What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Managing Apps Between Two iPads

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...I have a 32gb WIFI and just received my new 32gb 3G yesterday. I plugged the new iPad in and iTunes launched and the apps from my WIFI were installed on my 3G as i have heard would happen.

What I need to do is have two different profiles for the two iPads....one for my wife and one for me. I am not interested in having her apps on my 3G and she won't want my apps on her WIFI. How do you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Sunking

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get 2 accounts which would cause you to pay twice for apps you both use.or

manage In iTunes,uncheck ones you don't want synced.or

Sync all apps and wiggle delete the ones you don't want on each device

OP
sunking

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't thinking creatively enough...I certainly don't want to pay for the apps that we are both going to use twice.

Thanks again!

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need two accounts, but even if you did, you still would not need to buy everything twice! As long as both accounts were authorized on the computer you sync to, both ipads can have access to anything bought on either account. My son, daughter, and I all have our own accounts but share the apps we buy, by authorizing all three accounts on the computers we sync with. Manually syncing will do what you want though.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How exactly do you do this?mine usually asks to delete everything on the device and replace it with the other user content. How do you toggle between accounts?will it keep libraries separate?

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need two accounts, but even if you did, you still would not need to buy everything twice! As long as both accounts were authorized on the computer you sync to, both ipads can have access to anything bought on either account. My son, daughter, and I all have our own accounts but share the apps we buy, by authorizing all three accounts on the computers we sync with. Manually syncing will do what you want though.

That's interesting, I didn't think it was possible to have more than one account authorized per iTunes installation. Sounds fun, I'm going to have to try it.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can have 5 authorized computers, if I'm not mistaken. On itunes click on store/authorize computer on the 2nd computer and so on. I think that's how it's suppose to work, although I don't really use this feature much, since my wife wants everything I have anyway.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm....I have 2 iPads ordered. but we both have separate computers. Would it be best to just set up both iPads on 1 computer (mine) so I can put identical apps on both?

However my wife prefers she manages her own devices on her computer....

Last edited:

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you can have 5 authorized computers, if I'm not mistaken. On itunes click on store/authorize computer on the 2nd computer and so on. I think that's how it's suppose to work, although I don't really use this feature much, since my wife wants everything I have anyway.

That explains how to use a device on more than one pc,but how do you toggle between ipads on one pc?does it keep libraries separate?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hmm....I have 2 iPads ordered. but we both have separate computers. Would it be best to just set up both iPads on 1 computer (mine) so I can put identical apps on both?

no set them up on seperate computers.
you can still download the apps on both computer without paying agian and you can also download the apps on both iPads without paying twice.

right on the iPad itself you can always sign out of your itunes account and sign into another itunes acound and then download apps that have already been purchase with that account for free.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

no set them up on seperate computers.
you can still download the apps on both computer without paying agian and you can also download the apps on both iPads without paying twice.

right on the iPad itself you can always sign out of your itunes account and sign into another itunes acound and then download apps that have already been purchase with that account for free.

Ill have to look into this. Currently we both have separate iTunes accounts, so I thought if you flip accounts, it would wipe whatever is on the iPad with the other acct settings\files?

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's how we do it. We all sync to our own computer, but have all three accounts authorized on each. That way we share what we purchase but still each handle our own syncing. I do however, sync two iPhones on my computer and each of them syncs only what I want on them, by manually syncing. They dont keep separate libraries, but you can tell it what you want to sync on each. I'm sure it would be the same wih two ipads on one computer.

We're also on dialup so getting anything over 20 Meg is a pain, and painfully slow! So we don't download to each computer. We download apps to one computer and then just copy the files to the other computers using a thumb drive, when needed.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's how we do it. We all sync to our own computer, but have all three accounts authorized on each. That way we share what we purchase but still each handle our own syncing. I do however, sync two iPhones on my computer and each of them syncs only what I want on them, by manually syncing. They dont keep separate libraries, but you can tell it what you want to sync on each. I'm sure it would be the same wih two ipads on one computer.

We're also on dialup so getting anything over 20 Meg is a pain, and painfully slow! So we don't download to each computer. We download apps to one computer and then just copy the files to the other computers using a thumb drive, when needed.

Do you have to switch and log into each account on the 1 computer to get apps?

Say:

5 apps under acct A
5 Apps under acct B

and you want all 10 apps on your iPad. Do you have to log into each acct separately on the computer to get access and install? Or does it just see it as 1 shared repository for applications\Music?

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So you actually have three separate iTunes accounts? Meaning accounts that are tied to three different credit cards? Or is it one iTunes account authorized on three computers?

Because technically Apple would not want you to be able to use apps on one account that were purchased with another account, which is what it sounds like you are saying you are doing.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To bring this up again since I have a 32GB wifi coming tomorrow for my husband. No reason we can't use the same account with one CC but on 2 computers. I believe when I upgraded his iTunes I set it for sharing but want to be sure. I know he'll want some of my apps but certainly not all and will want to add some of his that I won't want. Right now I manually sync my Ipad, Touch, Classic Ipod and Nano (different library) on my computer.

This is a BD present so I haven't been able to ask him his preferences. I'm assuming when we plug in the new Ipad in his computer/iTunes that it will go immediately to my account and we can choose the apps. I forget the sequence of things when I added mine. But--i had already bought/added some Ipad apps before it came so it was ready. Anyone having done the 2 computers, 1 account that can explain what happens.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts