What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

techknott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would still be classed as tethered. Whenever you need to re-jailbreak after rebooting is tethered.

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[Rule 10 violation - quote of deleted post removed by moderator - DM51]

To my understanding, all userland exploits should be untethered, only those that rely on bootrom exploits are tethered, as they require additional userland exploit to make it untethered. I'm not 100% sure, maybe f4780y can clarify this.

EDIT: let me explain what i meant, for example, the iOS 5 jailbreak from redsn0w is tethered right now, the reason why it is possible is because all those iDevices before the iPad 2 are pwned for life with a bootrom exploit (i.e. limera1n), but it requires additional exploits in the software to make it untethered, which is exactly what i0n1c did to make 4.3.x untethered.

On the other hand, any other pure userland exploits should be untethered

Last edited by a moderator:

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That would still be classed as tethered. Whenever you need to re-jailbreak after rebooting is tethered.

If it only requires to go to a site and hit some buttons/links - well.. that's almost untethered :D

I would hate to connect it to a PC everytime after reboot. Wouldn't know how to explain that to my wife :)

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 posts have been deleted, and 2 more edited.

Members are advised that the discussion of bannings is a violation of Rule 10 and is prohibited.

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 posts have been deleted, and 2 more edited.

Members are advised that the discussion of bannings is a violation of Rule 10 and is prohibited.

okay... anyway, back to topic. anyone can point out if my understanding between tethered and untethered is flawed? or confirm it?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
holymasteric said:
okay... anyway, back to topic. anyone can point out if my understanding between tethered and untethered is flawed? or confirm it?

Almost right holymasteric, but not quite. :D

You can think of the untethering as a separate component. Just because you have a userland exploit does not make the JB untethered by default. I's another part of the process which still needs to be done. But it is true that without an untether a userland JB is pretty useless, because once you have something like mobile substrate running the device won't reboot, and if your exploit is userland you have no way to apply it again! Restore time! :)

I would not be too concerned though. Thanks to i0n1c's method, the untether for 4.3.x is a known quantity, but I'm not aware if there are any additional countermeasures on iPad2. We saw what happened regardning the use of SHSH Blobs for 3G and CDMA owners... fingers crossed the untether remains trivial.

Last edited:
OP
D_LA_ROC

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care if it's tethered. Tethered on an iPad is not bad at all. I remember when Jailbreakme came out. Thousands of people going to one site at once can be frustrating. You just gotta keep trying and hope you get through. Lol

FREE MY iPAD2  @D_LA_ROC ;)

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't care if it's tethered. Tethered on an iPad is not bad at all. I remember when Jailbreakme came out. Thousands of people going to one site at once can be frustrating. You just gotta keep trying and hope you get through. Lol

FREE MY iPAD2  @D_LA_ROC ;)

True, the iPad battery life is long enough to do whatever without having it to drain and forces to jailbreak again if it were to be tethered.

and f4780y i look forward to your explanation =)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
See edit above ;)

To summarise, a tethered userland jailbreak is fairly pointless, so it must be untethered to be viable.

Last edited:

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FoxMcWeezer said:
Don't expect for anyone to give us periodic updates after what happened with comex's first exploit was fixed. And stop putting smiley faces or saying "It'd be awesome if it came out soon!" in an attempt to suck up. Your subtlely isn't working.

I believe we did receive regular updates and why can't anyone say it would be awesome if it came out. Because it is just that.....awesome. Just because you read something else, doesn't mean others do as well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't expect for anyone to give us periodic updates after what happened with comex's first exploit was fixed. And stop putting smiley faces or saying "It'd be awesome if it came out soon!" in an attempt to suck up. Your subtlely isn't working.

such a cynical comment. I suggest you read the past thread, and this thread and their entirety to get yourself caught up, and see who actually posted here to update us on what is going on.

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FoxMcWeezer said:

Thank you good sir, for inspiring my sig ;)

It'd be awesome if it came out soon! :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts