What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad3 Jailbreak Thread

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had problems with RemoveBackground before (on my iPhone). See if that might be the culprit? I use the tweak "WeeKillBackgound Pro" versus that tweak. It's a paid app ($0.99) but I like it better. It goes in your Notification Center and is customizable.

Just a replacement suggestion in case it IS RemoveBackground causing your issues...

Marilyn

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i read up on this. its for the GSM iPhone 4. not for all devices
The rumor was for a much wider array than just the GSM 4. It's "at least" for all AT&T iDevices. This is not to be taken lightly. Some Dev heavy hitters saying beware.

nAV20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you back up and erase all the data? If yes then make sure you have re-activated the iPad before connecting or it will not show on your PC / iTunes etc. I ran the JB as Admin under compatibility mode for XP SP3 and worked just fine.

I have basically bought the new ipad..download stuff from app store, updated the firmware to 5.1.1..when the jailbreak community annouced, we can upgrade..installed the absinthe-win-2.0.1 for win..did extraction, set compatibility..the program opens but when i connect my ipad to computer..the computer sees the ipad but the bloody absinthe-win-2.0.1 doesnt see the model..and therefore i cant press jailbreak..i a complete noobie, i have no idea
the thing is basically out of a box and being used..
if its a new ipad can it definetly be jailbroken?

Does iTunes recognize it? If not you need to fix that first as Absinthe will not work without it. I've found after a failed Jailbreak, I had to reset the iPad to have it recognize again. In iTunes, make sure your backup settings are set to not use a password.

Then make sure your anti-virus programs are off and turn the firewall off on your computer for good measure. Run Absinthe as an administrator.
BTW: I ran it on Windows 2008 R2 64bit - works great.

i will try this..do i just open itunes in pc and connect the ipad and it finds it?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i will try this..do i just open itunes in pc and connect the ipad and it finds it?

Yes. Make sure you have the most current version of iTunes (it's 10.6 as of this writing). Then, when you plug it in, iTunes should recognize it and initialize it for you. All you need is the bare minimum set-up (mainly, you need WiFi).

Once it's recognized by iTunes, then you can run Absinthe.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

reni90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
finally, this is my first jailbreaken device
cyndia isnt quite easy for searching apps
i heared there is a tweak to navigate trough text, like on a keyboard. so when i click on text and wont the cu"cursor" to go left or right i just swak left or right with the fingers. how is called that and where to find it?
second i am now looking for is a web browser with flash player?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
finally, this is my first jailbreaken device
cyndia isnt quite easy for searching apps
i heared there is a tweak to navigate trough text, like on a keyboard. so when i click on text and wont the cu"cursor" to go left or right i just swak left or right with the fingers. how is called that and where to find it?
second i am now looking for is a web browser with flash player?

That first tweak you mention is SwipeSelection and it's a free one! And, if I may say - it is a freaking awesome thing to have on the iPad! I use it all the time now, as most of my posts here are made from the iPad. Very, very handy tool that Apple should steal and make default to the iPad, IMNSHO. ;)

As far as Flash is concerned, I'm sorry but there is nothing in the jail break world for viewing Flash, either. There was something a few years ago called Frash, but the developer ceased work on it and abandoned the project. It never worked well...

For future reference, have a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

The members here have contributed to it and it is a pretty good, definitive list of the tweaks we've used on the iPad. If you see one that you like, Search for it on Cydia and then install it to give it a try (oh, but stay away from RetinaPad if you have an iPad3!).

Happy tweaking!

Marilyn

Raghav_K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had problems with RemoveBackground before (on my iPhone). See if that might be the culprit? I use the tweak "WeeKillBackgound Pro" versus that tweak. It's a paid app ($0.99) but I like it better. It goes in your Notification Center and is customizable.

Just a replacement suggestion in case it IS RemoveBackground causing your issues...

Marilyn

hmm well i had re installed remove background before reading ur post, and thankfully works fine :) staying away from barrel though for sometime...
thanks again marilyn..

p.s: agree with ya.. swipeselection is wayy tooo good... though reading the name, i was first fooled that it was similar to android's swype.. thats probably one thing i miss, coming from android...

nAV20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Make sure you have the most current version of iTunes (it's 10.6 as of this writing). Then, when you plug it in, iTunes should recognize it and initialize it for you. All you need is the bare minimum set-up (mainly, you need WiFi).

Once it's recognized by iTunes, then you can run Absinthe.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Thank u..i did this and now that jailbreak tab is highlighted, silly me, I never realise itunes was so important!!..and now i have to press jailbreak and see what all the fuss is about :D

edit:- fantastic..all went smooth, cydia is installed..do i need to close any ports or anything now that i have done the jailbreak or am i good to go!!? thank u all for your help :)

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nAV20 said:
Thank u..i did this and now that jailbreak tab is highlighted, silly me, I never realise itunes was so important!!..and now i have to press jailbreak and see what all the fuss is about :D

edit:- fantastic..all went smooth, cydia is installed..do i need to close any ports or anything now that i have done the jailbreak or am i good to go!!? thank u all for your help :)

You don't need to close any ports. However be aware that there are jailbreak apps that could get you into trouble. So you should be extra careful to know what you are changing when installing them. Unlike apple store apps, jailbreak apps have access to the os. While the Cydia store does a pretty good job of vetting applications there are other sources that could contain malicious code. Good luck.

nAV20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need to close any ports. However be aware that there are jailbreak apps that could get you into trouble. So you should be extra careful to know what you are changing when installing them. Unlike apple store apps, jailbreak apps have access to the os. While the Cydia store does a pretty good job of vetting applications there are other sources that could contain malicious code. Good luck.

thanks buddy

spartan1195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally decided to jb my iPad3. Was worried about losing my ££'s of paid apps as someone had mentioned so didnt bother wiping it clean. JB was painless :) took less than 5 minutes, all apps still there lol. Cheers guys/gals, now lets find some tweaks and see what this baby can do!;)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
spartan1195 said:
Finally decided to jb my iPad3. Was worried about losing my ££'s of paid apps as someone had mentioned so didnt bother wiping it clean. JB was painless :) took less than 5 minutes, all apps still there lol. Cheers guys/gals, now lets find some tweaks and see what this baby can do!;)

I am not sure that you understand that you can always redownload paid apps from the app store as long as you have access to your iTunes account you bought them with. They are yours even if you get a new device or an additional device.

Synaptic13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how to use springtomizer 2's battery themeing option? Do I need to place my own images? Or are there prepared ones available already? Keep on searching the web but so far notta..lol..thx in advance;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Latest posts