What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm new to apple and ipad, three months. These forums are some of the best behaved I've read. I'm an old Linux user from as far back as minux days. As much as I despise proprietary lock downs, this ipad has been a big benefit for my autistic foster son.

I haven't even broken it out of jail, yet. I don't think I want to, either. He needs a robust and consistent ipad. So, despite my frustrations, staying inside the proprietary walled garden just might be the best for his users.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB
Well, one thing is for certain... You obviously have a lot of time and love for your foster-son.
iOS unlike Android devices can be used straight out of the box. Android is a great platform allowing you to be as creative as you wish.
However, sometimes in order to get the best it can be more beneficial to keep things as simple and straightforward as possible.

P.S. I came across this site only a few minutes ago ~ http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/gudmundsen/2013/02/24/ipad-apps-special-needs/1928443/

Last edited:
OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beards, I'll probably ask in the off-topic forum so others can jump in if they want to.

Lowtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for being polite and helpful and not making me feel small and stupid. Where is this coming from? Well, a few weeks ago I decided that I wanted a smaller tablet for travel. An iPad Mini felt redundant on top of my iPhone5 and iPad3 so I got a Nexus 7. After all, I've heard great things about them. I joined a N7 forum, and posted questions, seeking help and advice. Android is completely foreign to me (the only smart phone I've ever had has been an iPhone) and I was struggling. I got a lot of responses about hardware, and what makes Android better than iOS, but no real usable advice. Yesterday I gave up, reset the N7 to factory defaults, and put it in its box. Its currently listed on Craigslist, and I'm sure I'll take a hit on it when I sell it. I posted one final time on the N7 board, to say thanks for the help but I was moving back to Apple. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but a couple of them managed to get one last dig in. "Those who can, buy Android. Those who can't, buy Apple."

I don't understand the whole, "I like this device so I'm better than you" mentality. Its really bad in the Kindle forum that I read (I have a Fire HD and and ereader). Of the three tablet forums I read, the people here are much more polite, civil, and kind than the other two. So, thank you to everyone here for not making me feel like I'm an idiot or something. I tell my Android friends that one of the HUGE reasons I stay with Apple is the customer support I get with my iDevices. It would appear that that same level of helpfulness carries over into the Apple communities, as well.

I had the same experience in the Android forums when I owned an HTC Eris phone. Dismissive and sometimes rude responses - if any. I have been monitoring (lurking?) this forum lately, waiting for my new Mini to join my iPad 3. I am impressed by the level of helpful, non-snark replies. I like it here! :)

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This post makes me loathe Android worse than i already do. Lol The OS is crap, IMO. It doesn't just work, unlike iOS.

That's a matter of taste. I love both Android and iOS.
However, I find there are areas of iOS that annoy me like not being able to transfer a data file or photo via Bluetooth or NFC between iOS or to an iOS.
Android devices have no such issue.
I also don't like not having access to folders unless I jailbreak. With Android once you copy a file to a folder that file is shared by any other App that supports the file type.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Beards said:
That's a matter of taste. I love both Android and iOS.
However, I find there are areas of iOS that annoy me like not being able to transfer a data file or photo via Bluetooth or NFC between iOS or to an iOS.
Android devices have no such issue.
I also don't like not having access to folders unless I jailbreak. With Android once you copy a file to a folder that file is shared by any other App that supports the file type.

I unfortunately have an Android phone, because i got it for free. I don't even try to do anything but make calls with it, because every app crashes on start up. The phone even crashes arbitrarily. It's about 6 months old.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I unfortunately have an Android phone, because i got it for free. I don't even try to do anything but make calls with it, because every app crashes on start up. The phone even crashes arbitrarily. It's about 6 months old.

Lol. One free Android phone doesn't represent every Android device. You got a dud. If it sucks that bad, I would've taken it back on Day Two, if I hadn't made it back to the store by Day One.

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 1 for more than a year, after switching from iPhone 4S. The Note works great, so much so that I've yet found justification to upgrade my phone, though the Note 2 is very tempting.

I've got a Samung Galaxy 7", too. Love that I can use it with SD cards, and I've not struggled with it at all.

I now have two Kindle Fire HDs, after upgrading from a Kindle Fire original. All three have done what I've needed without probs.

My Android experience has been good, but again it varies with device and operator.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Lol. One free Android phone doesn't represent every Android device. You got a dud. If it sucks that bad, I would've taken it back on Day Two, if I hadn't made it back to the store by Day One.

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 1 for more than a year, after switching from iPhone 4S. The Note works great, so much so that I've yet found justification to upgrade my phone, though the Note 2 is very tempting.

I've got a Samung Galaxy 7", too. Love that I can use it with SD cards, and I've not struggled with it at all.

I now have two Kindle Fire HDs, after upgrading from a Kindle Fire original. All three have done what I've needed without probs.

My Android experience has been good, but again it varies with device and operator.

We have two of the same phone, both behave the same. I once had an Android tablet, said i'd never give it to my worst enemy.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sounds like my experience with Windows phones. Never tried Android but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

As far as the forum is concerned, if anyone can be bothered to find us, I see no problem with them asking any question. We are nothing to do with Apple. We are a user group who happen to use Apple equipment. I've asked questions and made comments on the Windows version of iTunes, and if I ever buy an Android tablet, I would certainly ask questions here before heading in any other direction.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well I feel for you... But can't report the same.
I have had numerous Android phones including Galaxy S, S2, S3, Note & Note2.
I'm currently using an S3 and absolutely love it.
Everything works fine and fluid, no issues whatsoever.

However I do understand if a device gives you issues you soon learn to loath it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have two of the same phone, both behave the same. I once had an Android tablet, said i'd never give it to my worst enemy.

You kept two crap phones? Why would you do that given your Android tab experience?

Not to make light of your struggle, but there's such a thing as return and exchange. There have been people who've been unhappy with iDevices as well, and that's always been my thinking: If something is clearly failing you or it just doesn't fit you, return it. Don't buy two of them, lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey y'all--I am moving this thread to the Off-topic area now.

BTW...I owned a droid phone prior to having an iPhone and was very happy with what it did for me. I didn't experience the frequent crashes as what was earlier posted by others, but can understand how frustrating that could be!

Most reactions

Latest posts