What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making an official complaint to Apple?

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after owning my iPad 2 for around 6-8weeks the microphone stopped working on it. I called apple and they booked me a genius appointment at the apple store in Buchanan street Glasgow which is around 1hour away from me.

I was a bit sceptical about them fixing it but after taking a day off work to go through I finally got there to be told it can't be fixed and they would have to order a new one for me. They didn't have any 32G black ones in store so I was told to phone apple online and they would send me one next day delivery.

I called them while in store to be told that I would have to wait 7 working days and would have to send my old one back in the meantime. So after a complete load of rubbish I ended up telling the staff to order me a new one in store and I'd be through to pick it up when it was here.

They said it would be here before the weekend and still no phone call.

To say the least I'm very annoyed at the lack of communication from apple to their stores and how un-helpful the staff were. Now I'm gonna have to take another day off work and go through and collect the new iPad.

So does anyone know the official way to make a complaint about certain staff members and a store too.

Rant over sorry:)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry for your troubles! How frustrating.

I can not see that happening here at our local Apple Stores. They are so accommodating and really roll out the red carpet.

IF that had happened to me ~ I would right away asked to see a store manager and explained that I am an hour away and quite disappointing...

I would def start with the store manager of that Apple store. I bet he makes it right. Or at least better.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think DontUnderstandMyIpad bought his iPad from this store; he's a very regular contributor and lives nearby. I'm sure he'll be able to advise. Plus - when you speak to the Apple Store, it doesn't hurt to say that you're posting your experiences on the biggest iPad website in the world.....I'm quite serious, here, this has worked well for other members. Don't be overly aggressive or threatening, it goes without saying, but dropping a gentle hint can work wonders.

We have many Scottish members, too, so - if all else fails - we'll all come down to Buchanan Street and mount a protest outside the store.

Tim
currently in Dumfries

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Under normal circumstances I think you would be absolutely justified. However, these are not normal circumstances. Apple is still under pressure by not having enough product to meet demand. It is getting better, but no where near normal. You can make the argument that that is Apple's fault as well, but that does not change the fact that it is very difficult for them to have stock on hand to sell, let alone replacement stock.

Some employees don't get it that it better to tell a customer accurate information about wait times, but that is another point altogether.

I also find it difficult to understand why you would have to take a day off of work. Do you have to work 7 days a week, or is your Apple store not open 7days a week? Or do you just not want to take your day off and waist it on a trip to Apple.

I understand that many people expect retail stores to do the impossible, but balancing your expectations with the reality of what is going on will smooth out a lot of your frustration from the beginning.

Tarah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a huge apple fan. With that said I have had a problem with my iPhone 4 camera. They need to replace it and they sent me a box and told me to send them my phone and they will send me a new one in 7 working days. 7 days! I use my phone for work and still have not found an appropriate time to send it in for a replacement. It is frustrating. Especially since I live on an island with no Apple store. This must just be their policy.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's also my local store and I've had nothing but great experiences. Sorry you are having problems. Perhaps just another phonecall to explain your frustration woukd suffice?

flowergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have found apples tech support for the ipad 2 to be very lacking. I have also experienced the run around from the store staff and the online staff. I have found that the store staff information to be incorrect which is very frustrating.

I bought an iPad 1 in Aug '10, I walked into an apple store in the middle of the day with excitement of getting a new toy, after buying the iPad my impression was that it must have been a bad day for the staff. I bought another one for a friend and because I paid cash I was treated like a thief. Was told I could not return it once I walked out the door. Another bad day I guess.

Flash foreword to 2011, I couldn't wait to get the new iPad 2, and what a disaster that was.... After a few weeks I ended up ordering online. Another bad day for the staff. I recieved the iPad 2 but after 9 days I needed to contact support for help with what ended up being an issue with the app store, the lack of technical knowledge was I thought odd. I'm a PC user and had more knowledge then the first tech who helped me.

Anyway thanks black9 you're not alone, I've been wanting to vent too...

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have found apples tech support for the ipad 2 to be very lacking. I have also experienced the run around from the store staff and the online staff. I have found that the store staff information to be incorrect which is very frustrating.

I bought an iPad 1 in Aug '10, I walked into an apple store in the middle of the day with excitement of getting a new toy, after buying the iPad my impression was that it must have been a bad day for the staff. I bought another one for a friend and because I paid cash I was treated like a thief. Was told I could not return it once I walked out the door. Another bad day I guess.

I cannot imagine! And you are in Cali ~

So you paid cash for one and they told you that you could never return it once you walked out the door, because you paid cash for it?

flowergirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*I cannot imagine! *And you are in Cali ~*

** So you paid cash for one and they told you that you could never return it once you walked out the door, because you paid cash for it?

Yep, it was at the - north country store in San Diego - it was the strangest thing, a few months after I bought my iPad. I walk in about 11:00am asked to buy an iPad(1) 32Gb WiFi. When I went up to the counter in back to pay, I guy was acting sorta ... Well ... my impression was I bothering him, no hi how ya doing, he rung the sale, when I gave him the cash he said "that there was no refunds for cash items" I was a bit surprised at his tone, especially since I didn't say a word to him other than hi. I said that, that was fine, it was a present. He then told me that it couldn't be returned (im thinking he is now referring to my friend the gift recipient can't return it) that the "minute I walked out the door I couldnt return it". I was very surprised by this statement, it was a bit extreme ... now I'm mature enough to know that apple had a better policy than; The minute a cash paying customer leaves the store they can't return it.*
If I was to guess I would say that what he should have said is that I can only exchange the item.. Maybe who knows...*

But then the best part, the guy took each dollar bill and held it up to the light. I have worked in retail I knew what he was doing but he was so demonstrative about the whole thing it was comical, seven bills each one he held up for a good 10 seconds both sides... after the forth one I had to ask "what are you looking for?" he said "I'm not sure".... Which would explain why he was taking so long .... I just chuckled...*

Anyway I got out of there with the iPad, my friend is so happy with it and her husband bought one also a few months later.*

Great product, and I'm sure that in many places have good service. But I have not found this to be the case.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I do not know how long ago this was ~ if I missed that. But I would report that little incident.

August 2010

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is building stores left and right. In most retail operations, when they build a new store, an existing manager or assistant manager is moved to the new store. Trouble is, when some one is moved up, no one knows how they will do. Bad hiring skills, messing around with the employees, and other factors can ruin a store. Managing people is difficult and not everyone can do it right.

A few years ago, I applied for an advancement. I did not get the job because the other final choice was younger and had more background in the field. Everyone liked him. After getting the job, he went rule crazy and was inconsistent in how he applied the rules. After a few years, he got fired for several reasons, but what hurt him in the long run was he did not figure out that the basic rules have to apply to ever level, especially today. When an employee is rude, a good manager will start with counseling. If that doesn't work, under
law you usually have weeks of documenting before you can fire an incompetent employee. It is the large outfits like Apple that have to make sure they do everything right firing
employees due to all the lawyers and regulations. It might be nice if there was a way of
screening bad employees, but in a sense, that can be illegal, or too expensive. It also
ignores the human element. I had a few employees leave to make more money. Or they
could not handle the hours. I had one quit because a contractor accused him of theft
(which was actually his own son's doing). And all too often some quit because their home life is in the toilet.

Most reactions

Latest posts