What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overall iPad 3 disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kevin has Changed my mind!!!! After 1 day without my iPad 2 I'm officially excited to be getting my new iPad on Friday. Yippee!!!

DJKNIGHT13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder where one is supposed to draw the line between anticipation of the products of a company, and the second coming of whichever deity one subscribes to.

Let's go back a few years to the prehistoric age of home computing. In 1981, Clive Sinclair pretty much invented the home computer. A few years earlier he did invent the pocket calculator, but I digress. His ZX81 computer had 1 kilobyte of RAM (that is Random Access Memory to those who have never needed to know what the different types of memory are), 8 kilobytes of ROM (Read Only Memory), a monochrome display which output to a television set and no sound.

Three years later, the home computer market had expanded exponentially. 1984 saw such beasts as the Commodore 64, with color display, dedicated sound chip (SID: or Sound Interface Device) and external mass storage in the guise of the 1541 floppy disk drive with a whopping 170 kilobytes of storage per disk. Apple were about to join the fray with such machines as the Mackintosh and Lisa, and IBM had the PCjr, with infrared wireless keyboard.

Then things took off. Various GUIs (Graphical User Interface) left the days of a text based OS behind, although it lurked in the background for many years. 8 bit processors gave way to 16 bit, then 32 and so on. The floppy drive went internal, and was superseded by the HDD. Sound chips like the 3-voice SID gradually turned into equipment which could replace hi-fi sound systems.

For years, computers existed as stand-alone systems, then came the Internet. Acoustic modems capable of data transfer of 300 baud, gradually progressed to internal modems up to 56kbaud, and then into a plethora of broadband systems, becoming wireless almost without notice.

I could go on, but I'm writing a post, not a book. And I'm writing this post on a machine which is drawing it's power from inside of itself, is not visibly connected to anything, has a GUI which makes it's predecessors of only a few years ago look sick. The post is being automatically spell-checked as I type (BY TAPPING ON A PIECE OF GLASS). When I get bored with this I can tap on a different bit of this glass and play games (even Dragonvale if I wanted), or refer to the encyclopedia of my choice, make a video call to any part of the world, play a movie or listen to music. This piece of glass is capable of stuff that Arthur C Clarke referred to as "indistinguishable from magic" and you can go into a store and get one, for scarcely more than the price of a Commodore 64 in 1984.

I invite you to be impressed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

An excellent post, I think in todays modern era we take too many things for granted and don't realise how far we have come.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering no one has the latest iPad I cannot see how any one can make decisions about how good or bad it is without at least having time with it.... That is my personal opinion

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering no one has the latest iPad I cannot see how any one can make decisions about how good or bad it is without at least having time with it.... That is my personal opinion

I make decisions about computers all the time without seeing them; I buy most of my tech online. If I read up and it seems good, I buy. If not, I don't.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An excellent post, I think in todays modern era we take too many things for granted and don't realise how far we have come.

I appreciate how far we've come. I don't think not buying any gadget means a lack of appreciation for technology. Just a matter of knowing one's own priorities.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Ipad 1 and to be honest last year and these year wasn't really worth the upgrade i didn't really care for Facetime
and for these year Retina wasn't really worth £700 to spend on a newer iPad. Well going off the topic slight we are going to see a new iPhone these
year and i heard that its going to have wider size and if you notice they put retina in iPhone 4 and now they have just bought it to iPad 3 going by the way
apple do things in past the next year iPad will have a wider screen so that would be next time. I will be upgrading and then have retina and general better screen
to watch movies

mabbent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
Change the design, size feel, additional accessories, different colours, there's so much more they could have do to the new design

If they got the design right the first time, why change it. Until the iPad is flexible and foldable leave it alone.

Martin2453

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think many people, like me, will upgrade to iPad 3 simply because it would be nice to upgrade my original iPad 1, which I've had for over 2 years now. Many would say that this is an unnecessary extravagance of course because the original device is still brilliant and I've not had a single problem with it. I suppose the "swing factor" for me is the excellent resale value you can command for iPad 1so it works out I'll only be paying a couple of hundred quid for a brand new, upgraded and better iPad. Regardless of the feedback it goes without saying that they'll sell millions as they always do!

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder where one is supposed to draw the line between anticipation of the products of a company, and the second coming of whichever deity one subscribes to.

Let's go back a few years to the prehistoric age of home computing. In 1981, Clive Sinclair pretty much invented the home computer. A few years earlier he did invent the pocket calculator, but I digress. His ZX81 computer had 1 kilobyte of RAM (that is Random Access Memory to those who have never needed to know what the different types of memory are), 8 kilobytes of ROM (Read Only Memory), a monochrome display which output to a television set and no sound.

Three years later, the home computer market had expanded exponentially. 1984 saw such beasts as the Commodore 64, with color display, dedicated sound chip (SID: or Sound Interface Device) and external mass storage in the guise of the 1541 floppy disk drive with a whopping 170 kilobytes of storage per disk. Apple were about to join the fray with such machines as the Mackintosh and Lisa, and IBM had the PCjr, with infrared wireless keyboard.

Then things took off. Various GUIs (Graphical User Interface) left the days of a text based OS behind, although it lurked in the background for many years. 8 bit processors gave way to 16 bit, then 32 and so on. The floppy drive went internal, and was superseded by the HDD. Sound chips like the 3-voice SID gradually turned into equipment which could replace hi-fi sound systems.

For years, computers existed as stand-alone systems, then came the Internet. Acoustic modems capable of data transfer of 300 baud, gradually progressed to internal modems up to 56kbaud, and then into a plethora of broadband systems, becoming wireless almost without notice.

I could go on, but I'm writing a post, not a book. And I'm writing this post on a machine which is drawing it's power from inside of itself, is not visibly connected to anything, has a GUI which makes it's predecessors of only a few years ago look sick. The post is being automatically spell-checked as I type (BY TAPPING ON A PIECE OF GLASS). When I get bored with this I can tap on a different bit of this glass and play games (even Dragonvale if I wanted), or refer to the encyclopedia of my choice, make a video call to any part of the world, play a movie or listen to music. This piece of glass is capable of stuff that Arthur C Clarke referred to as "indistinguishable from magic" and you can go into a store and get one, for scarcely more than the price of a Commodore 64 in 1984.

I invite you to be impressed.

Do u work for Apple ? :D Like a Undercover Marketing Agent for the iPad's !! :D

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing that gets overlooked is the huge, game changing, advance in battery technology that is going into the new iPad. I'm not a techi battery guy, but if the battery in the iPad 2 were to be put in the new iPad, battery life would be 5/6 hours tops. The retina display and the quad core graphics chip, sucks up a lot of battery juice. The new apple battery is going to go down as the major innovation from this release. Look for the next gen iPhone to use this same technology. I wouldn't be surprised to see some very extreme battery life numbers thrown around when they are announced. It will blow the socks off the competition.

Leo

losuol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I made a username just to comment on this thread ...

The following is a list of EASY things that Apple could've added to make an actual 'new design' as opposed to slapping a new screen, a 5 yr old camera and calling it a day:

-USB Port
-SIRI Capability
-Upgradable memory slots
-NFC chip technology (technology that's years old now)
-Non wifi-3G/4G GPS service
-Two sound jacks instead of one (when you're using it as a TV on those car trips with friends)
-Actually innovate the Ipad to become more flexible. Again the technology is there, and would be a huge boost if one could implement it into the Ipad.
-Better cameras. 5 MP? Are you kidding me? My 10 year old standalone camera had that ... If you want to 'not carry around a camera', or at least not a real one, try going for 10 or 16 MP.

You people have no creativity! Hell attach some Kinect sensors and give it sensing capabilities that way! There are so many possibilities that would still make a product that's not cluttered, fun, and easy to use. Oh, and is more then just a 'patch' to the old version.

Imagine if someone like Blackberry released a 'new and improved' version with just a better display. No one would buy it! In fact, most people on apple forums would laugh and say it's a joke.

The only good thing about this is that I can now buy a discounted Ipad2 and feel like I'm getting bang for my buck. Apple will be dying in 10 years at this rate, believe me.

Conclusion: Definitely a disappointment

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
losuol said:
OK I made a username just to comment on this thread ...

The following is a list of EASY things that Apple could've added to make an actual 'new design' as opposed to slapping a new screen, a 5 yr old camera and calling it a day:

-USB Port
-SIRI Capability
-Upgradable memory slots
-NFC chip technology (technology that's years old now)
-Non wifi-3G/4G GPS service
-Two sound jacks instead of one (when you're using it as a TV on those car trips with friends)
-Actually innovate the Ipad to become more flexible. Again the technology is there, and would be a huge boost if one could implement it into the Ipad.
-Better cameras. 5 MP? Are you kidding me? My 10 year old standalone camera had that ... If you want to 'not carry around a camera', or at least not a real one, try going for 10 or 16 MP.

You people have no creativity! Hell attach some Kinect sensors and give it sensing capabilities that way! There are so many possibilities that would still make a product that's not cluttered, fun, and easy to use. Oh, and is more then just a 'patch' to the old version.

Imagine if someone like Blackberry released a 'new and improved' version with just a better display. No one would buy it! In fact, most people on apple forums would laugh and say it's a joke.

The only good thing about this is that I can now buy a discounted Ipad2 and feel like I'm getting bang for my buck. Apple will be dying in 10 years at this rate, believe me.

Conclusion: Definitely a disappointment

Completely agree!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts