What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - re; music

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an iPad2 and need to know if it will display sheet music. My local store had no idea! I prepare music with 'ABC Notation' and sometimes with 'Finale' on my pc. They print out directly, or I can pdf them and mail them to friends.
Can my pc send them straight to an iPad?
Does anyone do it, is it easy to read?
Is it readable in daylight?
Thanks
Graham OsP

Reaction score
Old string Plucker said:
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an iPad2 and need to know if it will display sheet music. My local store had no idea! I prepare music with 'ABC Notation' and sometimes with 'Finale' on my pc. They print out directly, or I can pdf them and mail them to friends.
Can my pc send them straight to an iPad?
Does anyone do it, is it easy to read?
Is it readable in daylight?
Thanks
Graham OsP

It will work.

Ideally you will convert your notes to PDF, as that is the easiest format to work with on the iPad.

Take a look at ForScore, it is the best sheet viewer and has a lot of other functions. Personally do I use Medley for playing notes, it is basic, but suits my needs. ForScore is more advanced, if you play rhythmical, you can even set a speed and it will turn the page automatically.

However, you could also convert notes to Midi and than use SymphonyPro to display them. I enjoy using SP, as it displays the midi file as notes, but also plays back the song, in case I get stuck and want to hear how it should sound, When using the iPad as a sheet viewer, that is a really nice feature.

Anyhow, ForScore is a must. If that leaves any wishes open, or you want to work with midi's, then SymphonyPro is the next stop.

Regarding daylight, I just use it indoors, if that is what you mean by daylight, then there is no problem with readability, just increase the brightness to 50%+. But if you intend to use it for playing open air, will the sun pose a slight issue.

One thing, which I don't like is that it only plays 1 page at a time, with printed notes, I place three pages next to each other, so when using the iPad, more page turns are needed. But in the end, I am lazy and just end up learning page for page :)

Overall does the iPad work really well as a sheet viewer. Especially since you always have all notes with you. The one thing, which may or may not be an issue is the screen size. The iPad display is smaller then an A4 page. I used a Kindle DX before getting the iPad as a sheet viewer (both have the same screen size) and the decrease in size can be tiring for the eyes. YMMV

Last edited:

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can PDF the output? So it'll display on an ipad with no problem. Just play around with the print/page settings to optimise it for the ipad screen size but it'll display fine!

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
That's excellent, just what I needed to know. Am I right in assuming that as one can load apps like symphony, I could also load my ABC Notation Player which plays the 'dots', adjusts tempo to suit, allows 'dot' editing and adding chords and lyrics when wanted. If I can down load ABC, then my world is perfect.
Graham.

Reaction score
Old string Plucker said:
Hi Folks,
That's excellent, just what I needed to know. Am I right in assuming that as one can load apps like symphony, I could also load my ABC Notation Player which plays the 'dots', adjusts tempo to suit, allows 'dot' editing and adding chords and lyrics when wanted. If I can down load ABC, then my world is perfect.
Graham.

You should realize that the iPad runs a different operating system then Windows/Mac, so none of your programs will work on the iPad, you have to find apps, which do the equivalent of your programs. But from the description will SymphonyPro do what you are currently using abc notation player for.

SymphonyPro let's you compose sheet music, add lyrics and play the composed music. You can further adjust the playback speed.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Or ask me :D

But yes, that app is one of it's kind for composing on the iPad.

Was I butting in where it wasn't required.......I do sometimes have that particular habit!

The Archangel

Reaction score
Not at all. The link to that website is very useful for getting a quick overview. Not that there are any alternatives, in case SP is missing certain feathered, but it's still good to know upfront, whether the app does suit the specific needs.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi All,
This is really good for an old brain dead like me. I looked at the symph site and saw that it imports abc + others, but does not export abc. Still it's a possible way forward. When I down loaded abc from the French site which is still developing it, I have a vague recollection that there was an option to download for pc or mac. Do you think the mac version would work on the pad?

Reaction score
Old string Plucker said:
Hi All,
This is really good for an old brain dead like me. I looked at the symph site and saw that it imports abc + others, but does not export abc. Still it's a possible way forward. When I down loaded abc from the French site which is still developing it, I have a vague recollection that there was an option to download for pc or mac. Do you think the mac version would work on the pad?

You can only install apps from the AppStore. There is nil chance of getting abc player to install on the iPad, Mac OS and windows are completely different operating systems from iOS, which runs on the iPad. If that is a requirement, than a windows tablet is a must, or you use an app to remote control your computer, to control abc player which is running on your computer, though this last solution is not a good one.

Most reactions

Latest posts