What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob & jailbreaking

Ipadfan2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wanting to jailbreak but I am still a bit unsure about it, I am currently running 4.2.1 will I need to upgrade before I jailbreak?
What does tethered And un-tethered mean?
What are the pros and cons of jail breaking if I Fu*k it bad will that be the end of my iPad?

Any advice is welcome

Cheers,

Ben

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome! Please have a look at the links below so to familiarize yourself with our forum rules.

I think that this is an accurate meaning ~ others can chime in!

Untethered means once you jailbreak it, the jailbreak stays on the device no matter what until you decide to get rid of it.

Teathered means that if you jailbreak then turn off your iPad, you will lose your JB

Last edited:

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't want to upgrade - 4.2.1 is jailbreakable untethered - it works flawlessly with greenpoisi0n. The only issue is that I believe apple has stopped signing 4.2.1 - meaning you can't reinstall that firmware if you wanted to or needed to. Download the latest version of tiny umbrella and try to back up your blobs - it will tell you if it succeeded....if it works, you can always restore back to 4.2.1 which is great. If tiny umbrella can't back up your blobs......worse case you jailbreak with greenpoisi0n now, and if you have to restore for any reason later, you will not be able to restore to 4.2.1, but you can restore with current firmware. Always backup your shsh blobs!!!!!!

OP
I

Ipadfan2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountaingamer said:
You don't want to upgrade - 4.2.1 is jailbreakable untethered - it works flawlessly with greenpoisi0n. The only issue is that I believe apple has stopped signing 4.2.1 - meaning you can't reinstall that firmware if you wanted to or needed to. Download the latest version of tiny umbrella and try to back up your blobs - it will tell you if it succeeded....if it works, you can always restore back to 4.2.1 which is great. If tiny umbrella can't back up your blobs......worse case you jailbreak with greenpoisi0n now, and if you have to restore for any reason later, you will not be able to restore to 4.2.1, but you can restore with current firmware. Always backup your shsh blobs!!!!!!

What is shah blobs?

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it basically allows you to downgrade your firmware to a lower version. This is important if you accidentally update to a iOS/firmware version that cannot be jailbroken - apple prevents you from downgrading your firmware, tiny Umbrella allows it if you ran it (tiny umbrella) while on the lower firmware while apple was signing the lower firmware.

OP
I

Ipadfan2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountaingamer said:
So.......did you jb?

Nah not yet,
I am still on the rig i will be home next week and jail breaking will be the first thing i do when i get home

Ben

Reaction score
So, I do have a question regarding SHSH blobs. From what I understand does Cydia save them automatically, no? At first launch it urged me to save them somewhere. But now after upgrading and being on an un-jb iPad, how would I go about retrieving these blobs? Is it even possible?

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you clicked "make my life easier" or whatever on cydia then your fine and all your shsh is stored (including newer firmware).
Backup your iPad first...
Download tinyumbrella, run it with admin privileges, connect your iPad, click save shsh - you should see all your blobs in the log. Continue if you want to downgrade.....
To restore you need to download with your computer the firmware you want to downgrade to (that you have saved blobs for)
Start the tss server on tiny umbrella
Open iTunes, hold down shift(windows) or option(Mac) and press RESTORE.
A window will open where you can choose the firmware you downloaded - pick it and go for it"......

OP
I

Ipadfan2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If any of you have time can you put yourself in my shoes and tell me step by step what I need to do/install to jailbreak.

I think I have an idea but I want to be sure,

Cheers

Ben

P.s sorry for being a pain in the arse.

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipadfan2011 said:
Hey guys,

If any of you have time can you put yourself in my shoes and tell me step by step what I need to do/install to jailbreak.

I think I have an idea but I want to be sure,

Cheers

Ben

P.s sorry for being a pain in the arse.

It looks pretty easy. A google search shows it. I haven't yet since I just got my iPad and can't tell if I should try to find 4.2 or do it on 3.2.2. As you can tell, I'm still reading too :)

Most reactions

Latest posts