What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for being polite and helpful and not making me feel small and stupid. Where is this coming from? Well, a few weeks ago I decided that I wanted a smaller tablet for travel. An iPad Mini felt redundant on top of my iPhone5 and iPad3 so I got a Nexus 7. After all, I've heard great things about them. I joined a N7 forum, and posted questions, seeking help and advice. Android is completely foreign to me (the only smart phone I've ever had has been an iPhone) and I was struggling. I got a lot of responses about hardware, and what makes Android better than iOS, but no real usable advice. Yesterday I gave up, reset the N7 to factory defaults, and put it in its box. Its currently listed on Craigslist, and I'm sure I'll take a hit on it when I sell it. I posted one final time on the N7 board, to say thanks for the help but I was moving back to Apple. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but a couple of them managed to get one last dig in. "Those who can, buy Android. Those who can't, buy Apple."

I don't understand the whole, "I like this device so I'm better than you" mentality. Its really bad in the Kindle forum that I read (I have a Fire HD and and ereader). Of the three tablet forums I read, the people here are much more polite, civil, and kind than the other two. So, thank you to everyone here for not making me feel like I'm an idiot or something. I tell my Android friends that one of the HUGE reasons I stay with Apple is the customer support I get with my iDevices. It would appear that that same level of helpfulness carries over into the Apple communities, as well.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a very nice post - thanks for making it.

I may be a bit prejudiced :))), but I really do find this forum to be helpful and friendly. We got good peeps here! :D

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with you on this mdholm...I had a similar experience on various droid forums... felt the same way about this forum being so friendly and helpful, also! :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading your post I'm glad I never joined one of the other communitys. I'm owner of an Android smartphone, and I wouldn't change it for anything else. I have written this several times in iPF, and I know I'm not the only one with an Android here. I've never read hostile comments about it.
I thought of joining the Kindle community. Right now I've decided not to do so.
I'm very happy to have joined iPF. This is my first experience with an online-community, and I agree that the members as well as the moderators here are friendly and helpful. :)

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a member of a few Android Forums and with shame it pains me to say I do agree, there is an element of hostility from a small band of Android members.
Luckily it is stamped upon when found.
Without wishing to brand any specific group of Android users it does however appear to be the 'younger' members who well let's just say can be less helpful.
Being 60yrs at age I tend to keep well clear of being drawn into any of their posts as it only leads to negativity.

I did try to find your Username on a couple of these Forums but a search of your name on these sites did not register any results.

All I can say is please do not think all Android users act in this way. I know of many good members who will bend over backwards to help/assist any other member regardless as to who they are or what other device they use/own.

Such a shame you are parting with your Nexus 7. I have had two of them (one gone to my Granddaughter and the other to my Son-in-Law) and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of usage.

Best of luck in the sale.
Beards

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On behalf of our team I wish to thank you for your comments. Since the beginning of this forum 3 years ago we have made every effort to provide support not only to users in USA but around the world. We are fortunate not only to have a team of 18 highly experienced moderators but also a group of dedicated users whom call this place home. If you require any assistance please just ask or PM me personally and we will make it happen.

Colin , Australia
Administrator
Ipadforums
Iphoneforums
Appleforums.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for that very nice post. It's great to hear such a well thought out appreciation of our forum. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I know the answer I'd be glad to help.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Beards notes, moderators decide what type of forum they want to run, and can stamp out hate posts (or not). If I'm on a forum and report hate posts and mods leave them up, then I know what they consider acceptable. But I figure that mods can't watch every thread closely, so help is needed from members.

This forum is great because users are generally open minded. Every once in a while you'll see fanboys rail against Android, but that's usually because they've been previously burned and assume that all Android devices are the same.

In reality, the Android experience can vary a lot because there are so many device makers, and carrier bloat and slowness on top of it. Android is generally more DYI, which can be good or bad, and depend on tech ability as well as willingness to mess around. But with Amazon in the Android mix, they've shown that a walled garden can produce a more consistent user experience as well.

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beards, one of the members of the other board asked me what I don't like about the N7 and is now working on helping me understand it. He's been very helpful. We'll see how things go.

I did have high hopes for the Nexus. I've heard and read very good things about it and I really like the feel of it when I hold it. It's less wide than the Mini, which doesn't fit comfortably in my hand.

Regarding the Kindle forum...well, if you join that one, be careful.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol. I've visited the Kindle forum on occasion and know what you mean. I figure that demographic is generally less technical, and is very protective of Kindle because Amazon has created beloved devices that are easy for them to access.

In general, people are still very tribal, and we're slow to evolve.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Beards, one of the members of the other board asked me what I don't like about the N7 and is now working on helping me understand it. He's been very helpful. We'll see how things go.

I did have high hopes for the Nexus. I've heard and read very good things about it and I really like the feel of it when I hold it. It's less wide than the Mini, which doesn't fit comfortably in my hand.

Well I'm pleased you found someone to give you some guidance with the N7. It is well worth the effort in the end.

Although this is an iPad forum, if you find your helper can not provide you with any further information regarding the N7 please do not hesitate in contacting me where I would be happy to pick up where he/she leaves you off.

OP
M

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm pleased you found someone to give you some guidance with the N7. It is well worth the effort in the end.

Although this is an iPad forum, if you find your helper can not provide you with any further information regarding the N7 please do not hesitate in contacting me where I would be happy to pick up where he/she leaves you off.

Thanks! Do you want me to ask here or keep it off the forums?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am open for you to place the question in our off topic forum located here http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/

In most cases you will find users will help you the most important thing is it does not go off the rails. We monitor all threads 7/24 So just go ahead and create a thread. Cheers Colin

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! Do you want me to ask here or keep it off the forums?
you can either send me a P.M., let me know the forum you use (I may already be a member of said site) or do as Col has kindly allowed. Just make sure you let me know though which way you wish to do it, just in case I miss your request.

I am open for you to place the question in our off topic forum located here Off-Topic

In most cases you will find users will help you the most important thing is it does not go off the rails. We monitor all threads 7/24 So just go ahead and create a thread. Cheers Colin

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia
Good call Col.

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to apple and ipad, three months. These forums are some of the best behaved I've read. I'm an old Linux user from as far back as minux days. As much as I despise proprietary lock downs, this ipad has been a big benefit for my autistic foster son.

I haven't even broken it out of jail, yet. I don't think I want to, either. He needs a robust and consistent ipad. So, despite my frustrations, staying inside the proprietary walled garden just might be the best for his users.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

Most reactions

Latest posts