What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding jailbreaking

blackjays24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading around the web and through the tutorial thread and I'm a little confused on what I should be going with.

I've just purchased a 32gb iPad Air (1) and it's loaded with 8.1 (12B410).

I want to do a untethered jailbreak so that I don't have to connect my iPad to my computer every time I reboot.

So I have two questions

A) Should I/ Can I upgrade to 8.1.2 and get a untethered jailbreak?
B) Should I be using Pangu or a different jailbreaking software?

I understand this isn't rocket science; however, I would appreciate somebody taking the time to clear up my confusion.

Thank you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest you do exactly as you thought - upgrade the iPad to iOS 8.1.2 and then jailbreak it.

To upgrade, use iTunes (don't do the over-the-air (OTA) on the iPad). Sometimes, a jailbreak doesn't work with an iPad that's on an iOS via the OTA method.

Then, once you are on iOS 8.1.2, you can do an untethered jailbreak using the TaiG jailbreak tool. Here's directions for that: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-x-using-taig.125390/

Hopefully, that'll do it for you. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Marilyn

OP
B

blackjays24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest you do exactly as you thought - upgrade the iPad to iOS 8.1.2 and then jailbreak it.

To upgrade, use iTunes (don't do the over-the-air (OTA) on the iPad). Sometimes, a jailbreak doesn't work with an iPad that's on an iOS via the OTA method.

Then, once you are on iOS 8.1.2, you can do an untethered jailbreak using the TaiG jailbreak tool. Here's directions for that: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-x-using-taig.125390/

Hopefully, that'll do it for you. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Marilyn

Just to clarify, by OTA do you mean don't do the update on the iPad itself? Do it through iTunes?

OP
B

blackjays24

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Just to clarify, by OTA do you mean don't do the update on the iPad itself? Do it through iTunes?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. Use iTunes to upgrade the iPad.

Some people have no issues with the OTA method and a jailbreak took. However, I've read where more people have issues than not.

So, to save time and potential hassle - I always recommend using iTunes to do upgrades.

Marilyn

OP
B

blackjays24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got ya.

Two unrelated questions...

It's taken like almost 4 hours for my iPad to update through itunes?

Is that normal? I have a very fast internet connection, I can't fathom what could be taking that long when a regular one is done in minutes (on my iPhone)

Also, this is 32gb, what could possibly be taking up over 10 gb standard on the device? Like I only have 20 gbs of space and I just got the thing

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. No - it shouldn't take 4 hours to upgrade the iPad. At least, it never takes that long for my iPad when I upgrade.

I'm just wondering - when you started the prcess, did you select to "restore" the iPad or "update"? Cause sometimes, an update doesn't "clean up" the iPad as nicely as a fresh restore/install does.

So, if I may, I'd recommend starting again. Only this time, don't let iTunes get the firmware and do the work - you do it manually by putting the iPad into what is called DFU mode.

To do this, follow the steps in this tutorial to put iOS 8.1.2 onto your iPad:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/

You don't have to worry about or follow the steps in step 2. Just skip over that part.

Oh, and I am assuming you've already made a backup. So, when iTunes promps you, you can use the backup to restore the iPad. But, you can restore as new (given you have a new ipad0.

This process should not take very long, so you should be on iOS 8.1.2 in no time. If you run into problems, holler back and we'll take another shot at it. Good luck.

Marilyn

Reaction score
I've been reading around the web and through the tutorial thread and I'm a little confused on what I should be going with.

I've just purchased a 32gb iPad Air (1) and it's loaded with 8.1 (12B410).

I want to do a untethered jailbreak so that I don't have to connect my iPad to my computer every time I reboot.

So I have two questions

A) Should I/ Can I upgrade to 8.1.2 and get a untethered jailbreak?
B) Should I be using Pangu or a different jailbreaking software?

I understand this isn't rocket science; however, I would appreciate somebody taking the time to clear up my confusion.

Thank you.

What is a 'jailbreak' please?

Reaction score
Thankyou for the explanation. I am, however, too technically inept to attempt to adjust my iPad.... and too afraid I might mess it all up in some way. A little knowledge and all that ! As a vehicle technician (in a past life) I know how difficult it is to alter original programming without turning the whole thing into a rat's nest of horribleness. My needs are very few and I have no need to make my machine jump through hoops, so will remain now educated as to what 'jail breaking' means, but remain in that self-same jail, of which I was previously unaware !

Most reactions

Latest posts