What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raw photo management

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help me out here. If you can't profile the display on the iPad, how much utility is there in being able to view or edit raw files?

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jnewell said:
Help me out here. If you can't profile the display on the iPad, how much utility is there in being able to view or edit raw files?

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Do you want the histogram? Photosmith does not do that. I think I've seen apps that do, though.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jnewell said:

If you don't need colour calibrated images then this is a non issue e.g. For amateur use or even just as samples for review.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're not working with a profile, I would say that editing raw files is possibly a waste of time. You don't stand much chance of gettting WB right, for starters.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see it as a waste of time. For personal use or for generating samples etc. then it is fine.
I agree you couldn't go do this route for finished professional work though.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fair enough. Somewhat close to this, begging pardon if it's too OT, has anyone used Snapseed (by NIK) yet? It was introduced within the past day or so for iPad only. It looks somewhat promising...haven't taken the $5 bet yet, though. ;) Edit: here's a link to the NIK page describing the app: http://www.niksoftware.com/snapseed/usa/index.php I think I would have listed the various tools and features in almost exactly the reverse order (I would have put the things on the bottom half of the web page on the top half and vice versa).

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Nik Software plugs ins for Photoshop are awesome - this seems like a blend of Vivenza & Colour Efex Pro. The only potential downside I can see is output methods - there is no mention of saving back to photo library. I assume this is possible but I would need confirmation before considering this. It does look excellent though.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you find out anymore about Snapseed? I contacted the developers however it doesn't currently support RAW files. That means I will need to pony up for Filterstorm or Photogene to save RAW files to jpg on the iPad itself. A dilemma as I was holding off for the new update for Filterstorm which is due around the end of June. The Pro version is just too pricey to take a punt on. I may have to check out Photogene as the cheapest option and see how I get on with it.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the OP - I've been continuing to think about whether this would work in my workflow (as an alternative workflow)...I read a review recently of an app called PiRAWnah that the photog said worked extremely well as a raw import app. For editing, he was praising Photogene. I think the review/post was before Nik introduced Snapseed, for what that's worth. Anyway, if you're still thinking about this, you could check those out.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read the AppStore summaries for those two apps and I'm not really sure why you'd buy both...:confused:...need to dig some more and Google up more reviews/blogs/etc.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yip, this was just added to Snapseed in their last update. Photoforge 2 also supports RAW files.

Most reactions

Latest posts