do in "Mail" was right there along with all contacts I sync'd from gmail.

Thanks

If you want to add names, addresses etc you can do this by using the iPad's separate 'Contacts' app, which is situated - usually - on the iPad's Home page. If you open that app, all your contacts will be listed (these are the local ones that are stored on the iPad, not any that are located on GMail) and here you can edit them.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if either this or the other poster's suggestion were not what you were looking for.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts