What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JPG and RAW Files in Photos

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have seen mention of the the Photos app "optimising" images when it up loads camera files via the Camera Connection Kit.

Does this mean that the JPG files are altered? I assume that the RAW files are not changed.

Also, is there a way to copy files from the the Photos app to an external drive or network drive? The usefulness this depends on the answer to the original question.

I had originally planned to use the iPad as a backup device for my photos while traveling. There seem to be quite a few reasons why this isn't a practical idea, this might be another one.

Chikubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
I have seen mention of the the Photos app "optimising" images when it up loads camera files via the Camera Connection Kit.

Does this mean that the JPG files are altered? I assume that the RAW files are not changed.

Also, is there a way to copy files from the the Photos app to an external drive or network drive? The usefulness this depends on the answer to the original question.

I had originally planned to use the iPad as a backup device for my photos while traveling. There seem to be quite a few reasons why this isn't a practical idea, this might be another one.

Importing files from the camera directly to the iPad w/ the kit doesn't alter the files in any way. Once they're imported you can work with them with whatever editor you like and save them to the Saved Photos folder in Photos for import to computer later. The catch is that most editing apps only allow up to a certain image size in most cases, so they're really only useful for quick edits for blogs, email, Flickr, etc. In any case, if you want to import the original files plus any saved edited ones to your PC later, just hook the iPad up and fire up Lightroom, Aperture, Image Capture, etc. and it'll import them same as if it was any regular camera. I do this with my D3 and D200 all the time. iPad's fine for temp image storage while out on shoot or traveling.

ipadparker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So Chikubi, do you import the files through the SD card or direct connect? I am thinking about getting the Camera Connection kit to import my Canon camera photos for storage and some viewing while on vacation this summer. This year I will be managing 3 cameras with some of the photos being shot RAW. There will be no degradation in the files while I store them on the IPad?

Parker

Chikubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadparker said:
So Chikubi, do you import the files through the SD card or direct connect? I am thinking about getting the Camera Connection kit to import my Canon camera photos for storage and some viewing while on vacation this summer. This year I will be managing 3 cameras with some of the photos being shot RAW. There will be no degradation in the files while I store them on the IPad?

Parker

For those two cams I use USB direct connect, but for my P&S the SD adapter 'cause it's just quicker. Either adapter works the same, ultimately. USB adapter also works with my cardreader too, but it's a simple reader and doesn't suck any power (Targus, I think. $10 at Walmart). No matter which you use, the files get copied onto the iPad in their original format and when you import them onto the computer later, they're the same files; no different than if you had copied from the camera directly. RAWs or .jpgs work fine. I use Photogene Pro for iPad editing, but like I said, it has its limits, so for any serious editing like work shoots, etc., that brings out the laptop. For blog work, Facebook, forums and stuff though, Photogene is very handy and good enough.

Most reactions

Latest posts