What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onscreen Keyboard Request

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a simple request for the iPad's onscreen keyboard. Given the size of the screen in comparison to the iPhone, it seems a bit ridiculous to me that the keyboard doesn't contain the number keys at the top of the keyboard and that you are required to go to another page to select numbers. If people are concerned with taking up more room on the screen (I really doubt this would be an issue, especially when measured against the benefits), Apple could instead offer it as a keyboard option just like they offer a few different versions now. Anyone have any thoughts? If others agree, is there a way to communicate this to Apple?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why isn't it possible to simply change out the keyboard for a different one? Have devs looked into that possibility? It cannot be harder than switching out a few files in iFile.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I don't care that much about the number keys... my hot button is ARROW KEYS! Why can't they take one of those huge redundant .?123 keys and split it up to make arrow keys? Anyway, sorry for the interruption..... carry on....

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't care that much about the number keys... my hot button is ARROW KEYS! Why can't they take one of those huge redundant .?123 keys and split it up to make arrow keys? Anyway, sorry for the interruption..... carry on....
I second and third this suggestion!!!

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I think it would be easy for Apple to add the number keys to the keyboard when holding the iPad in portrait mode, since the keyboard takes up what looks like a little less than 1/3 of the screen real estate and another row of keys would probably not be all that intrusive on seeing what you type. I would think Apple thought about doing this, but scrapped the idea because of the landscape mode keyboard. The keyboard already takes up half the screen space on the iPad when typing something, so adding another row would probably make it harder to see what one is typing. Making the keys smaller to squeeze in the number keys may have been ruled out as well since it may make the keys too small to type on the iPad in landscape mode with two hands.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but I imagine this may have been the thought process on Apple's part since they like to keep the mentality of ease of use. Or perhaps it will be put in with some future update...maybe iOS4?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Absolutely. And the dammed apostrophe and quotes on the same keyboard as the letters.

OP
R

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Absolutely. And the dammed apostrophe and quotes on the same keyboard as the letters.
That could be solved by adding the numbers as they could be the "shift" part of the number keys. As for the comment above that Apple may have scrapped the idea since it could take up too much of the room in portrait mode, this could easily be solved by making it a keyboard option, i.e., have both layouts available and let the user select the one they want. I also agree that we should have arrow keys and that these could be easily incorporated. I already sent my suggestion to Apple without, but didn't include the arrow key suggestion so hopefully somebody else sent that one (based on the number of posts above, I'm sure someone did). I think the biggest issue is that Apple has used the iPhone OS, which is fine, but not to adjust the OS to take advantage of things unique to the iPad (like the bigger screen) is completely ridiculous (and lazy) IMHO.

Mosblest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to write an app that takes over the default keyboard? I agree as mentioned arrows and numbers would be an excellent addition. If their was a way to customize or reduce the keyboard that would be great. Also when typing a way to drag the keyboard down to see more text would be cool.

That's all I got.

Most reactions

Latest posts