What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i am new the apple products ... i will receive my ipad 2 on Saturday (first apple product) .... if it is not on 4.3.3, should i update it? is the latest ios version still 5.0.1? and signed?(not sure i understand what this is but read that when a new version of IOS is out, the previous version is no more signed..and you will not be able to jailbreak it... if i have understood it correctly)...

edit: and reading rumours that jailbreak will be out soon (maybe tomorrow)... will updating to 5.0.1 on saturday be too late? (srry might sound like a stupid question but to be honest i am kind of confused about the jailbreaking strategy thing) lol

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Don't worry yeahman45, it just seems confusing when you first read it, the longer your here and the more you read the easier it is to understand.
As of this morning when I checked they were still signing 5.01 ........who knows when this Jailbreak will arrive, certainly none of us.....so in answer to will Saturday be too late, I'm sorry, only time will tell.

Good luck with your iPad, and welcome to the best iPad forum on the World Wide Web.

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry yeahman45, it just seems confusing when you first read it, the longer your here and the more you read the easier it is to understand.
As of this morning when I checked they were still signing 5.01 ........who knows when this Jailbreak will arrive, certainly none of us.....so in answer to will Saturday be too late, I'm sorry, only time will tell.

Good luck with your iPad, and welcome to the best iPad forum on the World Wide Web.

apple will stop signing 5.0.1 when 5.1 will be out right? so if by Saturday, ios 5.1 is not out.. i will be able to update to 5.0.1.. am i right?

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeahman45 said:
apple will stop signing 5.0.1 when 5.1 will be out right? so if by Saturday, ios 5.1 is not out.. i will be able to update to 5.0.1.. am i right?

yes.

Kenilik - New Zealand - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
f4780y or Marilyn will explain this better, but from how I believe it, once 5.1 is shown as being available in iTunes then you have around 24 hours from that point to install it.

You can always download it and not install within your options of ITunes.

Hope this helps, I realise lots of different things will affect your reasoning in when to do it. Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y or Marilyn will explain this better, but from how I believe it, once 5.1 is shown as being available in iTunes then you have around 24 hours from that point to install it.

You can always download it and not install within your options of ITunes.

Hope this helps, I realise lots of different things will affect your reasoning in when to do it. Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you

i can download 5.0.1 now and install it later?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, we don't know how long it'll be before a jail break is released, until iOS 5.1 is released or how long the window for installing iOS 5.0.1 will remain open once Apple releases iOS 5.1. Any and all speculation is just that, speculation, and must not be counted on for any planning purposes.

That said, if you intend on not updating to iOS 5.0.1 until a jail break is announced/released or until iOS 5.1 is released, then yes, I would suggest you download iOS 5.0.1 now. Don't install it, mind you, but download it. This is because - when something DOES happen, the odds are good that all servers will be hammered (it's a HUGE file that will take time to download) and it may not be possible to get that firmware version right away. If you already have it downloaded, you've saved yourself some time.

You can get the firmware from our link here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Hope this clarifies ... and stops some of the speculation!

Marilyn

Aftershock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone, apart from those already jailbroken on 4.3.3 wouldn't upgrade to 5.01 now?

I was jailbroken on 4.3.3 but I upgraded 5.01 a few weeks back, looking forward to getting my cydia apps and tweaks back though

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or not. (Almost) nobody knows,please stop speculating everybody. Just be patient and keep the threat a bit clean.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love this cat'n'mouse between Apple and the JBers. Is Apple deliberately holding off and waiting for release of the A5 jail break, just so they can release 5.1 immediately the JB is announced to "spoil" the JB... or is it the other way round and the JBers are making use of every second of jailbreak test time before they are forced to release it 'cos Apple releases 5.1. Having said that, though, cos I've already taken the plunge and moved from my jailbroken 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 a few days ago... I'm eagerly waiting for either the JBers or Apple to blink first!

bae388

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jenningsville said:
I'm eagerly waiting for either the JBers or Apple to blink first!

I agree! I obviously want the JB to be released first, just because it might take another 10 months to develop a JB for 5.1!...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love this cat'n'mouse between Apple and the JBers. Is Apple deliberately holding off and waiting for release of the A5 jail break, just so they can release 5.1 immediately the JB is announced to "spoil" the JB... or is it the other way round and the JBers are making use of every second of jailbreak test time before they are forced to release it 'cos Apple releases 5.1. Having said that, though, cos I've already taken the plunge and moved from my jailbroken 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 a few days ago... I'm eagerly waiting for either the JBers or Apple to blink first!

Actually, it's none of the above! :D

1) the A5 JB is not finished testing yet.
2) IOS 5.1 is not finished testing yet.

As soon as 1) is complete, the JB developers will release it.
As soon as 2) is complete, Apple will release it.

Neither is waiting for the other. Apple can in fact cause maximum hurt by releasing 5.1 as quickly as possible since we already know the corona exploit is patched, so there is no additional "spoiling" by waiting. In fact they would spoil more by releasing quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts