What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid name for technical support staff

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for the record, I'm happy to let anyone who spends their days dealing with the public in a retail setting call themselves anything they like. "Savior" if that's their choice. I also suspect that there may be a difference in cultural expectations here. As sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory suggest, "genius" is as much a term of derision (light hearted hopefully) as respect in American culture. I suspect that might not be quite the case in Hong Kong.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, jsh for sharing your story! Love it-though a bit jealous about your 6 hour work week! In healthcare, our hours are very, very long!! :eek:

I think the biggest thing I feel missing from the OP is really the respect factor owed to the staff that are there to help him with his problem.

Well, to be accurate I'd have to say that in my years as an academic I seldom had less than a 60 hour work week. The six hours a week of teaching says more about the priority major universities assign to teaching than to the expectations about the amount of effort professors are expected to devote to their jobs...at least until they get tenure.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for the record, I'm happy to let anyone who spends their days dealing with the public in a retail setting call themselves anything they like. "Savior" if that's their choice. I also suspect that there may be a difference in cultural expectations here. As sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory suggest, "genius" is as much a term of derision (light hearted hopefully) as respect in American culture. I suspect that might not be quite the case in Hong Kong.

This reminded me of a hilarious 1970s Cantopop song from Hong Kong, "Genius and Idiot":

http://ponytone.com/streams/Hong Kong/Genius and Idiot.mp3

By Sam Hui: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Hui

Sorry, no English lyrics, but the hook is "Who's a genius? Who's an idiot?"

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
I think it's genius. Anyone who can explain a machine to me has attained Mensa status.

AA
image-3162639015.png

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right On

The word "pretentious" used by the original poster describes my experience in the Apple store precisely. I interacted with several apple employees and in each case they acted like they were sent from heaven to convert my technically ignorant soul to the "Apple Way". Give me a break. I was building, programming, and operating computers before their parents had teeth.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Billee said:
The word "pretentious" used by the original poster describes my experience in the Apple store precisely. I interacted with several apple employees and in each case they acted like they were sent from heaven to convert my technically ignorant soul to the "Apple Way". Give me a break. I was building, programming, and operating computers before their parents had teeth.

Lmao!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was a time when I thought that because I'd been doing something for so long, and doing it well, the young bloods hungry for a chance to prove themselves, couldn't teach me anything. Now that I know better, my star shines even brighter.

AA

Well said.

At work, we paired a top veteran with a savvy 20-something. We ended up getting way more out of them paired than we would've individually.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that it is hard for some people to learn to "flex their style" when dealing with others that are either too young or older than themselves. The Generation Gap is often times hard for some to deal with.

Most reactions

Latest posts