What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking os4 - Pros vs. Cons

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just for the record, does a restore take you back to original out-of-the-box setup... no data and no apps?

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you then sync, does it reload all that info (assuming a sync before lockup) or does it delete all the apps and data from iTunes?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you then sync, does it reload all that info (assuming a sync before lockup) or does it delete all the apps and data from iTunes?

Nothing will happen to iTunes if you restore, so you can easily resync all your media and apps (excluding jb apps). You can even restore your settings by applying a backup once the restore is complete (assuming you allowed a backup to be taken)

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I've never used iTunes enough to know what happens during a sync. My luck, it'd sync the empty iDevice and wipe the iTunes backup.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The biggest con at the moment is that there is no untethered jailbreak out yet for iOS 4.2.1. If you have iOS4.1 or 3.x.x, jailbreaking is easy and fun.

There are so many pros you could write a book about. The biggest thing for me is, their are so many things that Apple kind of got half right, and jailbreaking makes those things whole, like they should have been from the start. Take Photos/Camera Roll, you can't put your photos into folders on the iPad, it has to be done on your PC/Mac, along comes an app in the Cydia store, the store for jailbrake apps, and fixes it with an app. Want to change the look of you home page, hundreds of apps and themes for that. And the list goes on, and on,.........

What is the name of the photo app you speak of?

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The biggest con at the moment is that there is no untethered jailbreak out yet for iOS 4.2.1. If you have iOS4.1 or 3.x.x, jailbreaking is easy and fun.

snip

If I read the chart correctly, the only untethered JB for 4.2.1 is for the MAC. Is that still true?

FxpPX.png

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I read the chart correctly, the only untethered JB for 4.2.1 is for the MAC. Is that still true?

Yes, they have not released the Windows version yet due to performance issues. Technically, the untethered jailbreak is not on general release at all as it is still in beta and can only legally be used by people with legitimate access to 4.2beta3.

Most reactions

Latest posts