What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dty1dty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
icttci.webs.com
...... it sounds as if you have corrupted your files on your iPad. ......
Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn. Yes, it could well be a file or file-system corruption problem. I’m an iPad 2 newbie but I’ve been a computer systems consultant for over 30 years, from ICL George II Mainframes to DOS to Citrix, VMware and Windows 7 J. I've contacted the DiskAid guys. Maybe they will have some suggestions.

ojisjunkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is there any kinda timeframe on when the public release of iOs 5 will be sent out? Then of course the six million dollar question, how soon do you think they can jailbreak it?
I'm stuck on 4.3.5 with my iPad 2 wifi, with no shsh blobs - therefore no downgrade path either. No chance for a jailbreak until 5 for me! :/

clementandre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same

there must be way to jailbreak 4.3.5 on an ipad 2.
its usless withoiut jailbreakin!!!!1

tuffigirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPadForums Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread. This thread provides iPad2 owners with all the information they need to get started jailbreaking their iPad2.

Can I jailbreak my iPad2?
You can only jailbreak your iPad2 if it currently has iOS Version 4.3.3 installed on it. There is no jailbreak for any other version. Sorry.

Can I upgrade or downgrade my new iPad2 to 4.3.3?
No, sorry, you are too late. You can only install version 4.3.3 of iOS on your iPad2 if you have saved SHSH Blobs for 4.3.3. Blobs are unique to your device and must be provided by Apple, and they stopped providing 4.3.3 blobs several months ago. There is no way to copy, forge, or otherwise bypass this security. If your iPad2 is new then you have no 4.3.3 blobs and no way to get them. No blobs means no downgrade / upgrade. Sorry. See our FAQ here for more information on blobs - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24323-shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-updated.html

I have version 4.3.3. How do I jailbreak?
Congratulations! You are only a few moments away from jailbreaking your device. Open Safari on your iPad2 and visit jailbreakme.com. If you need a bit more support, see our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...utorial-jailbreak-ipad2-4-3-3-jbme-3-0-a.html

Help! I don't have version 4.3.3, but I want to jailbreak!
Sorry, but there really is no option for you at the moment. No matter what any other blog or forum tells you, you CANNOT upgrade or downgrade your iPad2 to 4.3.3 without saved SHSH Blobs and you cannot jailbreak any other version of iOS on the iPad2 as things stand today. You will just have to show some patience and wait for iOS5.
It is highly unlikely that there will ever be a jailbreak for 4.3.4 or 4.3.5. These firmwares represent the end-of-line for 4.x and nobody in the jailbreaking community is the least bit interested in finding exploits for those versions. Exploiting iOS is an extremely hard task and takes a huge amount of time and effort. Furthermore, there is currently no exploit known for the iPad2 bootrom. This means all jailbreaks must be userland based, so once a JB is released, Apple will move to quickly block it. For this reason you will not see a jailbreak for a beta version of iOS released for iPad2.

The first public release of iOS5 will be the next focus of attention, but with Comex now out of the scene, you could be in for a very long wait… :(

I know all of this and thank you for your well put post, but I have a question I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere. I keep reading there will not be a jailbreak for 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 for a very long time if ever.... but what I can't find is any info on if there will ever be one for those of us who are on 4.3. I bought mine that way and missed my chance to upgrade to 4.3.3 so I stayed put. Is there any point to me staying on 4.3? Will I have a better shot at a jailbreak if I do?

I'd like to mention that I was able to downgrade my new 3GS last week using saved 4.3.3 blobs from another 3GS I had.... even though people had said that wouldn't work. It did.... and I was able to then jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. So obviously it's occurred to me if I could get my hands on someone else's saved 4.3.3 saved blobs it might work again.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know all of this and thank you for your well put post, but I have a question I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere. I keep reading there will not be a jailbreak for 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 for a very long time if ever.... but what I can't find is any info on if there will ever be one for those of us who are on 4.3. I bought mine that way and missed my chance to upgrade to 4.3.3 so I stayed put. Is there any point to me staying on 4.3? Will I have a better shot at a jailbreak if I do?

