What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulk delete photos

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a simple way of deleting hundreds/thousands of images from Photos without having to individually select each photo.

We use the iPad Photos to view pics when travelling, primarily to view underwater shots for immediate id' ing of small creatures. When we get home my wife import the images into Photoshop Elements to work on the files some are Jpgs and others are raw. For integrity reasons the uploading to PE is done directly from the camera card, plus this is a different PC to the linked iTunes.

Over the last 6 months we have not bothered about the restriction, but we are now running out of memory.

Any suhggestions on what we can do OR if we are not seeing a feature in Photos.

Thanks
Talcenty

ps tried a third party app (photomgrpro) and this simply duplicates the files in photos to make its folders and says they have to do this because of the way 'Photos' work.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPhone I can bulk delete photos in Windows Explorer when the phone is connected via USB.

I just tried the same thing with my iPad (iPad 2 iOS5) and you can do this way was well. The only caveat appears to be that images imported from RAW files (in my case Nikon .NEF) don't have thumbnails so they will have to be deleted from the file name only.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't realise this until quite recently, but photos are the only files that you can access, copy and delete via Windows Explorer. I'm not sure whether this was always possible or a recent change. It don't know why the DCIM directory and photo file names are recognisable but the subdirectories names are not.

It means that the iPad can be used as a backup device for your photos while travelling.

If you sort by file name, the raw and jpg files appear adjacent to each other and you can use the jpg thumbnail to identify the files.

OP
T

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks k1w1.

I am pretty sure this is IoS 5 feature. I had looked at IPad through explorer but nothing was recognised. 95% certain but have just upgraded to IoS 5 from 4.3.5 so can't go back to check.

So problem solved and we have plenty of space for new photos. Particularly important when we go on a weeks diving overseas.

Cheers

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not an iOS5 feature. I have been doing it with my iPhone since it had iOS3xx loaded and my iPad with iOS4.3.x!

It used to be the way recommended (by Apple in their support notes) to transfer photos to a PC.

Most reactions