What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume that if I was using Keynote, the facility would exist to transfer files. I don't have it, so I don't know, but when I send something from Pages, I simply choose the filetype and send it by email.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

I usually do PowerPoints on my Windows laptop from scratch, and have sent them and opened them on Keynote on iPad, which generally works, but sometimes loses formating. That might just be because I haven't spent enough time messing with them. I've yet to see whether that will work across Android-iOS.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do confess file transfer outside of using email has given me cause for concern with iOS.....
Using Android phones and Bluetooth it is straight forward and simple, avoiding the need for any other App or time consuming affairs.

I will have to look into this further and the recommendations kindly provided. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you talking about? When i first got the phone, i intended to use it more than it's apparently capable of, so it gets used as a phone, hardly anything more except gps which it fortunately does well. What's so difficult to comprehend here, really?

I can't imagine voluntarily settling for that kind of compromised, cruddy inconvenience and willingly paying for data for two years for the experience when there was the option to return/exchange, and then meanwhile railing about an OS, then saying, meh, it doesn't matter so much. But that's a choice you're entitled to make, of course.

From my perspective, individual consumers get what they're willing to put up with.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do confess file transfer outside of using email has given me cause for concern with iOS.....
Using Android phones and Bluetooth it is straight forward and simple, avoiding the need for any other App or time consuming affairs.

I will have to look into this further and the recommendations kindly provided. :)

Dropbox and Skydrive are other possibilities, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. But yes, it's not as straightforward as the BT functionality that you've grown accustomed to.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I can't imagine voluntarily settling for that kind of compromised, cruddy inconvenience and willingly paying for data for two years for the experience when there was the option to return/exchange, and then meanwhile railing about an OS, then saying, meh, it doesn't matter so much. But that's a choice you're entitled to make, of course.

From my perspective, individual consumers get what they're willing to put up with.

I'm just stating my opinion, that the os sucks, but it doesn't matter too much because it's ok for what it is. I have OSX and iOS to do things right. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting...... Using your iPhone I would genuinely like to hear how you achieve the following:-
You are in a meeting and your colleague wishes for you to pass him a file or a presentation, how do you complete the act?

I don't run into this, because I'm more or less retired, but I do have the means, due to other needs (and plain old curiosity). I tend to use Box.com or DropBox a lot, so I'd just send them a share link from one of those. If it's a one-time file, probably DropBox. If I want collaboration, or long term availability, Box.com, because it's easier to share folders and set privileges.

Another words, I wouldn't really depend on my phone's native capability, other than it's ability to connect to a multitude of online services that tend to be platform agnostic.

Even if I had Bluetooth file transfer capability, it would be my last desperate choice. Bluetooth is quite slow and range limited. Fine for small files, but if you had a really big file to transfer, do you really want to have to worry about staying in range until the file finishes transferring? That's not to say I dislike the idea of having Bluetooth file transfer. There are times when it's all you've got. I'm just not missing it as much as I would most other tech. At least not in your scenario.

There is also an app called Bump, which works on both Android and iPhone for sharing files. I don't have it though, since, as I said, I don't really need to do anything that specific.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't run into this, because I'm more or less retired, but I do have the means, due to other needs (and plain old curiosity). I tend to use Box.com or DropBox a lot, so I'd just send them a share link from one of those. If it's a one-time file, probably DropBox. If I want collaboration, or long term availability, Box.com, because it's easier to share folders and set privileges.

Another words, I wouldn't really depend on my phone's native capability, other than it's ability to connect to a multitude of online services that tend to be platform agnostic.

Even if I had Bluetooth file transfer capability, it would be my last desperate choice. Bluetooth is quite slow and range limited. Fine for small files, but if you had a really big file to transfer, do you really want to have to worry about staying in range until the file finishes transferring? That's not to say I dislike the idea of having Bluetooth file transfer. There are times when it's all you've got. I'm just not missing it as much as I would most other tech. At least not in your scenario.

There is also an app called Bump, which works on both Android and iPhone for sharing files. I don't have it though, since, as I said, I don't really need to do anything that specific.
Thanks... Yes, it looks like email is the only quick option for iOS to Android and back.
Bump would require the other device to have the App installed and I would not expect any of my colleagues to do that.
For occasions when we can not link directly between phones/tablets we use Dropbox which yes was one of the recommendations.

However, file transfer sometimes becomes annoying between ourselves (Surgeon's), especially if we can not obtain any connection (wifi or cellular), it is here where the Android users shine using NFC or Bluetooth.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks... Yes, it looks like email is the only quick option for iOS to Android and back.
Bump would require the other device to have the App installed and I would not expect any of my colleagues to do that.
For occasions when we can not link directly between phones/tablets we use Dropbox which yes was one of the recommendations.

However, file transfer sometimes becomes annoying between ourselves (Surgeon's), especially if we can not obtain any connection (wifi or cellular), it is here where the Android users shine using NFC or Bluetooth.

SMS (MMS) too. It can be used to send small files, or just the links. Same wi-fi or cellular limits, of course.

Most reactions