Honestly, it's anyone's guess. But - I highly doubt anyone is working on a jailbreak for any of the other iOS 4.3.x versions, given that iOS 5 is right around the corner. I should imagine "they" are focusing on that.

I'm not going to recommend anything, but if I were you, I'd just stay where I was. The newer firmware versions 4.3.1 to 4.3.5 contained minor updates (and, of course, 4.3.4 only contained the update to "fix" the "hole" in the security feature that c0mex exploited for JailbreakMe 3.0). So, you won't be missing anything staying where you are, IMHO.

However, I would guess that your odds are better that "they" will create a jailbreak for iOS 5 versus one for iOS 4.3. Since you've "missed the boat" for 4.3.3, I suggest waiting to see what happens with iOS 5 before doing anything.

It may be a long time - or it may be the day after iOS 5 (or the new iPhone) is released. We just don't know and so it's up to each person [in your type of situation] to decide what to do.

Big help ... not! Sorry. :eek:

I'd like to mention that I was able to downgrade my new 3GS last week using saved 4.3.3 blobs from another 3GS I had.... even though people had said that wouldn't work. It did.... and I was able to then jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. So obviously it's occurred to me if I could get my hands on someone else's saved 4.3.3 saved blobs it might work again.

AFAIK, you cannot use blobs from another iPad because each SHSH blob is created with the device's unique serial number. Be nice/cool if we were able to do so ... but no, not possible. Sorry.

Marilyn

tuffigirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Honestly, it's anyone's guess. But - I highly doubt anyone is working on a jailbreak for any of the other iOS 4.3.x versions, given that iOS 5 is right around the corner. I should imagine "they" are focusing on that.

I'm not going to recommend anything, but if I were you, I'd just stay where I was. The newer firmware versions 4.3.1 to 4.3.5 contained minor updates (and, of course, 4.3.4 only contained the update to "fix" the "hole" in the security feature that c0mex exploited for JailbreakMe 3.0). So, you won't be missing anything staying where you are, IMHO.

However, I would guess that your odds are better that "they" will create a jailbreak for iOS 5 versus one for iOS 4.3. Since you've "missed the boat" for 4.3.3, I suggest waiting to see what happens with iOS 5 before doing anything.

It may be a long time - or it may be the day after iOS 5 (or the new iPhone) is released. We just don't know and so it's up to each person [in your type of situation] to decide what to do.

Big help ... not! Sorry. :eek:

AFAIK, you cannot use blobs from another iPad because each SHSH blob is created with the device's unique serial number. Be nice/cool if we were able to do so ... but no, not possible. Sorry.

Marilyn

Thank you Marilyn, you pretty much said what I thought you would say but I figured I'd ask anyway. And I'm no dummy... I've been hacking cell phones for over 10 years now. I'm just frustrated that I missed the boat. It's not about the apps... developers deserve their pay and I make sure I pay for them, although sometimes I try them out first. But not being able to customize and tweak drives me mad. :))

As for the blobs I KNOW it's not supposed to work but I actually did it last week when I replaced my 3GS. I had had an older one and got a brand new one that was already on 4.3.5. I set it up, restored it from a back-up of my old 3GS, changed the hosts files in iTunes and used Tiny Umbrella. I was shocked that it actually worked... I was able to downgrade to 4.3.3. Went straight to jailbreakme.com and was done in 30 minutes. I know it was a fluke but I'm grateful for it. :)

Now I have to decide if I want to wait or not. I really do love my iPad 2 but nobody has ever accused me of being the most patient person on earth. lol Thanks again for you help.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For clarity, the situation with your 3GS was not a fluke. You can quite easily downgrade many 3GS's if they have the right bootrom, which yours undoubtedly does. Some 3GS's and anything from iPhone4 and newer cannot be circumvented, including all iPads.

tuffigirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For clarity, the situation with your 3GS was not a fluke. You can quite easily downgrade many 3GS's if they have the right bootrom, which yours undoubtedly does. Some 3GS's and anything from iPhone4 and newer cannot be circumvented, including all iPads.

Well I'm sure glad it did..... I knew I had saved all my blobs from my older one but everything I read said it wouldn't work so I was shocked when it did. And very happy.... I may be able to live with my iPad 2 not being jailbroken but NOT my iPhone. :)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dty1dty1 said:
I have an iPad 2, 3G, 4.3.3 and jailbreak 3. All was going well including installing ipa apps. I had DiskAid open while connected to the device and ran Cydia. It said something about the file system, some activity, then shut down. Now it hangs at Apple logo. If I do the 2-button reboot sequence it goes into upgrade mode showing the iTunes USB connection prompt on the screen. I do not want to upgrade to 4.3.5 and lose the jailbreak. What can I do? Hope someone can help.

Couldn't you use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery?

dty1dty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
icttci.webs.com
dty1dty1 said:
I have an iPad 2, 3G, 4.3.3 and jailbreak 3. All was going well including installing ipa apps. I had DiskAid open while connected to the device and ran Cydia. It said something about the file system, some activity, then shut down. Now it hangs at Apple logo. If I do the 2-button reboot sequence it goes into upgrade mode showing the iTunes USB connection prompt on the screen. I do not want to upgrade to 4.3.5 and lose the jailbreak. What can I do? Hope someone can help.

Couldn't you use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery?

I tried it many times. It provides the option to "Fix Recovery" and I clicked on it but it still did not work. Am I missing something? After using "Fix Recovery" I cannot use the 1-button reboot. When I use the 2-button reboot I stick on the Apple logo. So, I either have, on the iPad 2, the apple logo, the iTunes prompt or the totally blank iPad 2 screen which makes iTunes on my PC encourage me to restore (detects an iPad in recovery mode). Any more suggestions will be appreciated. I'll try anything.

kucrut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dty1dty1 said:
I tried it many times. It provides the option to "Fix Recovery" and I clicked on it but it still did not work. Am I missing something? After using "Fix Recovery" I cannot use the 1-button reboot. When I use the 2-button reboot I stick on the Apple logo. So, I either have, on the iPad 2, the apple logo, the iTunes prompt or the totally blank iPad 2 screen which makes iTunes on my PC encourage me to restore (detects an iPad in recovery mode). Any more suggestions will be appreciated. I'll try anything.
details about your problem is needed for the correct sollution

but dont worry,
-if you have your shsh blobs for 4.3.3 saved, you still can restore without the need to upgrade into 4.3.5, do it only if you dont have important data on your ipad, or you already have backup. find the guide in this forum.

-i once have the similar problem, what i do to fix it, is nothing, just wait until ipad ran out of battery, after it died, just recharge, and it start normally.

-so many tools out there to fix your ipad, find a website Edited by Moderator ~ do not advertise websites! ~, google it, you will get so many information there.

Last edited by a moderator:

dty1dty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
icttci.webs.com
dty1dty1 said:
details about your problem is needed for the correct sollution

but dont worry,
-if you have your shsh blobs for 4.3.3 saved, you still can restore without the need to upgrade into 4.3.5, do it only if you dont have important data on your ipad, or you already have backup. find the guide in this forum.

-i once have the similar problem, what i do to fix it, is nothing, just wait until ipad ran out of battery, after it died, just recharge, and it start normally.

-so many tools out there to fix your ipad, find a website Edited by Moderator ~ do not advertise websites! ~, google it, you will get so many information there.

I could not save 4.3.3 SHSH blobs as 4.3.5 was already released. I'll try draining the battery - sounds interesting. I will also search as you suggested - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts