What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please explain what to do about missing shsh blob?

Guitar Man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Guitar Man here! Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I am a newbie to the Apple world! I have always been a Windows user and so I just got a 32gb ipad3, with wifi only, and have recently jailbreaked it. I am am a little disappointed because I tried to find my shsh blob and I missed the window through Apple and Cydia says I'm in the TSS Que. So I can't get my shsh blob from Apple, and Cydia is installed and working but isn't supplying me with a blob...What does this mean for my ios 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak? Will I lose it? Can anyone please help to explain to me what this means? As I said, on the Cydia home page, it doesn't list any saved blobs, just a note saying Pending TSS QUE? Please help, thank you:)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Guitar Man here! Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I am a newbie to the Apple world! I have always been a Windows user and so I just got a 32gb ipad3, with wifi only, and have recently jailbreaked it. I am am a little disappointed because I tried to find my shsh blob and I missed the window through Apple and Cydia says I'm in the TSS Que. So I can't get my shsh blob from Apple, and Cydia is installed and working but isn't supplying me with a blob...What does this mean for my ios 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak? Will I lose it? Can anyone please help to explain to me what this means? As I said, on the Cydia home page, it doesn't list any saved blobs, just a note saying Pending TSS QUE? Please help, thank you:)

If you jail broke your iPad after September 21, the odds are very good that you do not have your SHSH blobs saved (unless you ran Tiny Umbrella before that date to save those blobs). That statement at Cydia means that the servers have you in the queue to save the blobs that are savable. Unfortunately, it won't be iOS 5.1.1 (as the window is now closed).

However, this does not affect your current jail break. Saving and having blobs is a separate process from the jail break. But, without those blobs, you'll just have to be careful with your jail break when it comes to installing tweaks. You won't be able to re-restore your iPad3 without those blobs. So, just be careful and ensure you only install those tweaks that have been vetted by the jail break community.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
Guitar Man

Guitar Man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
If you jail broke your iPad after September 21, the odds are very good that you do not have your SHSH blobs saved (unless you ran Tiny Umbrella before that date to save those blobs). That statement at Cydia means that the servers have you in the queue to save the blobs that are savable. Unfortunately, it won't be iOS 5.1.1 (as the window is now closed).

However, this does not affect your current jail break. Saving and having blobs is a separate process from the jail break. But, without those blobs, you'll just have to be careful with your jail break when it comes to installing tweaks. You won't be able to re-restore your iPad3 without those blobs. So, just be careful and ensure you only install those tweaks that have been vetted by the jail break community.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Marilyn for your reply! I'm disappointed that I didn't do a little more research in the jail breaking tutorial. If I had, I would have known about the shsh blob thing!
I jail broke my iPad 3 32 gb wifi only on or around the first week of September, but didn't know I had to save the shsh blobs to restore my iPad jail break in case of a problem. So, what your are saying is the blobs are there to restore the iPad to Apple specs without upgrading to ios 6, or is the blob there to restore the jail break? Could you let me know...either way, I don't have a blob saved, so am I screwed if I need to restore my iPad?
Thank you

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what Cydia's owner, saurik, says about SHSH blobs: "When you open Cydia, it automatically saves your device's available SHSH (signatures), so that you can use Cydia's signature server replacement to restore your device with those firmware versions later (after Apple no longer signs them)."

So, I believe this means that Cydia has your blobs - you are in a queue for them to process (that's why you have the notification). I think. I can't verify that the queue doesn't mean that Cydia servers are waiting to ask for your blobs (which means they won't get them now - because the window is closed for 5.1.1).

Have you tried downloading and running Tiny Umbrella? If the blobs are there - Tiny Umbrella will download them to your computer. IMO, it's best to have the blobs saved wherever you can (backups are good!).

Then, all I can suggest is that you continue to check that notice to see when it changes. Because you are correct, there is nothing you can do with that iPad and iOS 5.1.1 without those blobs.

Marilyn

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351424160.765190.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351424160.765190.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 572
OP
Guitar Man

Guitar Man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you again for your prompt reply! Yes I did run tiny umbrella, only it was 3 nights ago and the blob it saved was 6.0 not a 5.1.1!!! So I guess I'm screwed unless Cydia has my shsh blob in the que pending like you said. I know it was well before Sept. 21, 2012, when I jail broke my device and everything including my tweaks are running ok so far. I did install one tweak that kept crashing my springboard into safe mode so I uninstalled it. I can't remember what tweak it was now but it was definitely causing havoc! I guess all I can do from is point on is be careful what I install and tweak until I receive the blobs from Cydia, if ever. Does this mean that if I have a problem and need to do a restore, I'm stuck upgrading to ios 6 because I don't have the 5.1.1 blob saved only the 6.0 blob? I do have my iPad backed up to my pc. Wouldn't that backup work to restore it to 5.1.1 or does this mean I have to factory restore it including the upgrade to 6.0??

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you followed the steps laid out in our tutorial (which gets your blobs from Cydia as well as Apple) here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html, then I'm afraid you are stuck with only 6.0 blobs if 5.1.1 is not in the list. Even if the queue is pending, you won't get 5.1.1 now.

So, you are stuck with 5.1.1. If you do something so catastrophic that means you have to restore your iPad then you will need to go to 6.0 and lose the jailbreak. But if you are careful, take your time, don't install anything stupid or untested, then you should be just fine :D

Your backup has nothing to do with restoring IOS 5.1.1. The backup does not contain any part of the OS. It is completely separate.

Don't sweat it. Just enjoy your 5.1.1 jailbreak.

OP
Guitar Man

Guitar Man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
If you followed the steps laid out in our tutorial (which gets your blobs from Cydia as well as Apple) here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/42301-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html, then I'm afraid you are stuck with only 6.0 blobs if 5.1.1 is not in the list. Even if the queue is pending, you won't get 5.1.1 now.

So, you are stuck with 5.1.1. If you do something so catastrophic that means you have to restore your iPad then you will need to go to 6.0 and lose the jailbreak. But if you are careful, take your time, don't install anything stupid or untested, then you should be just fine :D

Your backup has nothing to do with restoring IOS 5.1.1. The backup does not contain any part of the OS. It is completely separate.

Don't sweat it. Just enjoy your 5.1.1 jailbreak.

----------------------------------
Ok, I really appreciate the reply. I'm totally bummed that I didn't research the jailbreak a little more. The day I jail broke my iPad 3 back in the first week of September, all went well and I noticed the pending in TSS Que statement at the top of Cydia. What I didn't realize was that I needed to save my blobs. Had I read a little further into the tutorial, and not been so excited that I had jail broke my iPad, I would have known to run Tiny Umbrella to save my 5.1.1 bobs. But oh well, live and learn!! Thanks again for your help and let's hope I don't screw up my jail break before the team comes up with an untethered jail break for ios 6,
Thanks again,
Scott

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are welcome. Lots of folks are in the same boat. Just be careful, use common sense, and you should be fine ;)

treken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
don't want to hijack this thread but can I use a friend's blobs to downgrade back to 5.1.1?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts