What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshake28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By reading the tweets and @comex tweets.... I have a feeling that this is Jailbreakme 3.0 coming up

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And some bad news :( :-

Not exactly new. The tweet was from the 8th, and he then confirmed that he knows Chronic are still working on the 4.3 release which is NOT what he was talking about...

He also tweeted that he heard the untether exploit is closed, so the blog post you quoted is also factually incorrect in saying it is still alive...

Keep the faith everyone...

milkshake28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lakerfanalways said:
So what does that mean for us iPad 2 owners who have 4.3.3 on their iPads, does this jailbreakme.com work for that

By looking at the current situation (plz correct me if I'm mistaken) all idevices in all it's iOS's are jail broken except the iPad 2, I guess that's what @comex is working on right now, and don't forget that @comex was the first to jailbreak iPad 2

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what does that mean for us iPad 2 owners who have 4.3.3 on their iPads, does this jailbreakme.com work for that

Nobody will know what it means till it's released. That's why it's a teaser! :)

Yeah it would totally SUCK if we found out that it did not..but comex did recently ask everyone to send their 4.3.1, 4.3.2 files(Comex already had 4.3.3 wifi files) so maybe progress has been made

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a userland-PDF-viewer exploit, does that mean that there would be limitations on the jailbreak? Compared to, say, getting root access from the bootrom?

No it doesn't. The only time jailbreakme.com was used in our little world was for iPad1 3.2.1 firmware, and it used a PDF exploit to deploy the jailbreak on the device. A specially malformed PDF was downloaded to the device via Mobile Safari and did it's business.
Where the exploit is has nothing to do with the functionality the jailbreak will provide. It's just a way to get through the door to gain root access and work your magic...

So the most intriguing question is... is the teaser hinting at a new PDF exploit (the old one was well and truly patched in 3.2.2), or is it saying goodbye to the old exploit in preparation for a new one??? :D

Hope that helps.

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it is a userland-PDF-viewer exploit, does that mean that there would be limitations on the jailbreak? Compared to, say, getting root access from the bootrom?

No it doesn't. The only time jailbreakme.com was used in our little world was for iPad1 3.2.1 firmware, and it used a PDF exploit to deploy the jailbreak on the device. A specially malformed PDF was downloaded to the device via Mobile Safari and did it's business.
Where the exploit is has nothing to do with the functionality the jailbreak will provide. It's just a way to get through the door to gain root access and work your magic...

So the most intriguing question is... is the teaser hinting at a new PDF exploit (the old one was well and truly patched in 3.2.2), or is it saying goodbye to the old exploit in preparation for a new one??? :D

Hope that helps.

No matter what it is..I hope(Crosses fingers and toes) that it works for 4.3.3..perhaps that is why Comex needed those files a few days ago..just speculating but that might have something to do with it. I dont care what kind of jailbreak this is as long as it works for the iPad 2 I am super happy!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does an approach like that require that there be a flaw in the application as well as in the app sandbox?

The simplest way to think of it is the flaw in the application code, exploited in exactly the right way, allows you to break out of the "sandbox" and gain the elevated privileges you need to do your stuff...

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really can't see @comex taking down his jailbreakme.com site just for a joke. I think he will be updating that site very soon for iPad 2 JB for all firmwares 4.3 to 4.3.x. Why do you think he asked for those files and if you look for one of the tweets he has them all for iPad 2. 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2 and 4.3.3. For iPad 2 WiFi and 3G (GSM and CDMA)

Maberib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose I probably need to some reading on how one actually implements a sandbox. I would have thought that privileges would be set in such a way that there would be no overflowing to anything outside of that application's allotted space.

Also, Jailbreakme.com now redirects my iPad 2 to Jailbreakme.com/star which is the old site, and tells me that my "version is too new".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts