What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name a Pet Peeve!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tinman said:
Try being behind them on a motorcycle. Dang!

Worse, the smokers who can't stand to have the smoke in their own car so leave their arm out letting the smoke waft to whomever happens to be nearby. Worse yet, those who flick the lit cigarette butt out the window. Grrrrrr!

Michael

You know it! YET...these people don't seem to realize just how much cigarette smoke and superfine tar particles sticks to their clothing, skin and hair (no matter how much they shower) and then rubs off on everything in the car, in their house, workplace, etc. The only difference is they're keeping the ash and the VISIBLE smoke outside.

Smoking is just....gross. Ewwww.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

MsAmandaLove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have many pet peeves...
One being when people drive slowly as you're trying to cross the street on foot.
Or when strangers cut you off while inline waiting for something.
Or when my brother only comes for a visit when he needs something.
Or when family treats you like crap.
Or when people say they will call you back and never do. (that bugs me soo freaking much!)

Last edited:

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While watching tv the adds are twice as loud as the show.
You race to turn down the blaring volume during the adds ,then forget and find yourself straining to hear when the show starts back again.t
Then race to turn up again
I'm in Australia
Does this happen in other countries?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You race to turn down the blaring volume during the adds ,then forget and find yourself straining to hear when the show starts back again.t
I'm in Australia
Yep. The presumption is that you will be up moving around during the ads, hence if the volume is a little higher you can still hear the ads.

Some auto-commercial skip products used that volume increase to help identify the commercial breaks.

Michael

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iVan said:
I've been wanting an electric car since 1973 and it still can't get one ...

I have an electric car!

It runs on two AA batteries and drives my cats bonkers!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cars that are in front of me and I can't breathe due to their exhaust! When I was pregnant, that literally made me sick.

Why do cars do that? They need a Fix It ticket.:mad:

my husband hates this very much. and these cars are so damn slow. what my husband do is cut in front . put our car in the highest gear possible. and step little on the gas. give them a taste of their own medicine . lol :D

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
Seriously? It's pork belly. Always has been.

Salt and/or smoke cured. Not all that complicated. Not all that healthy either. :(

Michael

I can't help thinking you're wrong... ;) See, British bacon actually looks like meat... American bacon looks (and tastes) like some scrapings from a shoe. Horrible stuff.

And I'll add more seeing as it's moved to cars;

Electric cars - an environmental white elephant which are impractical for anyone not living in a large town/city (who should be using public transport anyhow) and just shift the problem of pollution elsewhere.

4x4/big pick up/SUVs - (I imagine this will get up some backs around here!). They're Dumb. Simple as that really. No-body really needs to drive one unless they genuinely need it for their business (I.e. They're a game keeper/warden, builder, the US bloody military). Arguments 'for' them are equally stupid - "they're safer", well, it depends on the vehicle, but the size does not make them safer, anyhow, just how dangerous IS the 2 mile drive from your house to your little darlings primary school? Many elephants? River crossings? Rebel ambushes? No? And I'm sure your SUV isn't safer for those who aren't so lazy and WALK.

"I need it for camping" - you take too much crap camping, do you build yourself a 5 bedroom log cabin each weekend or something? You're meant to hike, not drive right to were you're staying - that's called a 'Hotel'. I can fit EVERYTHING (i.e. Two rucksacks) two people need for a few days out (if not resupping on route) in my little two seater smart roadster. If you can get food while you're out that's two people indefinitely.

Pick-ups - sorry, but a uniquely North American thing. The rest of the First World appears to be able to cope without privately owning a heavy goods vehicle, Why not just buy a Ford Focus and RENT a truck when you need it? Instead of driving around a small house 95% of the time for no reason? A good one was "to tow my boat". Now, unless you were a winner on the classic quiz Bullseye (only the Brits will probably get that.. ) and got lumbered with a boat when you live in Birmingham, most people who do the boat thing just live by the sea/lakes.

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in Australia

Oh hell yes, Julie! I am right there with you, woman. I so hate that.

Reaction score

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been wanting an electric car since 1973 and I still can't get one ...
Your wait is over! The Nissan Leaf is available in Canada! They call is "affordable". Since when is a base MSRP of nearly $40,000 affordable?

Nissan Canada

And you can even read the website in English and in French!

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been wanting an electric car since 1973 and I still can't get one ...
Your wait is over! The Nissan Leaf is available in Canada! They call is "affordable". Since when is a base MSRP of nearly $40,000 affordable?

Nissan Canada

And you can even read the website in English and in French!

Will be available. So will the Mitsubishi MiEv, the Ford Focus electric and the Chevy Volt. But "available" at 500 units per country is exaggerating quite a bit because all of those cars were promised before delivery. We'll have to wait another two or three years to get production numbers out.

EVs have fewer parts than ICEs. Someday they'll cost less, for now they're entitled to milk us...

@Prasius. That comment about EVs just displacing energy forms and range anxiety come straight from the oil lobby's defense book. I'd suggest you diversify your sources before posting such dribble. Try EVcast: The Podcast on Electric Cars and Other Electric Vehicles it's a podcast with about 400 hours of shows that brings information on all sides of EVs including competitive energy formats.

In Quebec we have mostly clean Hydro electric production, 2% Nuclear, 4% alternative such as wind power plus we use no coal, no gas and no fuel electric production. It's the perfect place for EVs.

The average EVs that are tested have a range of 150km. It's a fact that people that work drive less than 50km a day. Plenty of time to recharge. If you have to go for a long drive, just rent a guzzler, it'll get you there.
An automotive LiOn battery can also be recharged to roughly 80% of its capacity in around 20 minutes, giving about 100km of range. Just think as you would driving your car as you would using your iPad's battery management. They're the same thing. As soon as it's not used, you "plug in". Of course if you don't pay attention you'll be stuck! The same way those idiots run out of gas on the highway!

I'm going to stop right here because it's not the place to discuss this. I've amassed huge amounts of data on the subject and I've driven EVs. They are totally worthy as commuting tools. I want one from a long way back and the Oil lobby doesn't want me to have one. They're just pretending to get them out to a select few and they'll drag their feet as long as they can to get them out to the masses. Period.

Most reactions