What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore Ipad without connective to computer?

destined4soda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restore Ipad without connecting to computer?

I'm in a real bind here. I have an Ipad that has some sort of defective connection and will not connect to any computer. Applecare will cover it, however, the unit is jailbroken. I've heard some horror stories about applecare being voided with hacked devices. I am also aware that I can boot into DFU mode, but to do so, I'm under the impression that it has to be connected to a computer. Any idea how I can restore this thing without connecting to any computer?

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes the warrenty is void once you jailbreak. Also the only way to perform a full restore is to connect it to a computer with the cable.

However you can perform the following steps and they probably wont be able to notice at the apple store if it was broken and will replace it.

#1 go to settings
#2 go to general settings
#3 go to reset at the very bottom
#4 select Reset all content and settings

This will reboot the iPad and you will see the white progress bar as it clears everything off of the iPad. Then it will come to the screen saying "connect to iTunes" just like how it came from the factory. They will be unable to use the iPad unless they get the cable connection to work and connect to iTunes. Even then it may not be jailbroken any more.

jeremy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am now having the same problem. My ipad will not connect to any computer/itunes and it is jailbroken. Only my problem is a little more complicated. When I try to Erase All Content and Settings, the loading bar appears for a second and then disappears and hangs up on the Apple loading screen. I think i've just about tried everything. Am I screwed?

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you should NEVER

#1 go to settings
#2 go to general settings
#3 go to reset at the very bottom
#4 select Reset all content and settings
on any jailbroken device!! you end up having to restore from computer anyway!!!

have you guys that are having these connection problems trying different cables or going into dfu mode etc??

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am now having the same problem. My ipad will not connect to any computer/itunes and it is jailbroken. Only my problem is a little more complicated. When I try to Erase All Content and Settings, the loading bar appears for a second and then disappears and hangs up on the Apple loading screen. I think i've just about tried everything. Am I screwed?

I am assuming you want to restore the iPad. If you had the same problem, then you would just be handing the iPad in to Apple, which is what the OP wanted to do and that's why he was given this advice. If you are handing it in to Apple for replacement or whatever, then just hand it is now...

If on the other hand you want to restore the iPad to working operation yourself, you need to enter DFU mode. I wrote this guide to help you...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

When you connect to iTunes you will then be prompted to restore. Using DFU mode is the ONLY way you will get it to work so you must use this method.

jeremy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the help. I wanted to restore my iPad before i take it in because i'm afraid they won't help me if it's jailbroken. I tried like a hundred times to put it in DFU mode but itunes (or my computer) will not recognize the ipad at all. I was able to remove Cydia from my ipad using mobile terminal, but it still has Activator and Mobile Terminal. if i can somehow get rid of both of those programs, i think i can hid the fact that it's jailbroken and maybe apple will replace it. any more suggestions would be appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you for the help. I wanted to restore my iPad before i take it in because i'm afraid they won't help me if it's jailbroken. I tried like a hundred times to put it in DFU mode but itunes (or my computer) will not recognize the ipad at all. I was able to remove Cydia from my ipad using mobile terminal, but it still has Activator and Mobile Terminal. if i can somehow get rid of both of those programs, i think i can hid the fact that it's jailbroken and maybe apple will replace it. any more suggestions would be appreciated.

So if all you want to do is return it to apple, then just follow frenchroll's instructions above. This will render your iPad inoperable but there will be no way for Apple to tell that it was jailbroken. But be clear. You will not be able to restore it yourself if you change your mind, unless you can get it into DFU mode and recognised by your PC again...
It is the best and only thing you can do if you intend to return the device and cannot restore it yourself. This is the only scenario I would recommend doing this for.

jeremy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said in my previous message. I am unable to Erase All Content and Settings. When I try to, it freezes and I have to do a hard reset to turn it back on. Then when it comes back on, nothing is erased.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jeremy83 said:
As I said in my previous message. I am unable to Erase All Content and Settings. When I try to, it freezes and I have to do a hard reset to turn it back on. Then when it comes back on, nothing is erased.

I said earlier you SHOULD NOT do that to a jailbroken device!!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jeremy83 said:

Well, I have never heard of "Erase All Contents & Settings" not rendering a jailbroken iPad inoperable, which is what you are trying to do. For the avoidance of doubt, that is the ONLY reason I am recommending you do this. Normally you NEVER take this option with a jailbroken device, but you have stated you want to return the device to Apple and it is jailbroken, but you can't restore it on the computer.

Usually, once you press the "erase all content and settings" button, the device should be stuck at the Apple logo and even if you reset the iPad it should still hang there in an endless loop. I am amazed you are able to reset and get the iPad to reboot into a jailbroken state. How long did you leave it stuck at the Apple logo before you reset? You should leave it for a good few minutes, and not reset immediately. Perhaps it is because you tried to remove components of the jailbreak with Mobiile Terminal, I don't know and it is impossible to troubleshoot.

The only option open to you now is therefore to fix the problem with your PC. You need to put your device back into DFU Mode and then get the drivers to install correctly. You must have interrupted the process before (it is easily done).
The easiest way to do this is to plug the iPad into a DIFFERENT USB port than the one you are using ONCE the iPad is in DFU mode (not before). You know it is in DFU mode if you followed the instructions and the screen is black.
If you are using a USB hub, then don't plug it in there. Plug it directly into another main USB socket on the computer and allow the DFU driver installation to complete. iTunes should then recognise the device and allow you to restore it to factory settings.
If you cannot solve the problem with your PC, then you will need to try any friends that has iTunes installed (it will not mess up their PC, as long as you connect the device when it is in DFU mode and allow the drivers to install). Again, iTunes will prompt you to restore the iPad and it will set it back to factory defaults on 4.3.3.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

jeremy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I figured my last shot was to use mobile terminal to remove everything "jailbrake" that i could and take it to the Genius Bar. So, that's what i did. I removed everything i could, and ran the battery to 0 and then took it in. The replaced it, saying it was a hardware issue with no questions asked :)

Most reactions

Latest posts