What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail app problem

Hobby welder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this has been asked before.... I'm sorry if it has...

So, about 10 minutes ago (10:31 PM my time) I opened my mail app on my iPad 2 and got the message: cannot get mail, connection to server failed

What's causing this? It doesn't stop me from getting emails, but it's extremely annoying, I've tried the double click home and close app, restart, I'm not sure what to do now.

Also, this isn't a work iPad, it's a personal iPad.

kent keilholtz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same message with gmail. Google forum recommends turning mail off on all devices which use gmail, deleting gmail acct, powering down iPad. Restart iPad add gmail account. You may save mail to another acct before deleting gmail. Many google forum members reported success. I did not. My iPod with the same gmail account does not have any problems. Does your message mention gmail?
Good luck.
Somebody must have another solution. Please help.

OP
H

Hobby welder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, mine does not mention gmail.

I have 4 emails accounts, 3 gmail, 1 hotmail.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, mine does not mention gmail.

I have 4 emails accounts, 3 gmail, 1 hotmail.

My Outlook account is causing the same popup at the moment. I'm still trying to find out if it's a Hotmail/Outlook problem.
You could try to delete the mail account that's showing the issue, and then set up again. Sometimes that solves problems like these.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I found (Outlook status page):

Problem: You might have issues syncing email with your mobile device. 15 August 06:44

They're working on it.

Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gmail is working fine for me.

Things may just return to normal. It may be worth reporting the problem to Google, if the problem persists.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had same last night on ipad and iphone but ok now.

Most reactions