What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can I do with Apple BT keyboard?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...and how can I turn it off? A previous discussion suggested that if the keyboard was on and near the iPad2, the on-screen keys would not pop up. I can hit the key in the very top right of the bt keyboard and the onscreen one will pop up and down with it, but can't control it from the screen at all. The BT keyboard "ON" button does not seem to also turn the unit off. If that's really so, that sucks. Turning off the BT setting in the iPad might not be an option, because I'm also using BT to tether the iPad to the iPhone for internet.

Now... what I really intended to get on here to try to get help with was, what are all the functions of the Apple keyboard. I haven't been able to find many actual functions that work on the iPad from the BT keyboard. Numbers/letters, Screen brightness, Volume up and down,

(I just had an eeeeeeeeeee run-on typing the word "volume" - and that's kinda concerning. I think I read something briefly about that a while ago.)

(cont.) Tab, and Arrow keys when a cursor is present... are about all I've found so far. Anyone know of other functions... "command/option/control/function keys? F-Keys??

Even if there's not much other than I found, the typing is so, so, so much nicer. I really feel like the decision to replace the laptop with this combination is all worth it now. I have wanted to get rid of the laptop's screen standing up there, covering up some important Amateur Radio equipment faces behind the screen. I'm in a motorhome, and don't have any other work/desk/radio space.

This is fantastic!

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same doubts about turning the thing off when I first got mine. The button on the right side of the "roll" does work. Just hold it down for a second or two.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. That really did work. I know reading the instructions is always good, but it didn't cover turning the thing off. Appreciatie it.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of points. You don't have to turn off the keyboard. It goes into a dormant state when it's not in use. But here's the problem with that. If you simply cover your iPad with a SmartCover to put it to sleep or briefly push the power button to accomplish the same thing, then put your iPad in a bag and put the keyboard in the same bag, you may experience an unwanted serenade from the iPad.

I ran into this problem repeatedly and unpredictably until I realized what was going on. Accidentally hitting the volume button on the keyboard when packed away in a tight bag/case would sometimes activate the iPod application on the iPad even if the iPad was asleep. BTW, this occurred even if my keyboard was encased in the Origami Workstation case and both the keyboard and iPad were packed in a Waterfield Design "Travel Express" case or in a small messenger bag.

Of course, the problem doesn't occur if you're not using a bluetooth keyboard since putting the iPad to sleep effectively turns off the on screen keyboard and doesn't allow any app to be accessed as long as the cover is over the device.

So here's the best procedure (or at least what works for me.) When you're transporting the iPad and the keyboard, either turn off the bluetooth setting (allowing the keyboard to go dormant) or turn off the keyboard by pressing and holding the on/off switch on the end of the barrel until the little green light on the keyboard goes out. Either approach will assure that the iPad cannot be turned on by accidentally pressing a key on the keyboard.

Most reactions